Weatherby 257mag. Vanguard or Mark V

I was guiding a Coues client one year with a Mark V 300 wby... Well, his action got F!@## up... Good thing I had my trusty 270 wsm with me so he could use it... And miss a nice buck!

There is NO doubt in my mind that the Vanguard(1500) action is more inherently accurate than the Mk V. None. Simply put, 2 lugs trump 9.

The MkV is a very strong action, however, due to it's "full sized" bolt......

Well that sure throws a cramp in buying another AR. I think you guys are right. I'll have to start shopping for a Mark V.

Now I'll have to look into reloading to see if I'll save any money on bullets. Thanks for the info guys, all solid views.

Vanguard is a Howa 1500 barreled action. The Mark is the Weatherby action. I has a gunsmith tell me one time that every one he has ever worked on only about 4 or 5 of the 9 lugs actually make contact. I have several hunting buddies that shoot Howa 1500's and they will shoot very well. I would look at the Vanguard or save even more and just buy a Howa.

Like 500x said get a HOWA...same rifle & action, a little less $$$. There are many calibers as good as a 257 Roy IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea, I really like my Howa alot it's a very nice gun. I just Like my Mark V more. And as another shooter said, it's a LIFETIME investment.

Mark V are very nice indeed. I still have dreams about the one I handled about a year ago. It's good to have choices; the world would be boring without them.

Bought the Accumark today. That is one nice rifle!!!! SS barrel,fluted,synthetic stock. Played w/ the vanguard for a minute and knew I wasnt going to buy it.

Bought a box of 120gr partitions as well. Wanted to have enough bullet for heavy bone on a monster buck.

Sooooo now to find a scope. Probably a Burris or Millett. Ballistic plex of course.

Back