What one 7mm-08 or 300 win mag help

roode301

Well I was ready to buy one in 7-08 but they have one just like it in 300 win mag.I started reloading so with that in mind witch one is the most versatile in your opinion.Or what one can I get the most diffrent loads.

Both will drop all game in the lower 48. The 7-08 will not punch you nearly as hard as the 300.
There are tons of loads for each one, now the 300 will run a much heavier bullet better if you have a need for that.
The 7-08 with a 130-140-150g bullet will do all you ask of it.
I am building my own 7-08 for my "big" game gun here in WY.
My son dropped an elk with a 140g bullet last year w/ 1 shot from his 7-08.

I live and hunt the best the west has to offer and own one of each. You will get alot more use from the 708. Can be an effective elk rifle with decent bullets and does everything smaller without pounding you.

The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge but the .300 is better when looking at large game. Less limits and it works just fine on smaller game too. The recoil is not severe, which you don't notice at all when shooting game.
I often use it for grouse when hunting elk. Once shot heads off two birds one shot. really impressed hunting partner watching.

You've picked 2 cartridges that are just totally different from each other. Not sure what I would choose.

At one time I owned a .30 mag and a 7mm RM, ended up selling the 7mm after seeing how versatile the .30 was.

But your choice of a 7-08 is interesting. Problem with the 300 mag is you won't shoot it much, recoil is very stout. You'd get more use out of the 7-08 but it won't kill like the .30.

7-08! If I didnt already buy a 7 rem mag a while ago, when I was younger and naive, I wouldnt have any long actions, let alone a magnum. Don't get me wrong, I like my 7 rm. But it is unnecessary.

The 7mm08 will do most anything you need from it. Find the right bullet and get er done. Btw, I think a 140 accubond will do any big game in the lower 48.

The 7mm-08 is the American alternative to the 7mm Mauser or the 7x57. A little shorter but a bit higher operating pressure (46,000 versus 52,000 CUP). With that comparison established it is worth noting that Rigby and Company thought the 7x57 a good enough round to call it the Rigby .275 and according to the A Square manual it was used as an "elephant thumper", not only for brain shots but for body shots as well. Realistically, I don't think anyone would recommend that today. It was also used extensively for lions, buffalo and leopard. That's not me talking, that's Finn Aagaard talking. I am not knocking the .300 but I am bragging on the 7mm. It will do all you want it to do in the lower 48 with a lot less powder and superior accuracy. Short action, light rifle, mild recoil, plenty of velocity, limitless supply of brass and bullets...what's not to like?

Last edited:
If your considering the 7mm08, I say get the 308. I have the 7mm08 and at times, getting a hold of these bullets is a hunt itself. Of course the 7mm08 can yield equal or better ballistics but BULLET SELECTION > ballistics.

Back