Weaver Gone?

I'm not so sure quality has gone down all that much. Lot of scope's it seem's that work just fine. I have a couple newer Nikon's and haven't had a problem with them. I hear bad thing's about new Leupold but I'm not sure I buy it. What has seemed to have gone down is quality control. Seem's to me with pretty much everything, the quality control doesn't exist any more. Instead they send out a sub par product and when it get's returned simply replace it. For the majority of people a good scope that works right can be had for $300 and under. Are they higher quality than some older scope's? Not a clue but I do know they work well. I have two old Denver Redfield's I bought new and love them both. Nice but better than newer, I'm not so sure. Have a very old Bushnell Banner, wouldn't trade it for a new Banner but is it really better> Not a clue! I know that the newer scopes I have do all I ask of them and most I got for $200 and less! Have an old El Paso K4 Weaver on a 22 mag. Good scope but I doubt it's any better than a good number of newer one's. By the way, Seem's Weaver is gone so this scope has become a collector's item. On sale today for a mere $2500 plus shipping and handling! I think if you want a scope similar to those old one's your gonna pay out the nose for it, way to much hand work today and to costly to make! And are they really better? I don't think so.

Last edited:
I mark each scope or bino I send back which has happened a good bit. Sightron was my silliest, they called the day they got my scope to tell me the Allen holding the focus knob had just backed out and they cleaned it up, dropped some thread lock on it and I’ve not had an issue since. Week without my scope just because I didn’t check that myself. Leupold replaced both my vx1 and vx2 with a cheapo freedom line. Vortex always replaced everything with a new one which the replacement always ended up breaking too. I honestly get a knot in my stomach thinking about all my wasted money on vortex glass. Nikon fixed my bino’s and returned them. The focus wasn’t working and I got back my marked pair and they worked great until my dad put them on his boat and now they’re his.

Back