Weaver Classic Extreme or Leupold VX-R

1toppy

I'm looking into getting a new scope with an illuminated dot reticle and I have narrowed it down to these two. I only get to hunt maybe 10 times a year and I can't justify paying $700 for the Leupold. I am wondering if the Weaver scope (for $350 less) is just as good of scope as the Leupold for the 10 hunts I get a year? Thanks for any input!!

I don't know if its as good, but I own 6 of the Classic Extremes. 4 in 2.5x10x50 and 2 4x16x50. I like the 2.5x10x50 better. I think they are great scopes for the money.

if you can find an old classic extreme made in japan, do it. i'm not sure about the new ones. i've had a couple of the jap weavers and they are a very good scope.

Go to Natchez website.They have the weavers on clearance for 299.99.I have been replacing my leapolds with these scopes.I really like them.Just dont forget to turn it off.lolOriginally Posted By: 1toppySock Puppet, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

go to Amazon.com to buy batteries, I have two bushnells and an Alpen with Ill. Dots and a dog collar that use the same 3v bats so it really saves money over getting them at the local store.

I bought a classic extreme about a month ago. Great scope, I would buy another 1. I got the 2.5-10 The german #4 is an awesome reticle and the dot is tiny which i love.

Several of my fellow range members took advantage of the discounted prices at Natchez and purchased the Weaver Classic Extremes several months ago. Recall one had a problem out of the box with his and it was replaced with another. No complaints from them about quality of optics or any adjustments, Windage and etc. These guys have quality scopes on their rifles and are picky about them. Only kinda complaint from them was about the eye relief. LOL, it was too long. Had to mount scope far forward in mounts. By the way, their classic extremes were made in Philippines, probably in same plant that makes the Weaver 40/44 scopes.

I have 2 of the 4x16's and I like them. I also have a Nightforce that I like the turrets & reticle on better but I dont see much difference in the glass.

I guess I'm in the minority, I bought the Leupold in oct. Used it on two deer in PA, love it. It replaced a 1975 Weaver 3x PCH, US made back then. I have more confidence in Leupold, so have more of them. I plan to try it on yotes, bet that 375W
will anchor them.

I recently purchased a Classic Extreme 2.5-10X50 with the illuminated German reticle from Natchezss. Read several favorable reviews even about the Phillipine made version that they sell now. Well, the quality is disappointing considering the hyped reviews. These reviews must be either planted or made by people who do not recognize a quality scope.

We compared the Classic Extreme to a Leupold VX-R 3-9x50 with illuminated dot. The Leupold is miles ahead in all aspects. It is lighter, transmits more light and displays way more details than the Weaver. Also, the illuminated dot is actually dim enough to be used for dusk hunting. The Weaver illuminated dot is useless. It is way to bright even on the lowest setting, and on my scope the dot brightness does not change until level 6 (out of 10) is reached. Quality is not the first word that comes to mind. I might agree that the scope is a decent deal at 290 USD. Build quality seem to be good and it also track well so far.

However, the most provoking fact is that Natchezss say these scopes retail at 880 USD. What a big fat lie! It is clear that they try to trick the consumers into buying this low quality optics, backed by the great reputation of the previous Japanese made Weaver Classic Extreme. There is no way this scope is worth anywhere near 900. I suspect that lots of people have bought this scope believing they got a bargain, when they in reality got a cheaply made scope that at best fit the bill. To compare, the Leupold VX-R 3-9x50 now retails at 600 USD at Cabelas. Plenty of other high quality scopes are available in this price range, so this is some sneaky marketing by Natchezss. Also, their customer service seem to be non existing. I have contacted them through their website twice and did not hear back from them on either occasion. They probably have high volume on these Weaver “deals” now, hence being to busy to reply to annoying customers like me. Hopefully people will think twice when considering the Classic Extreme line that Natchezss have such an exclusive deal on. Just my 2 cents.

On another post I just mentioned my friends opinion that most if not all the makers/sellers are using Chinese stuff - except Leupold. Can't touch them - not cheap but that's not what you want.

My very first choice and I just added one.

S

Back