Turkey Season

I think the first part of are season is going to be good but the end will be hard to get one down. With this warm spring if it stays this way the breeding season will end early.

Another one bites the dust..
photo-17.jpg

Last edited:
My wife and I drew tags again; second year running!! Big deal for us.

Morgadype, the unknown sexed decoy, the shotguns and rifle, my wife and I are all ready and raring to get 'er done.

Season starts April 14th.

Last year was our first with the turkeys and it took just a little over an hour and a half to get our two toms.
Looked a little to easy at the time. This year could be totally different!!!

Just booked my ticket to Nebraska for May 18th-23rd, to get my Merriam and Rio..

Pretty excited..

Might throw a predator hunt in there as well..

You can shoot coyotes year round in NE, can't you?

Opens April 25th here. Hoping the hens will be bred and the toms still in the mood to party. My calling is so bad that is usually when I have the best luck. When they are like guys in a bar at Last Call.

I like you Carter Lake...Season opens here in NM tomorrow(15th), but I won't get to hunt until Thursday. Going to be a lot different than hunting birds back in SC.

Go Tigers!

Last edited:
dont feel special season is still way off in ohio and birds are sitting already wish dnr would actualy do some survaying on this sux not to call em in while hot

Originally Posted By: beaglerTwo more weeks before the season opens here in PA. With the weather we are having I'll see poults by then!

I was feelin the same way, but we got some snow from a cold front this weekend, it will either stall them or send them into mass confusion.... looks like late evening roost hunting for sure....not as much fun, but i'll take it....

Got out for our opener yesterday. Not a peep in about 5 miles of hiking and calling. Tried everything I knew. Got back to the car and two hens were feeding silently within 50yds of the vehicle. Very frustrating. The mountains are extremely dry and it was in the mid 70's. Going to be tough going this year for me it seems. The farmers are already bailing fields here, and bucks are still scraping. I found about half dozen active scrapes with hair in the licking branches. This is a crazy year for sure, even the deer are confused.

Season has been open for a week(almost); no amount of calling has turned up a tom, although, we have seen quite a few around. Since the first bird goes to my wife, its been just plain frustrating. We changed tactics 3 days ago and went to spot, stalk and ambush. Yesterday I told my wife this is turning into 'get lucky' type of hunting; you know, come around the corner and come face to face with your bird. Well, at 6:15 last night we came around a corner in a field ditch and there, standing in the new barley, is TOM!! Its a couple of minutes before my wife gets ONE of the shots she needs, pow, flop, and her tom is down and dead; a 155 yard shot to the head with her 22-250!! Tom went between 22 and 24 pounds. A real bruiser..
The wife is a real shooter; always was and, probably, will always be.

Its MY turn next; then my bro. in May.

Wish us luck!!!

Dont know anyone back here that hunts with a rifle. Congrats but if I popped one with a rifle I would catch heck from my buddies .

We will take them any way we can. I got mine last year with a rifle. Sometimes you just have to work outside the box to accomplish your goal.

Don't know if rifle is legal where your from, however, here? its perfectly legal or we wouldn't do it.

GRIZZ I believe thats what we are seeing here.. WHEN we see hens? its usually late in the day, alone, and they are not all herded up with their other hen buddies. Makes for TOUGH calling!!!

Back