Two big males today!

Megalon

HOMAnimated (1).gif

Today was the perfect morning for hunting. 30 degrees, wind topping out at 5 mph and snow still on the ground. My first set, nothing and then on my second set three came in. Took aim at the one in the back and he dropped paws up. I really thought I might get one of the other two but when I ran the bolt they took off. Probably between 150 and 200 yards. Third set, I was only set up for about seven minutes and one came charging in to Cottonbomb like he was starving. Got him at about 75 yards when he stopped and got that "something isn't right" look. Fourth and fifth sets produced magpies and one fox that couldn't figure out what was going on. All and all, one spectacular day.

1710021749541.png
1710021814721.png
1710021848747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice! Really nice looking coyotes. Just curious… Do trees grow where you are? Lol… Looks awesome there. I hope to someday experience a bit of hunting in that vast open terrain. Not anything close to that here in NY. Congratulations on a good hunt.

Very nice. I too wish to experience hunting in places like that someday. Good looking coyotes, definitely prettier than all of our coyotes here in Pa. Congratulations

Very nice. I too wish to experience hunting in places like that someday. Good looking coyotes, definitely prettier than all of our coyotes here in Pa. Congratulations
You really owe it to yourself to come out here. Problem is it is hard to leave once you do. By the way, I was born and raised near Clarion, PA.

Very nice! Really nice looking coyotes. Just curious… Do trees grow where you are? Lol… Looks awesome there. I hope to someday experience a bit of hunting in that vast open terrain. Not anything close to that here in NY. Congratulations on a good hunt.
The land out here is really interesting. You have vast stretches of rolling plains, with hills and rocky outcroppings. We do have trees, just that they are usually found in these rocky hills and coullies. You have these draws and washes that are really thick. You can have a moose in a draw right next to you and never know it. Besides coyote hunting, the mule deer out here are absolutely crazy. The buck I got last year was the largest I have ever got and i have been hunting since I was 12. Thats 41 years of hunting. I guess i am getting old. Pheasant hunting out here is also ridiculous. However, there is one thing I really do miss out here. Spring gobbler hunting. In order to find turkeys in my area I have to drive a ways south. Nothing like calling in a big turkey on a spring morning in the northeast.

I am right on the US Canadian Border about an hour and a half from the North Dakota-Montana Line. In fact the second of these coyotes crossed the border to end up in my sights.

The land out here is really interesting. You have vast stretches of rolling plains, with hills and rocky outcroppings. We do have trees, just that they are usually found in these rocky hills and coullies. You have these draws and washes that are really thick. You can have a moose in a draw right next to you and never know it. Besides coyote hunting, the mule deer out here are absolutely crazy. The buck I got last year was the largest I have ever got and i have been hunting since I was 12. Thats 41 years of hunting. I guess i am getting old. Pheasant hunting out here is also ridiculous. However, there is one thing I really do miss out here. Spring gobbler hunting. In order to find turkeys in my area I have to drive a ways south. Nothing like calling in a big turkey on a spring morning in the northeast.
Hard to visualize something as big as a moose disappearing in what looks like flat country in a picture. I was wondering how you could find any cover/concealment.
Only place I can see a few hundred yards down here is looking down two tracks, pipelines and dry lake beds, but easy to blend in with the brush. No hills here (far S. Tx), either. You'd sure have to watch your movements up there to keep from getting busted.

Been in that area in June and saw them laying line to a water tank out in a pasture. Ask what they were laying at a depth of 6-8 feet and they said a 2" water line and I ask why so deep--they laughed and said "winter is cold and long here". Nice pics and a good hunt.

Hard to visualize something as big as a moose disappearing in what looks like flat country in a picture. I was wondering how you could find any cover/concealment.
Only place I can see a few hundred yards down here is looking down two tracks, pipelines and dry lake beds, but easy to blend in with the brush. No hills here (far S. Tx), either. You'd sure have to watch your movements up there to keep from getting busted.
I get that. I am not really good at making videos, however in a few weeks shed season is going to start. I will get down in these draws and washes and send you some footage of what I mean. These moose get themselves into a thicket and literally just hollow it out. It is totally crazy how they do it. I have been stalking a bull out here with my binos for a few weeks now in hope of figuring out where he is going to drop his spoons.

You really owe it to yourself to come out here. Problem is it is hard to leave once you do. By the way, I was born and raised near Clarion, PA.
Clarion is 45 minutes from me. I'm between Franklin and Meadville. I've always told everyone "if I ever get to go to Montana, I'm not coming back"😁 looking to retire in 3-4 years and hoping to get to come out that way to do some predator hunting.

Back