Varget comes through again!!

How much velocity is lost smokeless? Im not trying to pick a fight, I just wanna know? 50fps, 100,150fps? Inside of regular hunting ranges

Admittedly, Varget can be a little slower. It can also been useful and safe in just about any temperature. And more importantly, it can be ACCURATE in a number of different calibers. Not all of us want to touch the ceiling just so we can say we jumped that high.

Personally, I think it is one of the best powders out there.

I have not had the same results of those that appreciate Varget. Most of My reloading puts it out of the desired powders. It meters horribly in my powder dispensers and so I choose other powders. If it works for you.. load em up!

Yes, accuracy along with velocity is splitting hairs.

Gary, I am only giving my opinion, as you are. We see things differently.

Saying, and defending varget as the " buy a gun, I got the powder" is just crazy. Your varget works well, but if you will look a little deeper you will see that it works it's "magic" in a very small window. When you find that magic window it may be very high in performance or mid-range to low.

Varget was ment as a do all powder from Hodgdon. That it does, and you know how I feel about that.

It is not magic pixie dust. If you want to run a 22-250 at say 22BR performance levels with varget for accuracy fine, but you can get better velocity along with accuracy with 4007, rl-17 or even imr-4064. These powders cross over just as well with better over all performance in the 22-250 to 243 case. IMO.

I see what you're saying. I do. I'm no ballistician (is that a word?) if you're really into shrinking the group and want to take the time to shrink a 1/2 group to a 1/4 group and gain 75fps go ahead. But I'm the real world, I just don't see where it really matters.

Like you said. Difference in opinion is all. I just don't understand chasing speed.

Chasing speed. I used to be of your train of thought. Then I realized that a 220 swift was a lightning rod and should be used as such.

There are soooo many different chambers out there and for good reason. I just do not buy into running a 22-250 with varget "cuz it works" If that is all you can do fine.

In my 22-250, varget is only about 60fps slow on the velocity spectrum of the 250, but the groups are twice as big as what I can get with other powders at even higher velocity. I own a 250, and a Swift specifically for the velocity. I want accuracy too. Varget has never given both.

I have a good number of other chamerings to fit those other velocity "niche's" but that's just me.

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17Now Smoke quit knockin the good stuff. Why does everybody knock Varget. I bet you own a Mathews too.
grin.gif

now thats funny! i like varget...and a can a get a big TEAM HOYT!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17Now Smoke quit knockin the good stuff. Why does everybody knock Varget. I bet you own a Mathews too.
grin.gif

Actually I own a Darton Ranger. No carbon shafts either.
laugh.gif

Varget is a good powder in Hodgdon's "extreme" powder line, I used it for a few years in my 22-250's. Then I found 4007 SSC and loved it. But, recently, I pulled my head out of both of those cans and tried some IMR-8028 XBR and this is the result.
P1010033.jpg

I've got to admit now that I've been wantin to try that 8208. Couple of guys use that here and swear by it, kinda like you all and that 4007. Truthfully the Benchmark meters for me better than the Varget. Ohh almost forgot, Go Team PSE!!

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: Ridgeline17Now Smoke quit knockin the good stuff. Why does everybody knock Varget. I bet you own a Mathews too.
grin.gif

Actually I own a Darton Ranger. No carbon shafts either.
laugh.gif

Still shootin those telephone poles, Huh?

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17

"I've got to admit now that I've been wantin to try that 8208. Couple of guys use that here and swear by it, kinda like you all and that 4007. Truthfully the Benchmark meters for me better than the Varget."

If you like the way BenchMark meters, you will LOVE the way 8208 meters - slick as ball without the problems of ball.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Ridgeline17

"I've got to admit now that I've been wantin to try that 8208. Couple of guys use that here and swear by it, kinda like you all and that 4007. Truthfully the Benchmark meters for me better than the Varget."

If you like the way BenchMark meters, you will LOVE the way 8208 meters - slick as ball without the problems of ball.

I love it in my 6X45.

I have had 8208 on hand since the day it became available. Problem is, I have a LOT of TAC and BM on hand, and use it in my 223 and 204 loads. Some day.......

I've been running 8208 in my .264lbc since I got the upper. It works great so far.

I'm just beginning to work up loads for my new 6x45, but my first impression is 8208 works quite well. My only problem so far is loading 87vmaxes to mag length causes more crunching noises than my doing deep knee bends (that's a LOT of crunching).

I have a batch of 168 smks over 8208 for my -06 that I haven't taken to the range.

I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
Varget is not my go to powder for all my handloads. It just happened to work in my 22-250AI last weekend and eased the thoughts of purchasing a new barrel. Although, it has produced some very fine groups in a few of my rifles that I have tried it in.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Ridgeline17

Appreciate that bit of info, Cat. Thanx

Back