Ultimate calling rifle build

I'm sure that Tikka is a nice rifle, but mounting a scope and spray painting it down with a rattle can doesn't make it a build IMO, much less ultimate.

There are lot's of nice factory rifles out there.

lol.....These threads always crack me up. Everybody has their own idea of what they would do. Not a single suggestion made here is remotely something I'd want to spend money on. No offense to anyone meant here. My point is that it's a personal choice and everyone has to make it for their self.

Like the old saying goes - One man's meat is another man's poison. My guess is that you already have something in mind.

pk1,
When you are through laughing, how 'bout you share with us YOUR ultimate calling rifle then?

edit: Make user to keep Nelson's (the original poster) parameters in mind...

Last edited:
.17rem.

Rem 700
Pacnor light weight contour. 1/9", super match, SS, 24"
McM Mnt Rifle stock, desert camo.
Tally rings
Leupold 3.5-10 w/TT.

DSCI0003-2.jpg

Hey KnockEmDown; I like your thinking. I believe the Remington Engineers were thinking the same thing back in 1955 when they dreamt up the .244 Remington. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I am also at +1 on "come on pk1 whatcha got in mind?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Sure, the .243 would be something of a barrel burner, but it would take quite a few calling seasons to burn a barrel out on coyotes...
Could be my perspective, but seems like most guys shoot 65gr bullets or larger for yotes out of their .243s. I'm sure they are devastating, but the point blank range ballistics of a light bullet like the 55NBT screaming along are hard to ignore. Could probably use a 250yd ZERO and hold fur out to almost 350. Not a whole lotta calibers can toe that line...

Didn't take offense to pk1's comments. Just curious to hear his opinion. After all, we are all here to share & learn, right?

I think it's interesting to see different peoples Idea's of "THEIR" favorite calling rifle.

I wonder how much location plays a part in their decisions??? We hunt pretty thick stuff here in Mi. and just don't get the long shots that guys get while hunting in the some of the more open western states. I mean with a pair of us hunting here one guy is always toting a shotgun.

"Ultimate calling rifle build" or

If I wanted "a really nice factory rifle" for a coyote calling rig. I could never make up my mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
I just finished up my "what I always wanted, but never found" rifle. It started with a squared Remington 700 SA. I had a 20", #1 contour Douglas XX air gauged barrel chambered in 223 Remington with a 1-8 twist installed. A Mark Bansner High Tech Specialties SA Sheep Hunter stock was next. Lastly, I just finished (today) spraying the barreled action with DuraCoat SL in Vltor Black. It will wear a Denver model 3-9x42 Redfield Widefield Illuminator with AccuTrac rangefinder.
I also made some mods to the trigger, bolt and a few other things. Now I have to let the DuraCoat cure for a while. MI VHNTR

Post some pictures when you get it all together. That sounds like a well thought out rifle to me!!!!

Just a quick picture of the rifle after I assembled it today. It'll sit in the safe a while to allow the DuraCoat to fully cure. I'm pretty well pleased with the outcome of this project. MI VHNTR

IMG_0228.jpg

Quote:
pk1,
When you are through laughing, how 'bout you share with us YOUR ultimate calling rifle then?

edit: Make user to keep Nelson's (the original poster) parameters in mind...

I just bought a Remington 700 Classic chambered for 300 Savage that Kieth's in Gresham was having trouble selling so I bought it for a steal, sent it to my favorite gunsmith in Twenty Nine Palms, CA and had him blueprint the action and put a Shilen 220 Swift barrel on it.

To try and bend my preferences to make them fit someone else's really doesn't make sense to me. My all time favorite calling rifle was one of the first Sako Foresters chambered for 22-250. This was in the late 60's. I also had a Remington 722 222 that I loved. My preference is a reasonably light, accurate rifle that kills efficiently. I wouldn't put the "have to see the impact" part in the mix.

My calling rifles are an old Sako Vixen chambered in 223 AI, A CZ 527 204 that I like but don't carry out on stand very often and a Kimber 84M Classic 22-250 that I've killed around 25 coyotes with in the past 3 seasons when I wasn't using my Winchester SuperX2 3 1/2" shotgun or one of my other rifles. I'm hoping the Swift will make the other rifles safe queens. Since getting back into calling a few years back I've been experimenting with a few rifles but I really prefer to have a single go to gun with a good backup. The Kimber will probably be my backup. It's an outstanding calling rifle. Lightweight, fast swinging when required, accurate as can be and packs a punch.

Last edited:
Quote:
lol.....These threads always crack me up. Everybody has their own idea of what they would do. Not a single suggestion made here is remotely something I'd want to spend money on.

