What am I doing wrong? Cases getting stuck in chamber

AWS- I don't have a bushing die but thanks for the clarification. It wasn't a big deal to pull 100 or so and my 8 year old son enjoyed "helping".

This is probably a stupid question but how does that primer crimp tool work? Mine is the usual type that you chuck up in a drill and ream it out but my results haven't been great and sometimes it is a struggle to get a new primer seated properly.

The die goes into the press and it has a shell holder on the top of it and you put the piece of brass in it. The pin goes on top of the ram. When you raise the ram the pin goes through the die and into the primer pocket swaging the crimp out of the shell.

Just pull the handle on the press and you have a case without a crimp.

Originally Posted By: AWSThe die goes into the press and it has a shell holder on the top of it and you put the piece of brass in it. The pin goes on top of the ram. When you raise the ram the pin goes through the die and into the primer pocket swaging the crimp out of the shell.

Just pull the handle on the press and you have a case without a crimp.

RCBS makes one too:

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9481-Primer-...&ref=plSrch

A bit pricey, but if you swage a LOT of brass, the Dillon works very well.

Especially with the addition of a rubber band. The blue rubber band is a nice touch on this one, but any other color band works equally well.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Yep, I need one of those primer pocket swaging tools. I see that RCBS makes one similar to the Dillon for a little less money. Thanks

A good sharp drill bit in a drill press at low speed works just fine for removing primer crimps and a lot faster than most tools in a press. I did 4000 FC match crimped primer brass during the winter a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GLShooterNever pull an AR firing pin while checking for function. Almost guanteeded to lock it up and may require a whole lot of gyrations to clear it.

Greg
GLShooter, can you explain this. I may have been lucky, since i haven't had any problems. Thanks

Originally Posted By: mtboyA good sharp drill bit in a drill press at low speed works just fine for removing primer crimps and a lot faster than most tools in a press. I did 4000 FC match crimped primer brass during the winter a couple of years ago.

while thats functional, there is also a significant risk of taking too much meat out of that primer pocket.

for those just getting going but looking for a more failsafe method of reaming, consider using the RCBS Military crimp remover.

you can chuck one up in a drill, and since its got a stop (you can only cut so deep) its significantly safer than using a drill bit, or a chamfer tool

31xt0P2g8%2BL.jpg

any standard 8-32 threaded tool can replace the thread post, i use my old lyman primer pocket reamer

271374e7-1f21-4a4b-bf0c-83a224b15a87_zpsc430a502.jpg

5b5b621e-21f6-4dfa-9aed-cbc66fab88b5_zpse6d30097.jpg

there under $20 too

http://a.co/1Y7pFuh

hth

Originally Posted By: jpretleOriginally Posted By: GLShooterNever pull an AR firing pin while checking for function. Almost guanteeded to lock it up and may require a whole lot of gyrations to clear it.

Greg
GLShooter, can you explain this. I may have been lucky, since i haven't had any problems. Thanks

The firing pin keeps the cam pin oriented properly as it moves up and down the channel. Without the firing pin the cam pin can turn and bind the bag in place against the channel. Much swearing can occur as the bolt will not turn properly.

Greg

Back