Virginia Bobcat

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickJust curious, what were you using for ammo & how bad was the exit ?

I was shooting my Kimber Montana 22-250, 1 in 14 twist, 22" barrel, Superformance V-Max 50 grain. Bullet entered in the throat/chest area and exited about where the neck turns into the spine. It left a tennis ball size exit hole. Taxidermist said he thought he could make it heal. After all was said and done I was wishing I had my 17 Ackley Hornet or my 22 Hornet, the shot was just under or right at 100yds

Sonny,
Do you call many cats there? On a good year here when I fill deer tags early and have more calling time I can normally count on calling 4 - 6 cats.

Originally Posted By: GCSonny,
Do you call many cats there? On a good year here when I fill deer tags early and have more calling time I can normally count on calling 4 - 6 cats.

GC, our cat population is on the increase. In the past it was pretty rare to get one, but over the last five years or so their numbers have increased substantially. I usually call in two or three a year(not all get killed), but with the increase in numbers and my education things are improving. I have found that it is all about habitat. Cutovers with regrowth young pines is the ticket. We targeted bobcats with trail cameras this summer and early fall. I have one spot about a mile from my house where I have pictures of four or five different cats, varying in size, plus visual sightings this summer and fall.

You've heard the old saying "Curiosity killed the cat?" I've found that to be very true. If they are relatively close by when you start calling, they will come out of curiosity if nothing else. I called one in last year and Cooper killed it while using Platinum Gray Fox Sound (seriously)

The hardest part about calling bobcats is knowing where they are. I've learned to hunt where I know they are at, NOT where I think they should be. Catnip sprayed on a white feather will put them in front of the trail camera for a photo.

GC, we used to have a limit of 12 per year, but the regs appear to have changed. I didn't find any mention of that in the regs this year. There is still the limit of two cats per day, however.

There seems to be a healthy population of cats in my part of the state (southwestern part). It's mountainous here and a lot flatter where Sonny lives.

As 6mm06 said, our only limit statewide is two per day. His area is mountainous sorta on the western side of the mountains here in Virginia. I am on the eastern side. Rolling hills of the Piedmont gradually giving way to alot of agricultural land mixed with forest and I mean professional forest, pines owned by timber companies mixed in with plenty of hardwoods as well. Not hilly like back home, no ridges like there. That farm land I mentioned is divided into about four major large river bottoms. The James River, the Pamunkey, the Mattaponi and the Rappahannock. They are all wider and deeper than the Osage Fork or Gasconade, we have no bluffs or rocky areas down in my area like back home where you are. I miss those rocky bluffs over looking big bottom lands. Where 6mm06 is located is more like the Ozark Mountains than where I am.

Not having been there I tend to think of Virginia as you described David's area. Your area sounds a bit like upper mid-Missouri and points north of I-70. I do love my big blocks of Ozark timber. My son and I went calling last Saturday morning and doing a bit of scouting new country. I shot a cat on the second stand but it got way back in under a rocky bluff in a cave and I couldn't recover it. We saw deer, turkey, armadillo, squirrels a ton of wild hog sign and most importantly not one bit of evidence of another hunter being in there and didn't hear a man made sound all day.

Wow! I still haven't got used to the idea of Armadillos in Missouri. When I left there for Vietnam after High School, they were something you found only in Texas, not Missouri.

My area is not quiet as flat as Northern Missouri, we have timber just not as much as the Ozarks. Rolling hills and agricultural are the largest part though. I miss the Ozarks badly at times, days like you mentioned above are few and far between in my area. Deer hounds running everywhere and those renowned road hunters. Can't wait for deer season to finally close here. Then two months of the woods and river bottoms to myself.

Armadillo are getting about as thick as possums. They are an invasive species here that started their trek into southern Missouri in the 1980's from Texas up through Arkansas. As a state park naturalist in the early 90's I participated in a study conducted through the University of Missouri and the MDC on the armadillo encroachment. I remember being enlisted to participate and thought, "armadillo... really?" Within a year I had seen one live one and several ran over on the roadways. Now they are everywhere. Last year on one ridge top within 3/4 mile of each other I walked up on three of the ugly bastards.

In the early 80's I lived in Florida and hog and deer hunted heavily in the swamps and piney woods of northern Florida, first time I ever saw them was back then. Hard-shelled possums. Hope they don't continue their easterly trek.

Back