What mount system do you use on your Nightforce?

Tgunz64

Just ordered an NXS 5.5-22x56. Looking at mounting systems. Nightforce recommends a picatinney base which is fine with me. But what rings or 1 piece mounts are you guys liking?

Originally Posted By: Tgunz64Just ordered an NXS 5.5-22x56. Looking at mounting systems. Nightforce recommends a picatinney base which is fine with me. But what rings or 1 piece mounts are you guys liking?

Seekins bases and rings.

Nearly all my NF scope setups are held in place with NF pic rail and NF UL rings, with the exception of two and one of those uses a Near Mfg 3 ring/rail Alpha mount and the other is a NF UL Unimount.

The Near Alphamount is probably the finest setup I have ever used. It cost a little more but the quality is second to none. I used to have a Accumark 338-378 with a NF scope and no matter what I did, the scope would start moving after about ten rounds. Once I put the Near 3 ring Alphamount setup on, it never moved again.

Ok so I've been racking my brain on rings. Someone I know who shoots a lot says go steel because it flexes less. But the good stainless steel rings cost even more than the NF Aluminum/Titanium rings. Personally I don't think it's going to matter that much. What do you guys think?

I think you are over thinking it. IF you were in some harsh everin,ent and heavy duty life critical situations/use then Id say go with steel. In all reality the little 6-48 screws in the base are your weak point. Dont worry about it. FW707 said Seekins rings and base, and I recommended the same thing a few days ago.
Do yourself a favor and buy a decent inch/pounds torque wrench if you dont already have one.

I'm with B23 in that I have only used NF bases with NF UL rings unless it's on my Weatherby which has a Near Mfg base. Never had a problem with scopes moving under recoil from 308 win, 300 wby, or 35 Whelen. I probably could get away with less expensive mounting systems but never wanted to chance it. Why buy a Ferrari and then put cheap tires on it?

If NF or Seekins doesnt make a base for your X-Bolt, contact or look up Farrel Industries (Kenfarrel.com). They make great products too.

Tgunz, a quick google search says Talley makes a pic rail for your X-bolt. Not knowing your action size or the chambering, I didnt look further. Take a look. I believe Talley are well regarded.

Talley and EGW make Aluminum bases. I found a Murphy Precision that makes steel and titanium bases. I might go Murphy base and maybe NF rings or the Near Alpha mount if I feel up to spending that kind of money. Still considering seekins too

You don't have to use an M1913 rail...it just needs to be some kind of setup that positively don't move given the weight of NF scopes on a heavy recoiling rifle. I have one NF scope {SHV} and I had a lot of trouble with it. I first tried the Talley lightweights that came with my rifle....no good, then I tried the Leupolds {Redfield style} that have the rear windage adjustment. I got these because they were "in stock" at the gunstore where I bought the scope. Still wouldn't do it. The scope just would not hold zero. I called NF thinking it might be a bad scope and the guy said they would happily check it anytime, but that I had to use the recommended rings and bases. I switched to Leupold dual dovetails and solved the problem. Leupold Mark4 rings and bases are very good too.

Well I made a decision. I went steel and got the NF rings and Murphy Precision base. I also ordered the Flatline Ops "sniper" anti cant level. With all of this and the new scope it should make for a nice setup. In the future I might add an angle degree indicator. We'll see. Thanks for all of the help guys! Can't wait to get this bad boy mounted and out shooting!

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHDo you have a torque wrench? Theres also a certain way the scope should be mounted to insure it tracks/moves straight.

Yes, really simple too.

thumbup1.gif

Yes I have a torque wrench and a torque screw driver in inch pounds. I've already spoke with NF about the torque settings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tgunz64Yes I have a torque wrench and a torque screw driver in inch pounds. I've already spoke with NF about the torque settings.

Excellent!
Now all you need are feeler gauges and a plumb line.

Back