What do you do for work?

NProell82

I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone on here does for a career?

I am a Logistics Coordinator for a Machine Tool (CNC Machine) dealer. I coordinate all trucking and rigging for getting our customer's machines from the manufacturers to their doors.

How about all of you?

Being retired, it's what ever Momma Turtle decides that I will be doing.....Seriously, I now have a wider variety of things to do every day...While it doesn't "make me income", being able to do things that I used to have to pay for someone else to do saves me actual money...

My previous vocation was as a LEO and Private Investigator, plus a bunch of service activies..While there was variety, a lot (almost all) involved mostly paper work and record keeping...85% boredom, 15% excitement, bordering on terror of some degree...

RETIRED!

However for over 25 yrs I was on an airplane 2-3 days a week covering 75% of this great country, consulting with contractors and wholesalers who purchased and used our steel building components. My employer had 5 mfg plants spread throughout Az, Ca, Oregon and Washington. A good deal of time was spent at each plant with production mgrs concerning quality control and research and development of new products, as well as product modifications to respond to changing markets. Our product line included concrete forming equipt, drywall products such as various cornerbead varieties, stucco metals and various roofing products such as roof vents, bird stop, edge metals, saddle metals and w-valley from galvanized metal as well as copper. Interesting job meeting with a variety of interesting people from the everyday drywaller, roofer, concrete guys, to the owners and GMs of the biggest and most well known homebuilders in the nation. There is a very high likelihood that steel components on the house or apartment you own today came from one of our plants.

I am in early "retirement", and on S.S. Disability, due to a long laundry list of health issues (too many to mention).

Although I have done many things in my life...{farming; factory work; electrical construction; warehouse supervisor; ect}....my last 5 years of employment, I worked as a delivery driver, for Jim's Formal Wear (a nation-wide formal wear rental company).
The distribution center that I worked out of, was here in Salina, KS.
I ran routes throughout Kansas, Oklahoma & Nebraska.
I "retired" 5 years ago, and still miss that job. (I liked the fact that, while on the road, I was basically my own "boss".)

As a hobby, that occasionally "earns" me a few extra dollars...in 2007, I began attempting to make my own predator calls (with zero interest in selling them).
After several months of persuading, by guys like Kerry Carver, Tony Tebbe, bearmanric...and others...that I should be getting money for my calls...in 2009, I became a HOB here.
To my surprise, it's been quite a ride!
cool.gif
.....although, in recent years, my health problems have sometimes caused some delays in finishing orders (which shames me).
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

Clean poop out of Koo-koo clocks.

Seriously, I am a TABB Balancer. I do air and hydronic systems balancing. Usually Hospitals, labs, and large commercial buildings.

I currently manage the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) of all phases of civil engineering and infrastructure for the City of Enid, Ok. I quality control and publish all data into an online mapping solution to support our engineers, surveyors and their staff. I also support our fire department, police department and County Emergency Management with their mapping needs. I love my job..

i do specialty repair work for retail stores - specifically big box pet stores.

i'm the guy who fixes leaks and broken/damaged equipment (pumps, light fixtues, etc) on the big walls of fish tanks you see in them as well as their other small animal habitats where they keep the lizards, guinea pigs, snakes and birds.

it translates into a lot of windshield time driving from place to place. I average 3500 miles in a typical month. on a given week i suspect i spend about 2-3x the time in the car as i do actually in the store fixing stuff.

i can truly say i'm in a niche industry. there's maybe 150-200 people in north america that do what i do.

I was a flooring dealer for over 20 years retiring early to care for my wife. Currently looking for a position as a piano player in a whore house.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: canislatrans54I am in early "retirement", and on S.S. Disability, due to a long laundry list of health issues (too many to mention)

Me too. Before that I did tree work. Now I clean the house and have dinner ready when the wife get's home from work and stay bored the rest of the time.

Dairy Farmer,plant worker,another plant job,EMS,Corrections officer,Gas company,Backhoe operator,dump truck driver,OTR truck driver,Communications Company(contractor),Comm company hired inhouse,Stayed with communications companies and held every position from installer to regional construction manager.Worked for 7 different communications companies in the same region(kept getting bought out)for almost 30 years.
It took me a lot of interviews to find something I liked.
Now retired. Best job yet.

I was in the Corps for 8 years. Then completed an apprenticeship as a sheetmetal worker. After that I was an operator at a paper mill for ten years. Was the union vp for 6 of that. If you ever use those little tee pee solo cups at a water cooler ot the condiment cups at a fast food joint then you have seen my work before it was sold to solo. I left there to boil crude oil at a refinery on the Texas Gulf Coast. I have never been without a job and cant contemplate retiring. The thought of not having a job just seems strange at this point.

Spent 20 years building custom sailboats from 28 to 46 footers and the last 16 years have been building interior's for private jets, from Cessna citation's to Gulfstream G 550's.
With a time in-between building and remodeling houses

Window washer in a coal mine, and partime I work at the museum taking the statues to the bathroom twice a day for piss.

Back