turkey loads for fox

#4 hevishot is a great load for fox, however 50yds is pushing it . If you are going to shoot that far bump up to a HTL BB load , #4 buck or the Dead Coyote(T-shot) shotshells.

I've shot called gray fox with Remington 2 3/4" #4s, copper plated Premier Magnums, buffered with very good results. Shots weren't all that far, I'm guessing maybe 25-30 yards max. It dropped them right then and there. As well, I took my first bobcat with the same load, dropped on the spot, but it was close.

As to shooting 50 yards, I wouldn't feel comfortable at that distance with the loads.

If fox are all you are after, then I see nothing wrong with turkey loads, specifically copper plated ones that pattern well in your shotgun. However, if coyotes are also a main target, I wouldn't feel comfortable without a heavier pellet.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I've shot called gray fox with Remington 2 3/4" #4s, copper plated Premier Magnums, buffered with very good results. Shots weren't all that far, I'm guessing maybe 25-30 yards max. It dropped them right then and there. As well, I took my first bobcat with the same load, dropped on the spot, but it was close.

As to shooting 50 yards, I wouldn't feel comfortable at that distance with the loads.

If fox are all you are after, then I see nothing wrong with turkey loads, specifically copper plated ones that pattern well in your shotgun. However, if coyotes are also a main target, I wouldn't feel comfortable without a heavier pellet.

40 yards max. ill hold it to, and we have a lot of grays with the occasional red around here. most shots honestly will probably be about 20-30. i would also tote the 222 with me for the longer fox shots and if im in a spot with yotes. luckily we dont have a ton of them yet but seeing more and more every year

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: davejohnson3i am just thinking about using them because i already have them available to me, no one locally sells #4 buck, and im not supporting dicks sporting goods at this time since they pulled all their guns off the shelves. i shot today at 40 yards and got 30 pellets in a paper plate, and 10 in the small 4" circle in the middle. im guessing that will do. 40 yards would be max probably most shots wouldbe about 30 anyways

Not trying to be a smartazz, but that pattern needs work. A lot of work. Your paper plate is 9". Most turkey guns aren't considered reliable gobbler getters unless they are punching at least a consistent center dense 100 pellet strikes in 10" at point of aim @ 40 yards. With a bit of attention it isn't hard to get 150+ in the 10" @ 40 yards.

i shoot #6 shot for gobblers because they pattern best, #5s second, and 4s the worst. thats why i dont shoot em at gobblers. and i use a comp n choke for the turkeys. im using a cheaper, more open choke for the #4s with only 10$/box shells. my turkey loads are winchester double x mags with 2 1/4 oz of #6 shot i drop em out to 60 easily

I average right at 200 #6 Hevi13 @ 40 yards in the 10" at point of aim. Pure head shredder!

what are you shooting for gun and choke? haha problem would be for me is i took my monster gobbler this year at 8 yards, looked like a slug hit his neck and the wad was stuck in his neck. cant imagine that load hittin em

For me it's not so much what's "needed" for a particular critter.When I hunt varmint's I'm a card carrying liberal and take whatever comes to the call.No discrimination here.

The problem with #4 buck is there is too much space between the pellets at distance to ensure a solid kill on a fox, which is a lot smaller than a coyote. add to that the generally thicker brush that foxes like, and a wounded runoff might never be recovered. That's why smaller but more shot is handy.

I've used Hevi-13 3" #4's at 40 yards on foxes, they work great. I think lead #4's might be on the light side.

I now use 3" #2 Rem Nitro lead on foxes.

Back