UTAH.... Open Country or Brushy....?

Originally Posted By: dan brotherswould shooting off the top of a motorhome make it easier

Not in Utah. For a lot of reasons. Besides just being illegal. But even if it was legal, it would be pretty tough to do.

- DAA

I mean for elevation and longer shots... even if they hang up... which is okay... as long as they can be seen within a reasonable long range distance.

I was wondering about the openiness of the terrain... which was my original posting reason.

Every kind of terrain in Utah. Coyotes in all of it. What the others have said about mostly sage brush is mostly true. But there are sand dunes, slick rock, forests, crops, pastureland, grassland, bunch grass, short grass, tall grass, Joshua trees, pear patches, marsh areas and many other types of terrain that all have plenty of coyotes as well. The only thing Utah doesn't have is a saltwater beach. Oh, wait a minute, I guess the gay beach on the Great Salt Lake would technically be salt water... And I've killed coyotes all around there too, now that I think about it.

But shooting from your vehicle isn't legal. Even shooting from a road isn't legal. And even if it was, getting a motorhome into a place that has decent coyote numbers and trying to find one or two not overly shy of the road in general and vehicles in particular, etc., etc., etc., is just adding problems and making things far more difficult. Not easier.

I can think of a few places where it might be just the ticket at night. Shooting from up high on a vehicle is standard operating procedure for a lot of night hunters. But night hunting in Utah is kind of screwy. Every county is different. Usually have to get permission from the Sheriff. And the rules never allow hunting from a vehicle. So, once again, a no-go here.

- DAA

I've stopped in UT a couple of times to hunt with my nephew(in Sandy) on the way to the PM Hunt and found enough coyotes to keep it interesting. I will say the areas we hunted seem to have been hit heavily, every trail that remotely resembled a road had fresh tracks in the snow but found almost nowhere where anyone actually walked any distance from their trucks. We hunted all public land and found that getting into the brush and at least beyond where you could see the road produced the most coyotes. I always feel it is much easier to call coyotes in the brush than trying to call them out of it.

Originally Posted By: AWSI've stopped in UT a couple of times to hunt with my nephew(in Sandy) on the way to the PM Hunt and found enough coyotes to keep it interesting. I will say the areas we hunted seem to have been hit heavily, every trail that remotely resembled a road had fresh tracks in the snow but found almost nowhere where anyone actually walked any distance from their trucks. We hunted all public land and found that getting into the brush and at least beyond where you could see the road produced the most coyotes. I always feel it is much easier to call coyotes in the brush than trying to call them out of it.

Seems about right from my experience with regards to folks driving around. I do a lot of it myself mainly scouting and occasionally spotting coyotes from the truck hauling [beeep] in the other direction, LOL.

Dan, I've never had too much trouble finding a coyote or two in Utah, but all my hunting is in the southern half and pretty remote. However, of all the states out West Utah and California would be my bottom two picks. Not just for coyotes, but hunting in general. If you are going to travel that far spend your time in New Mexico or Arizona.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ
There are lots in all of the states and most of these area's have open or the land owners are more than happy to let you shoot coyotes.

You wont find that to be the case in most places in Utah. Utah has a lot of CWMU hunts (High dollar hunts) and they are not going to let people in that they dont know. Most land owners in Utah say no to people they do not know. Even the DWR has not been able to get a lot of participation in the walk in access program.

My original plan was to go back to Montana... but I have a friend in Oklahoma City that wanted to hook up for a little adventure hunt outside of Ok.... I just thought that Utah might be a nice hunt that was not too far from him. I was looking for some more open country... Hmmm.... you guys got me scratching my head now.

thanks for the helpful input... it's always appreciated.

Dan, I can say with complete confidence that Utah would be a waste of time. If he's in Oklahoma then why aren't you looking real hard at Colorado???

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ
There are lots in all of the states and most of these area's have open or the land owners are more than happy to let you shoot coyotes.

You wont find that to be the case in most places in Utah. Utah has a lot of CWMU hunts (High dollar hunts) and they are not going to let people in that they dont know. Most land owners in Utah say no to people they do not know. Even the DWR has not been able to get a lot of participation in the walk in access program.

That reminds me I need to get in touch with a couple of the CWMU's that told me to call back after the big game hunts.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersMy original plan was to go back to Montana... but I have a friend in Oklahoma City that wanted to hook up for a little adventure hunt outside of Ok.... I just thought that Utah might be a nice hunt that was not too far from him. I was looking for some more open country... Hmmm.... you guys got me scratching my head now.

thanks for the helpful input... it's always appreciated.

I just saw a Foxpro Fur hunters episode and they were in OK and the dogs were heavy both in weight and numbers. I would try and do some homework to get some private property in his home state.

Last edited:
Utards are funny. They are real protective of utah and will lead you to believe there is nothing there. I have found very good numbers in a lot of places in north utah. There are lots of folks in the wasatch valley, but a short drive

I sure as heck am not trying to protect Utah. I haven't lived there for 20 years and only visit every other year or so. However, I sure wouldn't drive clear from Oklahoma to hunt coyotes in Utah. You have to drive through either Eastern Colorado or New Mexico to get to Utah and both have better coyote hunting. It's just not practical or logical to make Utah the final destination.

Utah is off my list... but thanks for all the heads up Guys.

My friend has coyotes in Ok that we can shoot, but they are in areas that will not allow us to get long range shots with our 22-243AI rifles that we had built. We wanted something farther than 300 yd opportunities.

He can only go off for about a week, so it needed to be close by so that I could take him back home...BUT THEN... I'm planning on going on to other places... hopefully more open places.

How about Nebraska.... what are their pros and cons....LOL...?

I think a guy could come out here and have a great time. Utah is a awesome place as long as your not in a city. I've never hunted coyotes anywhere else but bordering states and there no different then here, at least where I've been. As far as the bounty Im going to have to agree with everyone else, it's a joke, as far as saving deer. But if a guy can get an extra 50 bucks for one good for him. I'm a mule deer guy first and foremost, but the only thing the bounty has done for wildlife is save a lot of coyotes there lives!

I don't think you should be dicuraged from coming out here though, I have a blast hunting coyotes here. It's an awesome place with about every kind of terrain there is.

Last edited:
Oklahoma to southeast Montana is a one day drive...
wink.gif

Critter gettr, yes I have. Pred hunting is never the same for more than a couple years in a row if your lucky. Time to change your tactics my friend. If your not adaptable your not a very good pred hunter.

Back