What did you do today in the world of reloading?

Playing with Varget and Benchmark loads in my 223 with 55 grain V MAX,will use 55 till my 53s show up.Glad I have a bunch of 55s laid back

Last edited:
Got a bunch of factory crimp dies from Grafs. Went ahead and ordered 100 of the Peterson .300 Win Mag "Long" cases for the Sako 75 Hunter as well. Gonna try my chrono test with known good brass.

Put together the last of my 284 Winchester loads for this fall with 150 eldx.

Also finished the last 300 of my 12ga trap/sporting clay reloads. I’m out of empty hulls and almost out of primers, wads, powder and shot.

Loaded and shot some 160gr Sierra hpbt in my 284 Winchester. They shot great, I’ll put more together tonight.

Last night and this morning I loaded around 150 2 3/4” 12ga #3 1 1/8oz steel for ducks. I ran out of STEEL powder so I’m done with that until I find more powder, which I’m guessing will be along time.

I wouldn’t guess STEEL powder is a big seller and real high on the manufactures list to make.

After having an established load in my 5.56 NATO, 24 inch bull barreled AR15 for years, i am changing it up. Going to try N135 instead of W748.

I get "1/2" 5 shot groups with 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at just under 3100 fps. I wonder what the group sizes and velocity will be with N135?

Seems Tuesday will be my gun range day.

BIL and I shot some 10 shot groups same powder/primer but different cases(Lapua and Winchester) with one his 222's. Saw much more consistent group from Lapua brass with both Nosler and Hornady bullets. The Lapua brass also showed slightly higher velocities, using same charge. But I had told my BIL that would happen, so the load was one that had shot well, about 2 grains under book max.

I organized my 2nd stash of Powder!!!

51429779376_9fd674a245_k.jpg

Ordered 1000 overpriced Hornady XTP in .44 cal 240 gr. Finally found a Lee FCD for .45-70. Still need to find a reasonably priced Swift reloading manual

Originally Posted By: Zastava223rem
skinney said:

Good lord lol, all H1000 or mixed? I have powder envy

Top 10lbs is all H1K, the 8 pounders are Varget, H4350, Titegroup, I also have a dozen lbs of N570 for my Norma and 10lbs of Retumbo... then I'm not sure what's in my first stash... I think I'm to the point I have more powder than primers can handle... But I'll fix that soon enough.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: Zastava223rem
skinney said:

Good lord lol, all H1000 or mixed? I have powder envy

Top 10lbs is all H1K, the 8 pounders are Varget, H4350, Titegroup, I also have a dozen lbs of N570 for my Norma and 10lbs of Retumbo... then I'm not sure what's in my first stash... I think I'm to the point I have more powder than primers can handle... But I'll fix that soon enough.

I hear ya, im somewhere north of 25.0 lbs of powder but even after this summer im down around 38k-40k primers mixed between everything most of which are small pistol or small pistol magnums. I bought a good 8k primer or so locally in the last few months to bump that up a little bit. What are you running H1000 in? I just picked up a lb to try in my 300 Win mag after disappointing results with IMR7977.

Last edited:
N135 shot great for me around 24.7-24.9 grains. Velocity around 3150 or so. Higher charges than that showed a slow trend of groups opening up.

I chrono'ed my control load of 26.8 grains of W748 and at these temps, the velocity came in identical to the best groups/velocity of N135.

At this point i will just stick with what works. Federal Premium brass, WSR's, Nosler 55gr BT's and 26.7-26.9 grains of W748.

Originally Posted By: Zastava223rem

I hear ya, im somewhere north of 250 lbs of powder but even after this summer im down around 38k-40k primers mixed between everything most of which are small pistol or small pistol magnums. I bought a good 8k primer or so locally in the last few months to bump that up a little bit. What are you running H1000 in? I just picked up a lb to try in my 300 Win mag after disappointing results with IMR7977.

I run it in a 300WM, but got it for my 6.5 PRC, however the load I am currently using with Retumbo, shoots dots. So I'm going to only be using it for the 300 currently, AND I may be building another, so I'll have plenty if that's the case.

make sure your insurance company dont see those pics/quantities. that'll void your homeowners faster than you can blink lol

even with quantities under 50 lbs... you're supposed to have a proper powder cabinet to store it in.

safety first and all that.

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Info-Doc-Smokeless-Powder.pdf
Quote:11-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities
not exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg) shall be permitted to be stored in original
containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg), but not
exceeding 50 lb. (22.7 kg), shall be permitted to be stored in residences where kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least
1 in. (25.4 mm) nominal thickness.

I loaded up some 1oz trap loads now that I finally got the right combination of primers, wads,hulls,and powder. Found a hand full of 190gr rn for my 303Sav so will load them up later tonight

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onemake sure your insurance company dont see those pics/quantities. that'll void your homeowners faster than you can blink lol

even with quantities under 50 lbs... you're supposed to have a proper powder cabinet to store it in.

exceeding 50 lb. (22.7 kg), shall be permitted to be stored in residences where kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least

That's very good information as most of my propellant is stored in a Gallowtech Cabinet. Glad you pointed that out I'll be sure to move a couple 8 pounders back to the Cabinet! As well as telling every gun shop and large retailer that has 20+ lbs on every shelf they are in violation. Might have to wait till more powder shows up again [beeep].

ya... be a [beeep] shame to have something silly bite you in the behind - especially when you have proper storage nearby to utilize.

doesnt hurt to remind others who dont have it that they might need to get something constructed too.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onemake sure your insurance company dont see those pics/quantities. that'll void your homeowners faster than you can blink lol

Did I say 250 lbs? That was a typo, meant 25.0
cool.gif

Appreciate the heads up. Never knew a lot of that to be law/regulation. Looks like I need to get some wood and start that project.

Back