Ultimate Killing AR...

Kino M

Staff member
Just finished up a new build, this will be my primary moving into this fall season. IMO for a night hunting rig that's a laser beam that kills coyotes dead there is nothing better!

It's basically a close brother to what I've ran the last couple years.

Build specs are:
Aero AR10 "Builders Set" from February, very functional camo.
X-Caliber 22" SPR contour chambered in 243 Winchester, 1/10 twist, 416r stainless, plus 2" gas length.
Geissele SSA-E trigger
Magpul ACS stock
ERGO grip
PSA click adjustable gas block
Rubber City bolt
SAS TOMB flash hider and SAS Nocte suppressor.
Nvision Halo XRF

I will add an ambi safety and charging handle before season and a green laser to find the dead!

Starting on load work my first try is going to be the 55 Nosler Ballistic Tips and some 58 Vmax.

1000000187.jpg

1000000190.jpg

1000000191.jpg

I would be more than happy to shoot ,243 & agree with you 100 percent, but I can not night hunt with any thing larger than 22 cal. Do love the Halo XRF. Nice looking rifles.
Ignorant hunting laws/rules like that never cease to amaze me. In your circumstances I'd run a 22 Creedmoor or 224V with a custom reamer and slow twist barrel.

My new 204,gorilla glued a pic rail clamp on my battery trying to minimize clutter. We’ll see. The

Attachments

• IMG_5547.jpeg
    IMG_5547.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5548.jpeg
    IMG_5548.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 47
I'm thinking a 25 WSSM w/75gr Vmax would be a devastating set up.and it would fit an AR-15. I tried thAt bullet at the Elko convention out of my 25-204 and I've never had a coyote come apart like that. Next closes was from a 75gr HP out of the same rifle. I thought it might make a great combo pred/deer rig, great on deer with 100gr partition but you have to shoot coyotes the long way not to wreck them.with a lighter varmint bullet.

That would be a killer setup. But I just night hunt in mn, so the clip on would be a waste for me. But I’m excited to try a bolt setup if I can get myself comfortable with using it

Kino, I've only used Rifle length gas tubes in my 20" and 24".243's, so what's the advantage of the Rifle +2 (what does the additional 2" do for you)?

Reason why I'm asking is because last night when getting ready to order my X-Caliber 22 Creedmoor barrel, I seen the plus 2 option and there is a note that if you go that route, you're on your own.

Last edited:
Kino, I've only used Rifle length gas tubes in my 20" and 24".243's, so what's the advantage of the Rifle +2 (what does the additional 2" do for you)?

Reason why I'm asking is because last night when getting ready to order my X-Caliber 22 Creedmoor barrel, I seen the plus 2 option and there is a note that if you go that route, you're on your own.

So the big advantage is it helps bleed off the gas better if your using an adjustable gas block (which is mandatory IMO). This drastically increases brass life, less recoil and less gas and carbon blowing back into the receiver. My brass almost looks like it came from a bolt gun.

It also increases dwell time and some claim that benefits a little potential accuracy. If you look at pretty much all the top barrel manufacturers and builders they are making plus 1 or 2 rifles.

I just built up my first AR15 in 223 Wylde. Primarily going to be a truck/calling rig for dogs, and also a longer range steel plinker out to 800. Plan is to shoot the 52g eldms/53g vmax for dogs and 73g eldms/75g BTHP Match for longer steel.

Aero Lower, LaRue MBT Trigger, Laruth MBA-1 Adjustable stock, MOE K2+ grip, WOA 20" Krieger 7.7 twist upper, Warne 20 MOA mount, Burris E1 Fullfield 4-14x with LR MOA reticle. Comes in right at 11#

Snapchat-797470760.jpg

Last edited:
Only purpose of a longer gas tube is delay of bolt opening. Can give higher pfs, due to the delay and more complete powder burning before bolt opens. Mid-length and rifle length were designed to insure proper cycling/reliability. Gas is supposed to unlock the bolt and then vent through the carrier holes. Extraction is due to case/bullet pressure. It's a balancing act, you load may not work.

Back