West Virginia yote hunting?

s&w686

My in-laws have 450 acres in southern West Virginia. I was there in October and the coyotes woke us up 3 times one night. I was back there at Thanksgiving and went out to hunt and made 5 stands with no luck. Never heard or seen any. I was using my FoxPro with rabbit distress mostly. I will be going back to WV for Christmas and would appreciate some advice. I'm still looking at getting my 1st!
FYI- Night time hunting doesn't come in till Jan 1. So my hunting will all be in the daylight.
Thanks.

I don't think your sounds are an issue. It's normally set-up that makes or breaks a stand. I get better response if I give the coyotes cover downwind of the call. I rarely hunt open fields anymore, they don't seem to like coming out in the open. Give them cover downwind to approach the call and position yourself crosswind of that area for a shot. It's even better if you can block them from downwinding your position with a field, cliff, etc.
Check out the thread "calling tactics and sounds", if you haven't read it yet. A lot of useful info in there.
Also, they may just be gone. Coyotes move around a lot, just because they were there in October, doesn't mean they are there now. Look for sign, they aren't always vocal. I've not heard a coyote all year but called in two and took one in 7 stands so far.
Good luck to you.

"...Check out the thread "calling tactics and sounds"

Did a search and went back several pages with no luck, can you give me link?

It's one of the pasted threads at the top of the page in the calling in the east forum. 4th thread from the top.

There's quite a few cats in the southern part of the state around the reclaimed strip mines. I know a guy over in Boone coutny who gets his limit every year on cats using a fawn distress hunting the grown-up strip mines.

ahhhhhh...good to see some WV hunters on here!!!!!
I know plenty of reclaimed surface mines, and they are full of all kinda critter!

I've never hunted in the Beckley / Oak Hill area, but I'm sure you'll have plenty of snow! We've still got about 4" on the ground here, which means Beckley probably has 10". Supposed to get more snow later this week / weekend. Let us know how you do!

New here so if my post is inappropriate please tell me .
Mon county wv . Lived on the same farm 60 years . Managed our deer herd , helped establish the resident Canada goose population . Red foxes have always been protected as my 83yr old Dad was a fox chaser with hounds . Had several around every year .
70 acres of hay meadows have consistently supported 30 to 40
groundhog harvest each year without fail until this year .
Last summer count was 2 killed and 6 seen . Deer population drasticly reduced (part was bad winter kill last year).
We are seeing yotes . Never did before . Hear them within 80 yds of the house 3-4 nights a week . Never before .
No hogs,few deer,= time to learn how to hunt yotes.I expect our calf crop will be next.No foxes either.
Glad I found this site.
Jim

Heding out this weekend myself. Missed a cat not to long ago using a rubber rabbit/grizz and grey. He got hit but couldn`t find it.

Back