True AR Accuracy?

Thanks for the replies guys. Don't get me wrong, my AR is not inaccurate. I never meant to implie that my groups were horrible. They probably avg. around .750-1.00". I may have 3 or 4 in 1/2" and my flier opens the group to the .750-1.00" range. Then on occasion, I keep all 5 shots in .500 to .600. Its just that I am more comfortable with my bolt guns and am achieving better accuracy with them and was wondering if that was the norm. Definitely think I will play with cheek weld though.

Last edited:
Bolt rifles, as a general rule, will always be more consistently accurate over an AR. I have some and have shot many very accurate AR's, but there is a reason that they are not being used in BR or other long distance shoots, other than those designated for them.

I have the Stag 3G like Varmintkillers above. After I zeroed the scope the first time and fired a 5 shot group, I was cussing myself, the rifle, the scope and ammo as the last three rounds completely missed the paper! Or so i thought as I couldn't see fresh holes through the scope from the bench at 100 yards.

Disgusted, I went to collect the target and just about stepped on my lower jaw! The first two were cutting each other and the next three made a nice little clover leaf in the same holes. I didn't have a micrometer, but a ruler said 1/4 inch outside to outside at the widest point.
This was using 55 gr Barnes Vor-tx TSX and a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9 scope
The Geissele 3G trigger is nothing short of amazing!

Originally Posted By: msermanIf your fliers are inside .750 - 1.00 I don't think they qualify as fliers...

There is no such thing as fliers. Only groups. A group with 3 in one hole and one 1" away is still a 1" group...

Thanks for starting this post Jay. I'm in the slow process of building a more accurate AR for 'yotes and was wondering the same thing.

I am just getting into predator hunting. Been wanting to for a while but got bit real hard when a friend took me out and called two in to 10 yds of me. I panicked and ended up with just one.

I don't see any accuracy issues with the AR its self, but I do find them awkward and some what difficult to set up and shoot of a bench. The younger guys who grew up with them don't seem to struggle with them like I do.

I'm also wondering if the scope's having a parallex focusing knob makes a difference along with the cheek weld and trigger. If you adjust the scope for zero parallex error at the range distance you shoot at then the cheek weld may not be as important? Just wondering if the two go hand in hand.

Cheek weld is important as it not only affects parallax, it also affects the recoil of the rifle, thus the POI.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
My Stag 3L shoots nowhere near my better bolt guns. I did the trigger spring and grip screw thing and though that did help some the bolts gun have much better triggers so therefore they shoot much better. On a good day the Stag will shoot some 3/4" groups while the 6BR or the Swift will be well under 1/2". But the Stag is still a fun rifle to shoot, just not as accurate. It shoots good enough to hunt with.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: msermanIf your fliers are inside .750 - 1.00 I don't think they qualify as fliers...

There is no such thing as fliers. Only groups. A group with 3 in one hole and one 1" away is still a 1" group...

We're making the same point. I was being sarcastic.

But, if you can shot a consistent group but you pull a shot every once in awhile you have a flyer. Just saying...

Originally Posted By: msermanOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: msermanIf your fliers are inside .750 - 1.00 I don't think they qualify as fliers...

We're making the same point. I was being sarcastic.

But, if you can shot a consistent group but you pull a shot every once in awhile you have a flyer. Just saying...

No, you pulled the shot and opened the group...just sayin
wink.gif

Shooting an AR does take a bit of practice to get used to compared to a bolt gun. The ergonomics are different, and the moving parts influence how the gun handles. Consistency from shot to shot can be a bit more difficult.

Also, many write off the accuracy of an AR because they buy a low end version (most commonly found configuration). Shooting a chrome lined barreled AR with a stock trigger is setting yourself up for disappointment. Put a nice barrel on the rifle and a Geissele Hispeed match trigger and their opinions will probably change.

As someone that started shooting with semi autos I still find a bolt rifle easier to shoot.

I would really like to see more pictures of all these .5 - .75 inch groups so many seem to be shooting. I'm assuming these are real groups of 5 shots? That's really impressive that so many guys can shoot

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseI would really like to see more pictures of all these .5 - .75 inch groups so many seem to be shooting. I'm assuming these are real groups of 5 shots? That's really impressive that so many guys can shoot

Still looking for the best hunting round for my new 20" 1:8 GM barrel AR with FF hnd-grd.
Here's two groups of five, was zeroing between groups, and still using mil-spec trigger.
I blame the vertical spread within each group on (me) old trigger. Target radius is 1".
Ordered a BTE match trigger and hope to shrink these groups with new trigger.

(added later) my bolt CZ 223 does better, but then it has a great trigger from the factory.

159052236.rMeHkx7u.jpg

There are always exceptions, but you're most likely going to get more accuracy in a bolt gun for the same price.
Although, that might not hold true with how low prices are getting for AR.

Last edited:
I have owned 2 "custom" AR's. Both shot OK and I killed several coyotes with one of them.
But neither of them ever came anywhere close to the accuracy of the 2 custom .223 bolt guns I have owned.

Back