Quote:

My calling rifles are an old Sako Vixen chambered in 223 AI, A CZ 527 204 that I like but don't carry out on stand very often and a Kimber 84M Classic 22-250 that I've killed around 25 coyotes with in the past 3 seasons when I wasn't using my Winchester SuperX2 3 1/2" shotgun or one of my other rifles.

So three of your calling rifles are chambered in calibers previously recommended to the original poster?
All of a sudden this thread cracks me up too...

Called 4 dogs at once they came running down a cowtrail single file right at me. I had only had my RR AR about a month.They trotted right up to 30 yards before the lead dog figured something was up. I dropped the first one at 30 yards the next at 75 yards and had a straightaway shot at 100yards on dog #3. As luck would have it he zigged right as I squizzzzed. Anyway my point is that this would have never happened with my old bolt guns.
DSC04681.jpg

Quote:
Called 4 dogs at once they came running down a cowtrail single file right at me. I had only had my RR AR about a month.They trotted right up to 30 yards before the lead dog figured something was up. I dropped the first one at 30 yards the next at 75 yards and had a straightaway shot at 100yards on dog #3. As luck would have it he zigged right as I squizzzzed. Anyway my point is that this would have never happened with my old bolt guns.
DSC04681.jpg

I would have to say "That depends" on terrain of-course. My first hunt ever I called in and killed a triple. #1 at 45 yds, #2 at 100'ish, #3 at 175'ish. I was using a Savage 12FV in .223. With practice a bolt gun can be cycled pretty fast. Of-course I'm in Texas and in a pretty wide open plowed sourghum field, so that helped.

Never is a VERY long time.

Chupa

Quote:
Quote:
lol.....These threads always crack me up. Everybody has their own idea of what they would do. Not a single suggestion made here is remotely something I'd want to spend money on.

Quote:

My calling rifles are an old Sako Vixen chambered in 223 AI, A CZ 527 204 that I like but don't carry out on stand very often and a Kimber 84M Classic 22-250 that I've killed around 25 coyotes with in the past 3 seasons when I wasn't using my Winchester SuperX2 3 1/2" shotgun or one of my other rifles.

So three of your calling rifles are chambered in calibers previously recommended to the original poster?
All of a sudden this thread cracks me up too...

It's even more humorous if you can follow it......

Thanks for the input. I picked up several good ideas from the posts. I will either have it built in 223 Rem or 243 Win. Common sense tells me to go with the 243 so it can also be used here in Wa. for larger game. Will still need to think on this part. I fully understand the buy a stock rifle and paint/dip and move forward, but alot of the enjoyment is putting together something unique with some special features. Since almost all of my rifles are Remingtons I will stick with a common Rem. 700 action that has been squared. I like the QR rings idea since I will use the same rifle for Ground Squirrel and Rockchuck work in the spring. I contacted the Smith I would like to use and he agreed to the job but will have to wait until September to start. I will be sending a few of you PM's with a few additional questions.

Thanks, Nelson

Quote:
Looking to put together an (semi-custom) ultimate calling rifle for coyotes during the off season. Predominately to be used in the sage country of E. Washington. Here are some of the mandatory parameters.

- Remington action
- Sporter weight barrel
- Caliber good to 300+ yards, prefer light recoil to observe impact. (17fb, 221fb, 204 ruger, 223 rem, or others,) No wildcats please
- Camo finish, could be dipped or a custom stock with coated metal.
- optics, prefer leupold or nikon

Would appreciate some input to get the project started.

Thanks, Nelson

Well, you could do as I did and buy a Remington Model 7 Predator chambered in .17 fireball.

It fills the remington action, light recoil to observe impact and camo requests. You might get 300 yards out of it with reloads or more( I am not going to shoot any coyotes that far anyway so that part is less important and I have a .243 if the need arises.

And Nikon just came out with a 4.5 x 14 power scope called interestingly enough the coyote special that is available in mossy oak brush camo to match the gun. They also have matching rings.

There are an infinite number of possibilities but this probably gets you darn close right off the shelf.

Quote:

I had 4 come in on me several years back. I was also using an AR15 and got three. I've never gotten a triple since. I had a light AR15 upper 6mm-223 (6x45) built by Noveski. The 6mm bullets do put the hammer down on coyotes. It's a fun rifle too.

Here's a nice little Rem, it started as a 223 but burned that one up. Rebarreled to 6x45 but they can be found in 222Rem, 243 and 244.

PICT0031.jpg

I have about 10 rifles set up for predator calling from 22H to 250-3000 and if I had to choose only one this would be it. 22" Pac-Nor 1-10 twist Leupold VX-II 1x4x20mm

AWS

Back