What is this Coyote's Diet

Glenn I disagree with you buddy, its Paw Paw...Take a look at your pictures and then take a look at mine and tell me what it looks like...Honestly...

This is Paw Paw for those of you that dont know...Paw Paw is known as the poor mans banana or the prairie banana...

3909550375_d5bbc205751.jpg

pawpawlogo_large1.jpg

Pawpaw-fruit1.jpg

DSCN43431.jpg

Its not Honey Locust either because they are long and stringy like a green bean...Ive cut enough Honey Locust for firewood to know thats not right...
wink.gif

here you go McWalk,
these are persimmon beans. It would seem that them and paw paws are related. We don't have paw paws in N. Texas that I'm aware of, they may have them in TN.
normal_persimmon_seeds.jpg

persimmon meat.
normal_persimmon_pulp.jpg

coyote scat with persimmon beans.
normal_DSC06010.JPG

Here is another pix of persimmon seeds. I picked them up under a persimmon tree this am. The color in the photo is not quite right-they are more reddish brown than dark brown. We do have paw paws in TN too and I have some of them on my place also. But none fruited this year as far as I know. TnTnTn
wballgame023.jpg

They both look very similar dont they fellows...
grin.gif
Yea they are all over this area Paw Paws and persimmon...Id say youre right Glenn that they are related...

OK...I'll throw a twist into the mix.
I live in western Colorado, 30 miles from Utah, on I-70.
I was out taking the dog for a run and found some fresh scat that looked just like what MCWalk posted.
I don't know for sure, but I don't think we have persimmon's or Paw-paw's around here. I'll try to go out tomorrow and get a picture of what I found.
This has turned into an interesting post!!
Mark

Let me rephrase my last statement...I havent seen a persimmon in this area where I live since I was a kid though...I know out toward TN.they have both...
wink.gif
Thanks for sharing Guys...
grin.gif

Glenn, Paw Paws are really good to eat...People make cakes and all kinds of stuff out of them...They are better tasting than bananas....My grandaddy use to make wine out of them....

All I know is that this thread is full of _ _ _ _!

They say that a coyote will eat most anything, but aren't fox, especially greys well known for eating fruit, especially wild grapes?

Yes Sir Mr.WyoYote you are correct...Fox love grapes...We even have a grape named for the fox called Fox Grapes....I eat them all the time if I can get to them before the coons, birds and of course the fox eat them all up....
grin.gif
From what I know about the Fox Grape is that they only grow in the east....Ive heard some people call them Skunk Grapes also...

wow chad thats pretty cool! how do paw paw and persimions grow? like on a bush, vine, ect. i know i have persimions, but dont know about paw paw.

Originally Posted By: cathntr+1 on persimmons and we have them all over here in missouri-good eating too

They are quite tasty especially before they turn orange and get soft. Be sure to try some while they're the green color. I had my kids try the green ones when they were just toddlers, yum.

I'd say Persimmons. We have Paw Paws around here too, but not as many.

A gal I know makes Persimmon Cookies that are excellent, but my scat doesn't look like that afterwards...

Originally Posted By: MCWALK Glenn, Paw Paws are really good to eat...People make cakes and all kinds of stuff out of them...They are better tasting than bananas....My grandaddy use to make wine out of them....

Chad, paw paw wine will "put a hurt'n on ya"... I know this from first hand experience!!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Houser in NCOriginally Posted By: cathntr+1 on persimmons and we have them all over here in missouri-good eating too

They are quite tasty especially before they turn orange and get soft. Be sure to try some while they're the green color. I had my kids try the green ones when they were just toddlers, yum.

Houser, my girlfriend tried green persimmons for the first time in her life earlier this year. She did not find the same humor in it as what I did!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Back