walker's game ears

wjh131

Anybody use walker's game ears when they hunt? If so, how much do they help? I was thinking of getting a pair to help save my depleting hearing when the shot occurs.

i have a pair of the quad muffs in camo,have used then some they do enhance the sounds in the woods,also the cars from near by roads,and air planes.havent had any problems with them and the batterys seam to last.they do takes some getting used to.

i use the game ear II and love it.... it does increase the "other" sounds as well, but they do help with those little sounds, and they are comfortable... the main key is not to turn the volume way up... you dont need it... and with the game ear II you can set the tone as well.... i have not tried any of the newer versions due to cost... but with my hearing in my left ear dropping, it really helps.

I've used the Quad muffs for several years. Only problem I have had with them is in setting volume on my call. The FX5 solved that problem w/volume shown on remote.

Regards,
hm

I was thinking of a pair of E-muffs for calling this year because I intend to do a lot of handgun hunting. For coyotes I plan on my S&W 6" M19 .357 with hot 125 gr. Magnum loads. That is exactly the type load that will damage your ears and leave you attempting to answer the phone for a week after the shot, when the phone isn't actually ringing! I need to be able to hear the call, leaves shuffling as something comes to the call, ect. yet not bust my hearing with a shot. I still haven't figured out yet how I am going to approach this problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
I need to be able to hear the call, leaves shuffling as something comes to the call, ect. yet not bust my hearing with a shot. I still haven't figured out yet how I am going to approach this problem.

The Quad muffs will do all of those things. You can set volume anywhere you wish, even enhance your hearing, allowing you to hear sounds you would otherwise not be able to hear, yet they shut down loud sounds that would harm your hearing automatically.

Regards,
hm

They do enhance sounds, sometimes to the point of distraction. I have a hearing degradation to high pitched sounds. With them on I can hear those sounds. I also hear every puff of wind or breeze going through he woods. It sounds like I am sitting next to a rushing stream.

Tractors and cars on the road sound like they are coming right down the trail. I can however here a chipmunk or mouse moving through the leaves and deer walking at great distances. I many times take them off because all the noise is sometimes very distracting. It is a darned if I do and darned if I don't kinda thing.

i have tried the muff style, and i do know that the wind noise is not as bad in the behind the ear style as it is in the muff type unless the wind is blowing from directly behind you.

Quote:
They do enhance sounds, sometimes to the point of distraction. I have a hearing degradation to high pitched sounds. With them on I can hear those sounds. I also hear every puff of wind or breeze going through he woods. It sounds like I am sitting next to a rushing stream.

Tractors and cars on the road sound like they are coming right down the trail. I can however here a chipmunk or mouse moving through the leaves and deer walking at great distances. I many times take them off because all the noise is sometimes very distracting. It is a darned if I do and darned if I don't kinda thing.

See, that is what has me concerned. My dad had a pair of Pro Ears and he sent them back to Cabela's because he said they were too distracting. The wind blowing through the woods rustled the leaves so loud dad said he couldn't hear anything but that sound, and, way too much of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

GC, the Peltor Tac 6 are not that sensitive unless the wind is howling, when you can't hear anything anyway.

I think that the Tac 6's are $69 or so, just get them, it's no big deal.

Peltor makes another set that also has a radio in it that are a larger set that sells for $175+ neighborhood.

I have used the dillon electronic muffs for years. I have a degree of nerve damage from years of not wearing protection.The main issue is in weather above 60 degrees the sweat becomes an issue for me. They do greatly enhance the little sounds that you forget are there, like light footsteps coming through the leaves that I would never hear.One caution here,snake country. They alter the sound of a rattlesnake. I found out the hard way.I was sitting on a camp stool watching for critters to come to the call, and suddenly dawned on me that there was no running water anywhere around. Yet I had been hearing it for several minutes.I lifted one earmuff and instantly recognized the angry buzzing,close.As I looked down a very mad 4+ foot rattler was backed up against brush, poised to strike,about a foot away from my leg.It had tried to back away but couldn't get any further.It must have been there several minutes by the time I saw it. Why it never hit me I'll never know,I slowly moved the shotgun around and didnt relax till I had him covered.I gave him a few minutes to crawl away but he just kept swaying. I felt that because of the closeness I had no choice but to shoot.Deadcoyote does a number on snakes.I felt bad because he could have hit me and didn't,but then he just didn't listen to reason.Use care!

I think I am going to try an e-muff, I am having trouble deciding which one. I can buy the Peltor Tac 6 locally for about $70.00 which is no biggie. But then I don't want to spend the $70 on them if there is a substantially better option, like the Walker Quad Muffs.

There are several models, look over Cabela's website for a complete description of features and prices.

I have the Peltors, they do enhance the sound, by no means to the level of distraction, but in warm weather you really sweat with them on.

GC I think the Peltors enhance your ability to hear a conversation and no doubt louder noises away from you, but not sure about the finer noises as discussed above.

I too am considering the Walkers game ear, my hearing is shot..

I really need a hearing aid, at least one in my left ear for now, those good units are not cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I own a set of Walker Quad Game Ears for a few months now.

Positives-

1. Greatly enhances surrounding 'nature' sounds. If a coyote comes loping in you WILL hear it. Once I sit down and the surroundings get back to normal you'll be amazed at what you pick up. Lizard digging a hole 30 yards away... a dove flies over and you'll swear its a coyote running in.

Negatives-

1. There are volume and tone adjustments but hell if I know what tones you're wanting to tune in or out. I crank the tone adjustment to the 'high frequency' side of the dial and feel this captures the most desirable sounds- but heck, I am guessing.

2. When the Foxpro starts going off, the Walker game ears are a waste. The Foxpro sounds coming out of the speaker overwhelms your ears. You can;t hear much else. If you leave your foxpro on repeating the selected sound you have now basically cancelled any ability you have to hear anything appraoching.

3. The 'Quads' have 2 pick-up microphones on each ear cup. The problem is you can't discern what is coming from the front or the rear of you. You can tell left from right but with 1 speaker in your ear and both mics feeding into it the coyote could be approaching from the front or rear and you can't tell which.

3. Another thing to bring to the stand.

I just got off the Cabela's site and for the most part good reviews, especially from those who say they suffer from hearing loss.

Questions Scott, do you have hearing loss?

Would one game ear work in say your bad ear??

Any way to adjust or correct the ecaller from blowing out your ears when wearing the Walkers???

Thanks Scott.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I really want to hear my partners whispering or telling me a yotes inbound, and hearing those coyotes way out there howling.

Even low profile ear muffs suck when calling the warmer weather.

In the Cabela's review it seems more than a couple folks use them for everyday use, was surprised how many said that grandma's hearing aids sucked compared to the Walkers.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Back