Trouble with a Remington Model 788...

I've breech loaded my 788's for years... my .243 is on its second barrel, probably 3000+ rounds through that action--probably most of them breech loaded (not stripped from magazine). No problems with extractor issues so far.

Dan

Ok, I was leaning toward the extractor and it still could be the trouble. I can chamber a round and push the bolt hard on it and then look at the base of the bolt handle and see it is just ever so slightly hitting on the area of the receiver that it would normally be in front of in the full closed position. I have tried several different loads, two factory, and some of my full length resized handloads that function fine in my two other .243 rifles. Something is holding the bolt from fully closing and allowing it to be cammed on down into the closed position. It would be entirely possible that the cartridge was on the outside of the extractor instead of underneath the hook and tight to the bolt face. However, cartridges do slip under the hook easily enough when I try that with the bolt out of the rifle. But they don’t always come out of the chamber area with the bolt dragging them out as normal. The chamber and throat are clean. I don’t know I’m a bit stumped…

Back