What I'm looking for

dzrtram - Well I was actually talking about both at almost the same time. Both are very similar in shape and size. Sort of companion rifles for the 10/22. While the lever guns are not what you are asking about, this design is much different from what you think of as being a lever gun. Again it looks much like a 10/22, the lever design feeds from a BIG 10/22 type mag. and the lever has a very short through. A neat quick little rifle. The Deerslayer is still available in used gun racks though. There were two of these rifles. The early one was difficult to unload. You needed to cycle the shells through the action to unload. The later models had a button to unload the mag. These both had a tubular mag. hiden in the stock.

Michael and Paul,
The Ruger .44 Deerfied is the new "Deerslayer". The original Deerslayer was not a very reliable rifle. I've shot them and watched frustrated others try to shoot them at a local range. They jammed something terrible. That's why they took them off the market. I'd have to read or hear a LOT of glowing reports to even consider one, even now that they've changed them. It's a good idea, and I hope it works out, but I won't hold my breath waiting for glowing, positive reports. However, I am going to keep reading and listening because the idea is a good one.

Originally posted by Michael J. McCasland:
[qb]dzrtram - Well I was actually talking about both at almost the same time. Both are very similar in shape and size. Sort of companion rifles for the 10/22. While the lever guns are not what you are asking about, this design is much different from what you think of as being a lever gun. Again it looks much like a 10/22, the lever design feeds from a BIG 10/22 type mag. and the lever has a very short through. A neat quick little rifle. The Deerslayer is still available in used gun racks though. There were two of these rifles. The early one was difficult to unload. You needed to cycle the shells through the action to unload. The later models had a button to unload the mag. These both had a tubular mag. hiden in the stock.[/qb]

More along the lines of "Two guns, one caliber", you may wish to consider the Ruger 77/44. Its the bolt action in .44 patterned after their M77 line. I have been impressed with mine . It will feed most any round (including my own cast flatnose slugs) with ease and from the lightest loads all the way up to heavy redline powder charges for the .44 Remington Mag. (you may not wnat to go that far, though) Very reliable, very potent, and incredibly accurate, this is a very econimical choice. Even more so if you reload . AS for the a sidearm choice, a Ruger Redhawk is aslways a good choice. As you know, the .44 is a proven load and will do a number on any of the above mentioned critters. Just my 2cents worth...

Back