Turkey Contest Photo's! ( We have a winner)!!!!

May 7th went out at 5:30 am sat in my tent until 4:30 pm and saw two rabbits....

MaY 8th went out at 8:00 am sat in tent until 4:30 pm
saw one hen...got on the box call and got the gobbler to gobble but he would not show himself....

May 9th went out at 8:00 am got set up in tent about 8:10
got on the box call at 8:15 nothing....tried again at 8:20 nothing...was looking out the window straight ahead at 8:30 turned and looked out the window to my left and there he was heading to the decoys...when he got straight out in front of me and stuck his head way up in the air bang flop it was over...

This was my first turkey hunt and what a great first hunt...

weight 23.54lbs
beard 11 1/2 inches
spurs 1 1/8 inches
benelli SBEII
winchester 3 1/2 #5s

0001.jpg

Last edited:
The turkey's were goin crazy today!! I wasn't plannin on hunting till i went outside at 6:30 this mornin and heard birds gobblin in every direction. I had to take the kids to the bus stop and 1 of em to the sitters. The whole time i was driving around i was seein turkey's struttin and crossin fields. I hurridely got back to the house around 8 o'clock and heard this tom still gobblin. I went and setup on him and called him in and shot him at the 40 minute mark.
It was pretty similar to the one i got sunday, there were 2 toms show up, 1 strutter and the other watchin for danger. The strutter messed up and got to close and met a load of hevi-shot #4's, done deal. I haven't seen the turkey's turn on like this in years, it went from completely dead to wild as heck. Now it's time to take the wife out and try to help her connect.

20 lbs.
10.5" beard
1" spurs

2ndbird.jpg

JD

WOW! Nice birds all! I been covered up the last few weeks just got in to take a look at some of the pic's! Great job! Looks like everyone has had a good season!

Congrads to all! And keep them comming!

Brent

JD,

Is that really a turkey strutting in the background of your hero shot photo? If so, you are covered up with them. Birds have been real tough around here. Well, actually the weather has.

Tony

Like i said, they were runnin crazy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Really though, that's a mount of mine. It was rainin and i wanted to setup the pic in the back of the house and put the mount farther behind me, to appear more realistic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I guess 20 yards wasn't quite enough, he show's up to good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif.

Tony,
I hope the weather straightens up for you.

Congrats to everyone on the nice group of birds taken /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

1 question. Where are your pics at KeeKee? you bein bashful? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

JD

Here is the results of my first ever turkey hunt. Nothing big, but with the time constrants I was under I shot the first legal bird I got a chance at.
IMG_0348.jpg

Ambushed this boy by sneaking along a river levee on public land. Didn't weigh him, est. 20lbs 10in beard 1 inch sharp spurs
100_2941.jpg

Well here is the boys second bird of his life. He really put in some time for this one and had to sit in the pouring rain for 2 hours before the big guy came running out of the woods chasing two hens. Then the tom stops right in the shooting lane with only its neck and head showing above the grass. The boy was quite excited. Made a beauty shot at 45 yds with a 20 gauge. Bird dropped in its tracks. But more importantly, when we went to get the bird he put his gun down in the blind and much to my pleasure when I returned to the blind to retrieve all the gear, the safety was ON. I was so proud of him for remembering safety above everything. Enjoy the photo.

GAge06.jpg

My other Boy with his first bird. Photo is not as good but I am geting better. This one fell at 20 yds, while it and a twin stood there looking at all three of my kids and me. The other two kids each had a shot at the second bird and both missed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif. I was not able to hunt because it was youth day here in Maine. But both boys got their birds this year, see previous post.

DevonTurk06.jpg

And here is mine. I have been out shot both weight and beard length by the two boys. And they let me know about it. The old boy's tail is messed up because he decided he wated to wrestle with me a while after the shot. He put up a good fight all the way to the Jeep, but I got the pin on him!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Turkey2006.jpg

Last edited:
This is my second bird I took here in Idaho. Shot him the first weekend of may with lots of hound music for background. Didn't think I could compete with the bear hunters but it turned out well.
Bovill5-6-06.jpg

OK...We are getting close to the line here guys!

JUNE 3rd at 12:00 am

If you got pic's get them in here before then. I will be taking pic's to be voted on!

Brent

Thats it guys!

Nice pic's! Looks like everyone had a good season! Congrads!

Give us a few days to vote and we will get some winners!

Thanks to all that posted up there pic's!

Brent

I haft to Thank everyone for posting up all the good pic's and playing along this year! There are some great pic's on here, and the voting was tough!!!!!

But we have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im glad everyone had a good season! And hope you all have many more.....who knows we may do this contest every year!

Anyway........Here we go!

1st Place....................................

Yellowhammer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrads!

2nd Place.......................................

EWWaterfowler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRADS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you all will PM me your info I will get your prizes out to you in the main this week!

Again THANKS for playing!

Brent

Thanks, Brent! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The competition looked pretty stiff this year! A lot more and better pictures than last year. Congratulations to everyone that got a bird (looks like some got more than one). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back