Vehicle Modification for Varmints

Randy,

What's a good time to call? I think I'm 2 hours behind you (?).

Ever make or heard of a double chair? I'm working on the details to connect it to my 5th wheel hitch cross bars in the bed of my F-350. I can pull the hitch out and have the perfect mounting surface that only needs pins to tie it in. My plan is to make independent chairs that spin 360 degree’s with a plywood shooting bench and a light at each station.

Hell I’ll design an ice chest in it too!

My bed can hold a ton. On our best night we couldn’t even weigh half of that with all the trimmings!

I better get my patend ready!

Steve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey Steve - You might want to think about making that a two story chair. I know you don't want to or be swung on. Keep safety in mind when you build it. Randy makes sure that the cross bar keeps the truck out of range when he builds his chairs.

BTW thanks Randy Great article. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Darrin

I guess I never understood why you'd need 2 chairs. It looks a bit dangerous to me. One guy can keep up with all the action,99% of the time. I know that 4 eyes are better than 2, but the more stuff you have happening up there, the more chances for screw-ups(unsteady,movement, balance lights and guns pointed in a bad spot). I've gone up against some of the 2 chair guys in contests, wasn't impressed. I'll stay with 1 chair, I usually call from the back of the truck, and have a guy in the chair. I have a rifle rack and a shotgun rack on the chair, so he (or I) can grab the shotgun if needed. Randy

Well here is the first look at a chair that I am building for Iron Pony to put in that CJ5. Hey Pony what do ya think? I still need to fab up a cross bar. I started to put one that came up between the legs but my step dad seems to think that one would have to be half monkey to get into it. So I am planning on making one that comes around from the right hand side similar to a school desk. Since Pony said that this Jeep was going to be just for hunting, I stopped worrying about weight and just built it strong. My step dad is in the 250# range and the chair can’t tell. Bring on the big chicks Pony. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The seat and rest can be removed for storage. I tacked a heavy piece to the bottom for now while I climb in and out of it.
mvc-052s.jpg

mvc-053s.jpg

mvc-048s.jpg

I stand 5’9”. That should give you an idea of the height.
mvc-051s.jpg

mvc-049s.jpg

I want to thank Joel for the pictures of his chair. He’s got a good one going there.

Darrin

That looks great so far. Glad I could help. But I'll thank Randy Watson. His original chair design has gotten popular. I would not change a single thing about my setup.

Getting into the chair with the gun rest up the middle is not as bad as it may seem. Curious to see your idea on that though.

I look forward to your progress. Keep us posted with the pictures.

Joel

Yes, Thanks Randy. My step dad and I kicked the thought around for a while before changing from the current standard. Bob (my step dad) said "If you build it so my fat ass can get in and out of it, you'll have a winner". He's a big guy (not all that fat) and the only time he likes to swing his leg is when he is tring to put a foot in my ass for giving him a hard time about something.

Darrin

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I'm whiping the tears from my eyes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That chair looks better than the Jeep! Make her strong, these Texas girls are FAT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I think my pick up line will be, Say, honey, I've got a chair strong enough to hold you, hop in just don't pop the tires. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I need to find a host for some pics, but I have a setup in my truck. It is a stand with a removable shooting bench that rotates 360 sits about 3 feet above cab and the truck itself is lifted about 8 inches so you need oxygen in some places.

I see you used a stub and sleeve for your pivot. I use hubs and spindels and you can load the tables up with as much goodies as you can find and still spin them around. We usually have to crank down on the preload to keep them from spining out of control as the truck sits on inclines.

Note from experience. If you are not bolting down your bases make sure that are more then sturby, I've seen a few people take a fall out of a stand, luckily no one got shot or badily hurt.

Boze - I thought about using a hub or bearings on this chair. As you stated one needs a bit of drag to keep from getting dizzy. A bit of grease will keep the movement smooth. I should have finished pictures Saturday.

I've got a guided hunt to do this sunday, I'll tray and remember the camera and get you some action shots of the bench inuse ;-)

Well it's almost done. I'll be playing with it some more tomorrow.

Bozo - Pony and I have talked about how he is going to mount this thing. It will either be bolted in so he can take it out if he needs or just welded providing the tub has enough integrity.

mvc-041s.jpg

mvc-039s.jpg

mvc-040s.jpg

mvc-042s.jpg

187 I am sending you 2 pictures of the stand via email. Yahoo will not let me make my photo album public without charging me so I can't get the pictures to link here. Thanks for posting them for me.

Nice “Chair”… although I think it qualifies as an elevated bench.

I posted a link because I didn’t want to shrink the pictures down.

Pic #1

Pic #2

Pic #3

As for the Yahoo photo thing... I'll write you up some instructions on how to get around that.

Thanks for the pics Bozowise

Darrin

Bozowise,

I like the idea of a little bench space. When I make mine it will be similar. Maybe a fuzz higher to get over the scrub oaks we have here.

Darrin,

The chair came out nice! Did you remember the tack in the seat for IP? We crushed the tuna this weekend, 94 Albacore total! Wish you could have been there!

Steve

Back