Wear those safety glasses.......

randy merta

Just wanted to thank everyone for their friendship and prayers. The power of prayers kept me at peace during this incident and with some time I hope to be back in the saddle. I wanted everyone to know that I really do appreciate everything everyone has done. Here is where I'm at right now. Thanks again. Randy

ps Brook, thanks for the Jerky

100_0602.jpg

randy, i'm sorry to hear of your bad luck. i had almost the same thing happen to me when i was 17 years old. i had a .45 auto casing explode when the chamber was open. i lost most of the vision in my right eye, a piece of brass cut thru my cornea and it had to be removed. now i have almost 20/20 vision with a contact. i had to learn to shoot left handed and i had to change the way i hunted. keep your chin up, you are not alone. tehnology might have more to offer now, my accident happened in 1988. good luck randy.

Randy just lay down, take all of the pampering your wife has to offer. Tell her that the doctor said that hunting would be a GREAT way to rehabiltate the eye once you can get around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Im glad that everything is going well. Keep us posted on your recovery.

Take Care

(edited for icon change I felt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif was a little insensitve) Just hackin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cool pic, Randy. You don't look any worse than you usually do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
That eye looks pretty beat up but thank God it's still there.

My eye's look like that after a full night of hunting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Glad to see you are recovering. Hope your good progress continues.

That's a nasty looking eye there buddy. Do you know if you'll suffer any lasting damage yet? Praying for full and complete healing from my part of the world.

You might not realize it but your a lucky man Randy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I know this has opened my eyes up (pun) to start wearing glasses when I'm at the range.

Hang in there bud

Hey Randy, that looks just about like I do the morning after chasing coyotes half the night around here. Hope you have a full recovery. Any idea yet what caused the misfire? I was curious, as I have been loading and shooting some Blue Dot reduced loads in my .22 Hornet and .223 Contender. After reading about you, I started wearing safety glasses, something I have never made a habit of while shooting.

Hey Randy,that just shows what kind of man you are that in the middle of your own misery you can think about reminding everyone to wear their safety glasses.I know my uncle merv and I were looking forward to seeing you and your pops at the next pm hunt.May all the blessings from everyone comfort you and your family.You've got a lot of friends on this board and if you need ANYTHING you just let someone know.Take care friend.daveyboy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dang Randy...Thats one bad looking eye! Im glad your geting better though. You will be out shooten and callen before long, hang in there and well all keep prayen for ya!

Kee

Safety glasses have always been a good idea, even though I never wear glasses while hunting. I do wear glasses when working up loads for my rifles. I would like to remind everyone to be wary of reduced loads. My old Speer #11 manual states that severely reduced loads can cause dangerously high pressures.

Randy,
I am glad to hear that you continue to heal a little bit more every day. My best wishes go out to you sir.

Since I started hunting with handguns I also wore shooting glasses which helps from getting poked in the eye by branches expecially in the dark.

Randy,you have been on my prayer list,take care.

Mike

Hey Randy, do as Tommy says and milk it for what it's worth! I don't envy you at all! I see these things alot in my line of work and the outcome usually isn't good. Looks like you will be back in no time. You are in my prayers.

Dogn

Randy, may the Lord bless and protect you and yours. A special blessing for your wife, because she probably needs it for putting up with you!!
Again, may God be with you.
Mark

Randy, I'd like to wish you a complete & speedy recovery. Also thanks for sharing this. It may very well help some of us.

I have been a small time reloader for years. I was not very aware of some reduced loads producing higher pressures. Is this the case here or has it happened in other cases? So if one were to go off the charts to the low side for a reduced load they could end up with dangerous pressures? I do realize one must always stay with a charted load for safety.

I missed how it happen I will pray for you. Hope it gets better. When I shoot muzzelloaders at the range we use eye protection.

It reminds me of a time in my youth when we showed beef cattle and we walked them everyday to increase muscle tone and the 1,100lb steer started to drag me it took a swift kick on the head for me to realize it was not stopping. :eek: I had 2 blackeyes for weeks. And a headache for 2days( probaly what's is wrong with me- Never told wife about that one) The steer was found 2 miles away with a dairy herd. Best tasting beef I ever Had as a child!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Wore sunglasses lot!!

Randy,

Speaking as someone that's had 8 eye surgeries in the last 5 years I can feel your pain... :eek:

Any idea what caused the KaBoom? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Do you have photos of the Contender?

Get well soon... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

$bob$

I sure do appreciate you guys. I believe someone on the dept took photos and I hope to have some soon to post for everyone. There has been a couple of guys send me emails with a theory that might be the solution to what happened.

The bullet on the reduced loads were seated way out. When I went to load a live round in the rifle the gun barrel was pointed at the ground. The powder in the shell will shift towards the bullet clogging up in the neck. When the Thompson Center is closed the powder is stil in the front of the shell leaving air space infront of the primer. What I have been told was that when the gun is fired it creates a detination instead of a ignition. Does that sound right? What is your thought on what happened? Thanks again. Randy

Back