What did /do you do ?

Tim Neitzke

After eating some interweb popping corn for years, I got to thinking. It's easy to see some peoples dealings with money and wants if you watch long enough.

This is not thread is not to pick on anyone in general,just a lil fun and maybe abit helpful to some.

I grew up closer to the poor end of the scale vs the silver spoon end. Both sides of my family had farms and worked a 40hr/week shop job. Not being super smart, I did take heed to good work ethics and saving money.
As a young man I would find something I wanted/needed. I would do much research via magazine and stores, till I was forsure that is what I wanted.
Then I would start saving it could have been months or even a year or so before I could pay for it. I always kept focused and never gave in for something else, unless it was better than the original goal.
Not once that I can remember,did I ever settle for less or that's good enough.

It's pretty easy to get a wild hair and want to have "it" now. Which is fine,if you have the money and it's really what you want.

So, now that I'm done rambling ....
What kind of person are you , past and current ? Do you hold true to your goals or get whatever you can "now" to just scratch that itch ?

*** A few "got to have it's " from my youth ...
Rem 700 243
Berkley fishing rods
Diawa spinning reels
CCI mini mags
Easton arrows

Tim

I grew up on the low end. My parents worked hard for the few things we had and the duplex we lived in. They didn't buy there first house till my sister and I were out of the house.

I new better to ask for anything.. I had to work for it.

Now fast forward to me now... I'm 40 years old and a husband and father of three girls.

Being a gun nut, I've been through junk Guns, and now only spend my money on the best I can afford, and sometimes not afford
smile.gif

I guess it all depends on where your at in this hunting, shooting, long range game! For me I'm all in, i will spend what ever it takes to get the best piece of gear I need. I mean why not... I've worked my azz off for it
smile.gif

Bob

Last edited:
I grew up in a small town. Mom and Dad split when I was 15 and she raised 4 kids on what she made as a cashier.I put myself through two years of college with the money I made hustling pool.Seems a waste of time now as I ended up as a welder/fabricator in an oil field related shop. Spent 28 1/2 years there before the moved the plant to Kentucky. Unfortunately they left the employees in Oklahoma. Being old enough to retire, I did. I got a decent severance and had a pretty good 401K so with SSA benefits, I get by. I, like others, like nice toys but my income doesn't allow for the upper end stuff so I usually get whats in my budget at the time. I did get a PT job at a gun shop but only work one day a week but it pays for reloading supplies. I did budget a nice used Harley in the budget so its all good. I get by pretty comfortably.

Interesting idea for a thread. Like you I get ideas in my head about what others are like by reading between the lines in their threads.

Grew up on the edge of a small town, we raised cattle and farmed. I spent all summer as a kid putting up hay instead of at the pool like most of my friends. Dad never had a day off but we got Sundays off to go to church with Mom.

I got into shooting when Dad won a BL22 at the implement dealer in a raffle and gave it to me when I was 11 for that years haying wages. I was in hog heaven! The local gunsmith had a range 1/4 mile from our house so I would go hang out with him when I had the chance and saw him make his "custom" rifles out of Mausers and Springfields for people, glass bed and checker them, and test hand loads. He was a pilot in WWII and is still alive.

I like nice things but I'm not into electronics, furniture or the latest model of car. I want quality but not frills. My firearms have consistently gotten to be of higher quality as I've aged but I also see value in some of the bargain rifles out there now. I'm constantly amazed at how accurate, adaptable and reliable the AR15 platform is and have them in 7 or 8 calibers. One thing I'd upgrade if I had the funds would be most of my optics, great glass is great to have.

Work on railroad tracks for BNSF which is hard nasty work sometimes. We get paid decent but earn it I think. Raising 3 young girls and trying to give them a decent work ethic by helping out on our old farmstead acreage we are fixing up. Hoping this world doesn't get any crazier and they have a decent future, and know how real stuff works and not just how facebook works.

I grew up in a tiny town of 212 people but we had 6 bars and a liqueur store. My dad worked for the city as the water guy and ran equipment on the weekends. Mom was a secretary and worked at the pizza/beer joint on the weekends. I learned from watching them work so hard to save what you can and work for what you want. My dad passed when I was 13 and so my sister and me went to work where we could doing what we could to help out. I always loved fishing and hunting so I would put back some money I made every month to get what I wanted. Now I'm 34 with a wife and 2 kids. I work for the county for 8 hours then farm, mechanic, run equipment for whoever needs an operator. The side jobs help with the bills and any cash is usually gun money. Now I've gotten into the custom rigs so I have to put in more hours just to get one but it's well worth it in the end.

Interesting, but thoughtful discussion so far.

I was raised mainly by my mom, with my dad passing away when I was 10, and my step-dad not really caring about doing anything with us (they divorced in my teens).

