What brass is this?

hunt0168

I purchased a few different rounds for testing in my new Tikka 243. I grabbed some made by HSM as I’ve had good experiences with other rounds in the past. Can someone identify this brass? I’ve not seen this stamp before and wondering what it is, and if it’s worth saving?

HSM loads that I’ve used previously were loaded using Winchester or Hornady brass. I don’t currently reload but I save my brass for when the day comes that I do.

Yes starline, that’s an easy one. I had some I was scratching my head on the other day. it was old military 308, Lake City, brass that someone necked down to 243. All the necks were cracked on them as well so they got tossed.

Appreciate the help guys. Is it worth hanging onto as a decent reloading option if I ever jump into that? Planning on picking up a case of this ammo as it’s shooting very well.

I've been shooting the HSM SST's and Vmax's out with my 6mm arc and haven't had any issues. I think that starline and hornady are the only two that make the 6mm arc brass. Only difference I've noticed is that the HSM ammo, the starline brass doesn't look as clean and shiny as the hornady brass.

I've been shooting the HSM SST's and Vmax's out with my 6mm arc and haven't had any issues. I think that starline and hornady are the only two that make the 6mm arc brass. Only difference I've noticed is that the HSM ammo, the starline brass doesn't look as clean and shiny as the hornady brass.
Yeah, I would agree that it doesn’t look as polished as the hornady ammo or other HSM ammo I have. These 243 HSM are labeled “Varmint” loaded with 75 gr V-Max. For my 204 Ruger they are HSM “Varmint Gold” loaded with 35gr Bergers. Higher price tag and polished up nicely.

I prefer Starline (and Lapua) to most others for reloading, its more uniform than Hornady IMO.
I use up Hornady in semi-autos as throw away, and keep Starline for precision bolt action reloading.
Have had these (6.5 CM www) tables for a while ..

Attachments

• 6.5cm_brass_vols.JPG
    6.5cm_brass_vols.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 6.5cm_brass_wts.JPG
    6.5cm_brass_wts.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Yeah, I would agree that it doesn’t look as polished as the hornady ammo or other HSM ammo I have. These 243 HSM are labeled “Varmint” loaded with 75 gr V-Max. For my 204 Ruger they are HSM “Varmint Gold” loaded with 35gr Bergers. Higher price tag and polished up nicely.

I noticed that some places have the HSM "blemished" ammo for sale. I'm wondering if that's what I have been buying. It shoots clean and my rifle likes it, so I keep buying it.

Back