Unfruitful Wolf Hunt

Hunter55

Unfruitful Wolf hunt

I’m passing this along so other hunters don’t hit a pothole in the road.

I’ve only been on 2 guided hunts of my life, one for hogs and the other was a Idaho wolf hunt. There are no hogs around here so the hog hunt, well was a hog hunt nothing spectacular but I got a hog.

A few years back a friend who knew this outfitter in Idaho talked me into a wolf hunt, sounds good right? Well we drive all the way to Idaho fly out of base camp and standing around the fire talking and the guide starts talking about the wolves they’ve been catching in traps I thought oh crap, my odds of success just plummeted. Of all the questions a fellow could ask prior to the hunt, I never pondered to ask, “Are you trapping wolves”?

Well as luck would have it, or not, we spent 5 days tromping around in the snow never to even see a damn wolf track. Course I fully understand hunting is hunting and I also understand if an outfitter is trapping, well, that don’t help the success rate of paying customers. So, if you ever consider a hunt of sorts ask the fellow if he traps.

Attachments

• David -1.jpg
    David -1.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00552.JPG
    DSC00552.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 28
bummer. I have looked into paying a guide and going for wolves in the past, but it seems like the success rate is very low and the money is BIG. I dont have any interest really in sitting in a blind for days on end to shoot one.

bummer. I have looked into paying a guide and going for wolves in the past, but it seems like the success rate is very low and the money is BIG. I dont have any interest really in sitting in a blind for days on end to shoot one.
I totally get it, this was like a marathon foot race through the woods to get to different meadows. Never hunted like this and to late to start now, as the pace we were moving everything saw us, we couldn't see anything. A waste of time and money IMO

Dang. Sorry that turned out the way it did. I have heard far too many bad reviews about various guides, and many different species being hunted. For that reason I am very, very hesitant to book anything with anyone unless one of my friends or someone that I trust has been with them and recommend them. Like anything else ... there are good and bad out there.

On guided wolf hunts I am 1 for 3, two killed on the 1 hunt. I did get a glimpse of one on one of the other hunts but no shot op. I also did a DIY 2 week hunt with no sighting. I feel your pain. It ain't easy and the odds are low. One the hunt I killed two on, there were two other outfitters operating in the same general area and their clients hadn't seen a wolf.

Dang. Sorry that turned out the way it did. I have heard far too many bad reviews about various guides, and many different species being hunted. For that reason I am very, very hesitant to book anything with anyone unless one of my friends or someone that I trust has been with them and recommend them. Like anything else ... there are good and bad out there.
I'd alot rather just do a DIY hunt, research, and hope for the best

On guided wolf hunts I am 1 for 3, two killed on the 1 hunt. I did get a glimpse of one on one of the other hunts but no shot op. I also did a DIY 2 week hunt with no sighting. I feel your pain. It ain't easy and the odds are low. One the hunt I killed two on, there were two other outfitters operating in the same general area and their clients hadn't seen a wolf.
Congrats on your hunt!
I lived in WY. for 20 years and would do the DIY hunt for 2 weeks or so, Elk, deer and antelope hunts were a blast. At the time I lived there you couldn't hunt wolves

I’ve only been on one guided hunt in my life and that was to Mexico for turkeys. It was a successful hunt and will do it again one day.
For everything in the States I just do public land hunts. I just feel I have as much of a possibility of taking game as a guide. With today’s technology I can plan from my recliner a year in advance and start marking areas and making phone calls. Calls to biologist in the area I plan to hunt without a doubt play a huge role in being successful. I even take their names and numbers and when successful give them a call back to thank them.

I would be about livid with the guide. I can't think of a better way to decrease the chances of getting an animal on a hunt than to trap in the same area. Best way to do it would have been to setup some kind of cattle kill for bait in the area to keep them around

Back