Even as a young kid, I worked at any job I could get. Delivering papers on my bike for the L.A. Herald Examiner, then for a local pest control guy, who paid me to get up at 3AM and help him spray large trees by pulling hose around, setting, and cleaning out gopher traps, as well as numerous other jobs. It was seriously hard work, but it kept me busy well into my teens, and he paid well.

We were very poor, and I saved as much money as I could for the things I wanted. Once I got into hunting, my first pellet gun, a Daisy 880, was purchased without my anti-gun mom knowing. A Winchester shotgun and a Ruger 10/22 followed soon after, with my brother buying the shotgun for me (with my money), because he was 4 years older. All those guns sat in the closet of this 14-15yo teenager, with my mom being none-the-wiser (she worked a lot to put food on the table, and pay the mortgage).

I was lucky and had some good hunting mentors, who were ethical and taught me the importance of integrity (doing the right thing when no one is looking). They also taught me that firearms should be cared for properly, even the "cheap" ones.

Nowadays, I find that I focus in on firearms that are interesting, but affordable. I have some high-dollar rifles, but those were purchased when they were not so expensive. The one firearm I regret selling, was a Ruger O/U in 28 gauge. I got it for a great price, but when my family had a particularly rough few months, I sold it to raise some funds.

I will always try to sell a few firearms in order to fund other purchases. In fact, I think only a couple of my current rifles were purchased outside that process.

Sorry so long...

Eric
cool.gif

Last edited:
I spent the first half of my adult life (so far) as a cop. I made ok money for some (at times) really hard work.

2nd half as a real estate broker, I make stupid money for imo not much work. And no matter how badly I screw up, no one will die. I have a unique perspective amongst my peers. It's funny when they complain about stress.

I grew up really poor, my immediate family still struggles. I'm by far the success story. And I work my [beeep] off. It's all easy for me, but I don't sit around waiting for mana from heaven. Is just not my 'job' all the time keeps that keeps me moving. My hobbies make me more than my job. And they're by far more demanding.

I spent most of my money on booze, drugs and women. The rest I just wasted it.

I grew up in the middle class I guess. Dad worked hard but we never wanted for anything. First starting out on my own was very tough. Took the best part of 15 years for me to become successful. For the last 20 years I have been very lucky.

10 years ago, I had more guns than you could shake a stick at. I bought them and sold them all the time but I never really had exactly what I wanted. In the last few years, I got rid of all of them and started over getting each gun exactly like I wanted it and not near as many.

Last edited:
I grew up good looking and talented. I kicked around doing some modeling and that got me into photography. Hef asked me to become one of Playboys photographers but I got fired when all the ladies became infatuated with me and Hef lost his action. I don't miss it, that's awfully tiring stuff. Since then I've won some gold in the Olympic Games, guided for dangerous game in Africa, made some scientific discoveries of importance and done some black op missions with special forces. Can't wait until I turn 21 and can buy a beer.
wink.gif

My Dad was a River Boat Captain & Pilot and my Mom was mainly a House Wife and cleaned houses and a few Businesses to earn extra money to help out.Dad was gone most of the time and Us 3 Boys and 1 Sister usually drove Mom crazy between fighting and running around finding things to get in to and get hurt needing stitches or Tetanus Shots from stepping on nails or getting hurt on our Bikes!

We learned early in life to work to earn money to buy better clothes/shoes or to even put a .22LR in lay away to go Squirrel hunting with.We never stole anything,We mowed grass,loaded Wood Trucks after School to earn money and if We wanted anything nice We worked extra for it.Dad gave me His Remington model 742 30-06 before He passed away,I never got myself a New Gun til I was in my 40's and could afford it after paying my bills getting financially ahead,if I get another Gun it's because I worked extra hours to pay for it because my Family and Bills come first.
When I was growing up Mom would sew material on our Pants legs to make them last longer and We grew so fast We always got clothes,handed down to Us from the Older Siblings.Many Businesses in Town allowed Us Kids to put clothes and,shoes in lay away and when We,paid them off We took the items Home so We learned to build up our good credit at the Ripe Old Age of 12,13 and 15 years on up.

As a Young Teenager and into my 20's/30's I learned to work on my own Vehicles keeping them running and enjoying collecting my Old Pontiac GTO'S and LeMans.I've hauled wood,mulched yards,was a Dishwasher a Life Guarded,Security Guard on the weekends and have been at my current steady Job for 39 years...helped build My House and kept My Family fed and safe,lost My Mom & Dad several years ago and 2 Older Brothers,learned to enjoy Life more,Cherish My Family the most and enjoy the Company of Friends.

