What is your hit / miss ratio on coyotes?

Tony, I am moving to Idaho immediately...

I typically make about 10 stands on a trip to the desert. Lately, I will call in one or two coyotes. If I could get to the 50% level, I think my wife would divorce me. Because, I would hunt every single saturday and sunday.

Hahaha. I know what you mean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's a tip...

Idaho, like other western states, has vast areas of sage flats that seem to go for hundreds of miles. Our calling area is marked by the unusual number of jackrabbits flattened on the highway. We setup our 2 week camp there, as it's 2-3 hours from town.

Tip 1: Rabbits = Coyotes. Hunt for the prey. I use the reverse tactic when looking for good pheasant ground in Iowa. Hawks = Pheasant. In Nebraska, I hunt for kangaroo rats...they equate to coyotes.

Tip 2: Drive the distance. Get out there farther than the average caller will go. Calling pressure is always higher in close proximity to cities or towns. Out West, we get onto 2-track roads for many, many miles. Calling is usually less productive near the major county type roads, due to the same caller convenience factor. Calling on 'virgin ears' of uncalled coyotes is the main ingredient for some awesome action.

All this plays into the percentages. It really has nothing to do with Idaho. These simple tactics work anywhere that I've ever called.

Tony

Back