"TT" Custom Skinning Knives - The first ones...

TonyTebbe

Here are the first "TT" Custom Skinning Knives. These are the right size for predator hunters. I've been wanting to make a knife for many years, but never got around to it. It definately has it's challenges.

The left one is mine and the right is my buddy ScottyM. These feature hidden pins, as to not take away from the handle material.
knives1.jpg

Nicaraguan Cocobolo that Kerry Carver sent me for calls. The blade is 440c steel. It balances well and fits in the hand like a glove. This one is going on my belt.
ttknife1.jpg

Corian handled skinner in a different style. The blade on this one is heavy and also made of 440c steel. It is custom fit to my buddy Scott's hand.
smknife1.jpg

I'm trying out a couple more skinning blade styles, as well. When I'm comfortable with my abilities, I'll produce the damascus blade knives.

What ya'll think?

Tony

They look Fantastic Tony... That looks like it was a real challenge. I really like the hidden pin idea it makes for a very clean appearance.. There is only one problem that I see (WHERE IS ONE FOR SALE) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Great job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Kerry

Killer knives Tony!!! But knowing you I would'nt look for anything less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Where do you find the freakin time! I want one just like yours but with the damaskus steel. Box it up with the other stuff your sending me..... oh and feel free to keep the bill . LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the fine comments guys. I'll put some up for sale when I get more done. I'm still working on finding the right sized skinning blades for these. I personally use scapels for skinning, so I'm looking for nice small blades for these. Most skinning blades on the market are for elk/moose size animals...useless to me as a predator hunter.

Tony

Those really look neat Tony and appear well made. For skinning that design is among the very best imho. Would be awesome with either carbon or damascus blades.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Very nice my Friend! But then you always do seem to produce only the nicest!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I second Crapshoots question - When do you find the time? On second thought - Just send me one of the clocks that you use and maybe I will have some extra time also!!

Keep up the great work!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Thanks again guys. I didn't catch Crapshoot's reply, until Cactus Rat pointed it out. Lance posted the exact same time that I did last night and I never saw it. There seems to be quite a few fans of the damascus blades. The problem is, I can't hardly afford to make the knives. Damascas blades start around $65 - $75. Even a billet of damascus steel will run $50 or so. That's a heck of a gamble to start building a knife on. I guess that's why most custom damascus knives are $200-$300. That's way out of the range that I'm wanting to build knives for. Most of the guys I hunt with wouldn't spend that much on a skinning tool. What's the point in making something at noone would use? It would just become another dust collector in the shadow box. I want to produce daily users...that flat out work, look great, and most can afford.

This is the first time I've tried stainless steel. I was extremely impress on how hard it is. I twisted 3 drillbits and ruined 4 more, trying to drill out 2 holes for the pins. I've got more blades coming, before I settle on a blade design that I want to produce more of. So far, I'm very partial to the design of mine above.

Oh..and as far as time? Scott and I spent pretty much the entire day on Sunday work on these. It was a nice break away from calls, but I've got to get back to working on calls this week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks all...I was hoping these would be well recieved.

Tony

You are welcome my friend...enjoy it. Just don't cut yourself with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif We'll have to figure out what to do about sheaths, as I don't have the time or patience to stitch any up.

Tony

Tony,
What is the RC of those 440C blades? If you really want to take on a hard steel, try a little D2 or S90V at 60+RC. That is some tough stuff!

Back