what draw weight you guys workin with?

lon0121

for deer season! also what is the minimum draw weight you would use to kill deer?

what about draw weights on elk and bear?

thanks guys!
lonnie

I shoot a Mathews Drenalin not sure if ill be shooting it maxed out at 70+ or turned down to around 65 or so...

My brother is shooting a Hoyt Maxxis with 60lb lbs maxed out...

The lowest I would go would be around 55lbs personally

just using practice tips for now, i have some old broadheads sort of like the trditional ones you find for 15 bucks at walmart! ha
so tips are appreciated in that department as well lol,

lonnie

I shoot 65 pounds that seems to be were my bow shoots good. More weight is not always a good thing. I have found that every bow I've owned likes a different draw weight. I know people that shoot and kill deer consistantly with 45 pound draw. As zach said shot placment is everything. As for broadheads I would stay clear from mechanicals( I know ill get my head ripped off for this). I shoot muzzy 3 blade 100 grain broadheads and love them.

i belive it is better to have a bow maxed out... if you want to shoot 60#, it is better to have a 50 to 60# limbs maxed, than 60 to 70# limbs minumum... imo.....

Originally Posted By: jlutcher51I shoot 65 pounds that seems to be were my bow shoots good. More weight is not always a good thing. I have found that every bow I've owned likes a different draw weight. I know people that shoot and kill deer consistantly with 45 pound draw. As zach said shot placment is everything. As for broadheads I would stay clear from mechanicals( I know ill get my head ripped off for this). I shoot muzzy 3 blade 100 grain broadheads and love them.

i prefer the more traditional blades as well!

thumbup.gif
+1

I shoot a 28 inch DL with a 65 pound DW. My arrows are a total of 28.75 from inside of the nock to the end of the carbon not including the broadhead. 100 grain Grim Reaper HADES Fixed Broadheads with Victory arrows. pass through's at over 50 yards. Quality Practice everyday if you can. Not the Quantity but the Quality of the practice is what matters.

Back in the 1960's, I killed deer with a 50 pound Bear bow. I had a good friend that had a wife that killed a nice doe with a 35 pound recurve. Any modern compond bow over 40 pounds will have no trouble killing a deer. You just have to hit it in the right spot.

Originally Posted By: shanedoggi belive it is better to have a bow maxed out... if you want to shoot 60#, it is better to have a 50 to 60# limbs maxed, than 60 to 70# limbs minumum... imo.....

Yep !

A good broadhead is more important than heavy draw weight. With a recurve, I shot 50 or 55lbs. My Dad however never shot over 45lb in a long bow or recurve. He used a long slender broadhead and kept them sharp enough to shave with and would get pass throughs if the shot was good.

Shayne

Mine are both set at about 68 lbs. just because I want maximum speed. Not necessarry though. I've seen Mr. Nugent shoot them with 45 lb. draw weight on TV and they ended up in his freezer. Shot placement is what is importand. Put a good blade in the lungs or heart and he won't care how many pounds were behind it.

Back