Originally Posted By: GCI grew up good looking and talented. I kicked around doing some modeling and that got me into photography. Hef asked me to become one of Playboys photographers but I got fired when all the ladies became infatuated with me and Hef lost his action. I don't miss it, that's awfully tiring stuff. Since then I've won some gold in the Olympic Games, guided for dangerous game in Africa, made some scientific discoveries of importance and done some black op missions with special forces. Can't wait until I turn 21 and can buy a beer.
wink.gif

I am GC's role model and mentor.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: GCI grew up good looking and talented. I kicked around doing some modeling and that got me into photography. Hef asked me to become one of Playboys photographers but I got fired when all the ladies became infatuated with me and Hef lost his action. I don't miss it, that's awfully tiring stuff. Since then I've won some gold in the Olympic Games, guided for dangerous game in Africa, made some scientific discoveries of importance and done some black op missions with special forces. Can't wait until I turn 21 and can buy a beer.
wink.gif

I am GC's role model and mentor.

Yep! When I grow up I wanna be just like fw707. Then I'll really have some fun!!!

My parents were working class that always found ways to make and save extra money. Dad worked a regular job as a parts manager for the local Chevrolet dealership, and drove bulk milk truck on the weekends to make extra money. He had a model 12 16 gauge shotgun, a Marlin 30-30, and a 22 rifle. I got my first gun a 22 from my dads dad, when I was 12, and barrowed do a 30-30 for deer hunting. I only had 3 guns for the first 20 years we were married ( 22, 30-30, 12 gauge) once the youngest of my 3 kids was nearing the end of high school I started to have extra money to buy guns and update hunting equipment. My wife and I have always worked our regular jobs, plus ran a part time cleaning service for 15 years ( I work as a truck driver putting in 65 hours a week from April to Christmas). Now I have a nasty gun addiction, but I don't drink or smoke, so I have the money to support my habit. We don't have any payments other than the house and living expenses so we are doing OK. This is an interesting thread to read. Well time to hit the sack since I have to be at work at 5:00 tomorrow morning.

Originally Posted By: GCI grew up good looking and talented. I kicked around doing some modeling and that got me into photography. Hef asked me to become one of Playboys photographers but I got fired when all the ladies became infatuated with me and Hef lost his action. I don't miss it, that's awfully tiring stuff. Since then I've won some gold in the Olympic Games, guided for dangerous game in Africa, made some scientific discoveries of importance and done some black op missions with special forces. Can't wait until I turn 21 and can buy a beer.
wink.gif

Liar liar. You plagiarized this from woodless. Lol.

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatOriginally Posted By: GCI grew up good looking and talented. I kicked around doing some modeling and that got me into photography. Hef asked me to become one of Playboys photographers but I got fired when all the ladies became infatuated with me and Hef lost his action. I don't miss it, that's awfully tiring stuff. Since then I've won some gold in the Olympic Games, guided for dangerous game in Africa, made some scientific discoveries of importance and done some black op missions with special forces. Can't wait until I turn 21 and can buy a beer.
wink.gif

Liar liar. You plagiarized this from woodless. Lol.

He is a legend in certain circles...

Farm kid ,my first was Grandpa's 22 pump,when he died cousin claimed it !At 16 dad gave me a 6mm model 600. Being a lefty is a pain but now I have aquired mostly lefty rifles and ou scatterguns. I do layaway for most stuff it keeps me focused and the cash does not disappear for everyday stuff.I remember a Mossberg 22 mag my Dad brought home with the itty bitty scope oh what a tack driver it was ,he must have got short of money and it disappeared ! At 66 years old I've never grown up ,I don't regret all the huge amount of time I've spent hunting and fishing ,time in the saddle in the wilderness ,smoky campfires and countless empty traps in the snow. God Bless my wife of 47 years ,the only thing that that kept out of hunting for 5 years was the accidential death of my only son at 10 years old. God has been good to me and my family and I thank Him .

My parents moved us out of the city when I was 5. I grew up in the middle of nowhere, 40 miles from the bigger cities. in the middle of 15 acres of trees. My sister and I started in a double wide, and moved up to a functional construction zone. for 13 years my dad commuted 50 miles one way to work, and my mom worked part-time in the small town we were living in; while building our home from the ground up. We didn't have much spare cash, as everything went into the house. at 14 I got a my first rifle a savage 110 in 30-06, that I have since sold when I needed bill money. I have regretted it ever since. Now I am 30 years old and own a home in Montana, with my beautiful wife. I'm in debt up to my eyeballs (degree, house, new truck). But, I have reached every goal I have set so far in my life, and I am currently waiting for a phone call from probation and Parole. Right now I work as a Juvenile Corrections counselor (read: nanny). I don't have a lot of spare cash, but I'm saving up the best I can.

Back