Upcoming Dove Season

Originally Posted By: dog1whckrMY assessment is they want reduce the bag limit and seasons.

Guess I'll co-operate though, since I did volunteer.

I'd be tempted to pad my numbers a little to discourage them from that...maybe.
wink.gif

LEVISS Thought crossed my mind. I have to mail them one wing from each dove for the test period. IF I send only young of the year only? They could say we are killing all of the future breeders. If its all mature doves? Then we are taking all of the current breeders. Can't win either way. I think a balance of both AND no where near what the limit calls for would lead to the conclusion that the population is down. The conclusion is what they want it to be. I COULD play dumb and send them 30 Eurasion dove wings and give them something else to ponder. I guess I'll just go along with the program and request feedback as to what their goal is in all of this. Good thought you had. Liars use stastics and statistics lie....................

We have a dirt field that we planted in wheat so there is wheat seed .........EVERYWHERE and so there is doves.......EVERYWHERE . I went on a scouting mission this morning and there were 30 doves that i saw and i was only there 1 hour. I will be shooting 12 gauge number 7 1/2 REmington StS and reloaded number 8s i have the flapper dove and a couple of clip ons and a dove tree so i think i am set

The wheat harvest is on in East Helena. Sunday afternoon, I witnessed several different groups of 25-50 birds. We are supposed to get a cold front this weekend. I hope they don't all blow out of here.
John

PCAMMO Don't want to sound heartless in your deal, however, IF that cold front is significant enough those doves will wind up here. The first wave has already passed through. I don't understand F&Gs reluctance to start the season the first week of August so we can get in on that early migration.

Good luck!!

Counted 35 Eurasians this morning hanging around the chicken house. To find the mournings we have to get out into the harvested grain fields. Opening day is Sept. 01.

Cannot wait for it to start.

By the way they are grouping, I already suspect they will blow out of here by Sunday. Not sure how the Eurasians will react. Back East we only had a few of them, so I am not that sure of their habits yet.
John

I am like a kid waiting for Christmas morning waiting for Sept 1st. We will be hunting Goose early and dove right after our goose limit is done. We have a field loading up with geese everyday and we are only allowed 2 per day, with 3 hunters that wont take long. Then to the dove spot of cut corn fields. saw 50 - 75 birds a week ago. Should be a great day.

Originally Posted By: dog1whckrPCAMMO I don't understand F&Gs reluctance to start the season the first week of August so we can get in on that early migration.

If I understand it right its not the State F&G but Federal Migratory regs or such.....but I could be totally wrong.

KAG Your probably right!. I need to have a HIP(harvest information program) tag before I can hunt migratory birds like doves, ducks, etc.. The HIP(FEDERAL PROGRAM) runs June to June, my hunting license(s) expire on Dec. 31st. Since the migratory birds fall into the FEDS hands? its not defined(in my mind) to the hunters advantage; especially with the doves - here anyway. The duck season is just as convoluted as well. The BEST weeks here(IMHO) to hunt the ducks are blocked out as non-hunting. In other words we hunt, don't hunt, then hunt again. Sounds like federal involvement to me.

Bowjunkie, are the doves eating corn where you're at? They don't seem to be crazy about it here. There's probably a 60 acre field in front of my house that's been cut for 11 days now, and I haven't seen a limit of doves since it's been cut. They spilled maybe 20 bushels in the gravel road in front of my house and I've yet to see a dove on it. They don't eat the rice much either.

Shayne

Corn is a major food source in Southern Ohio. WE hunt the corn and bean fields, you will find the birds.

Just checked the regs and the early season we are allowed 4 geese and we now have 5 so it will be a little longer and hopefully more fun.
thumbup1.gif
I was looking for choke tubes and shells last night. Man I am ready. Cant wait

The doves here are feeding heavy on the wheat harvest fields that were done in late June. The sunflower fields are still not cut after 2weeks of F&G saying tomorrow everyday. If I thought I could get away with it I would drive the tractor and bush hog out there and at least cut the field I want to set up on. But I know that no good deed goes unpunished so I guess I'll impatiently wait.

100+ degrees here and doves are all over the place. I saw several hundred whitewings today driving from Austin to Waco.

Well the forecast opening day is thunderstorms and winds to 30mph.....lets see that means those doves will be flying with the wind at Mach 1. Glad I bought lots of shells.

Still no doves on the spilled corn, but an hour before there were 3 buck deer standing in the gravel road 50 yards from my front door shoveling the corn down. They ought to be in good shape come winter.

Shayne

Well I called the F&G guys and asked about the sunflower field I want to hunt. I told them I can see that it has not been cut. They said the tractor broke down.

I told them I would take mine out if they wanted.....they said sure so I bush hogged the center out of field. It was an 8 acre field and I knocked down maybe 4 in the center. I cut it in such a way that driving up to it you can not tell the center has been cut. So it looks like an uncut field that would be hard to hunt. The doves were coming in behind me in good numbers and feeding when I left.

we got 13 acres we dont cut just bushhog around the hayfield we have the best crop this year with low weeds they like bare ground . i went to 1 field yesterday looked like butterflys all the Doves musta been hundreds yes hundreds hope this Earl doesn't miss things up.

Back