Trigger Pull Weight

Since you are in Kansas and not likely to shoot me I would say switch that baby out for two pounds.

If you hunted with,me I would say the factory trigger should go down to 2.5 pounds if done right and that is as low as you should go...

Anything that sees field time is set at 2.5-3 lbs here. My long range steel guns are 1.5 with the exception of one light Jewell that is measures in ounces. I have seen to many misses in the field because someone thinks a lighter trigger will help them shoot better. Learn proper trigger control and the weight wont bother you much within reason.

Most of my hunting rifles are set at about 2-1/2 to 3 lbs. I hunt a lot with gloves on and don't like a trigger much lighter than that. I think it's just as important to make sure it's crisp with no creep or excessive overtravel. The term "breaks like glass" can be a little over done but that's what I'm looking for. My rifles that are used for ground squirrels or rock chucks are a different story. I'm shooting from a portable bench with a front rest and bags and these are all set up as single shot only, like a competition benchrest gun. One pound or even less is what I want here, but I still require crisp with no creep.

Mine is about 2lbs 1oz and that is perfect to me for hunting. My tikka went down to 1 lb 12oz and that felt too light for the rough kind of hunting I do.

Watch out for when your hands are numb with cold. The loss of feeling and motor control can make it easy to have an accident with such a light trigger.

Originally Posted By: ruger243223same here all my predator and deer rigs are set to 1.5 to 2lbs and most triggers are timneys. My 338RUM trigger is set to 3.5lbs. HAPPY HUNTING

im with you here

Originally Posted By: DucksoupMost of my hunting rifles are set at about 2-1/2 to 3 lbs. I hunt a lot with gloves on and don't like a trigger much lighter than that.

Yeah, same here. 3 to 3 1/2 pounds with a crisp break shoots well for a field gun.

For my varmint rigs, warm weather hunting, I like about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs. For cold weather rifles I like 3 to 3 1/2 lbs because I wear gloves.

Crisp at just under 2 lbs and I'll prob have every rifle I own from now on at that. My friends that have shot it say it's a little light but nice

Target/bench rifles - as light as they'll go while being safe. I have Jewell's that are 1.5oz.
Hunting rifles - right at two pounds.

Have a 2 lbtrigger in my Mauser and its awesome. I just bought a timney from a member that's 8oz to 1.5lb. I may have pootched that one cause this is going on my 7 mag so I'll have it as close to 1.5 as I can get

I recently installed a 510 Timney on a 700. I usually run 2.5# on my varmint rifles, but forgot to specify and it came at the default weight of 3 lbs. Kinda like it there for hunting so won't mess with it for now. Also, fwiw, if you have a stainless Rem. action, the (stainless) 512 Timney trigger is really nice for it; a little more $, though.

Last edited:

For varmit rifles 2# Deer rifles 2.5 to 3#. I know a guy that likes the lightest triger he can get achieve on a varmit rifle. He set one so light that when he took it to the field closed the bolt and it went off. Just missing his brother in law. He still has not learned.

As light as i can I shoot Jewels and as with everything else my method has been safe and no close calls and i hope i never do . Yes I've had the trigger go off at the range it was human error thats why you learn strick safety rules .ALL of my Varmint rifles are set at 1.5 OZ. I shoot heavy guns 18 lbs + they are single shot benchrest guns they set on the Farley rest and rear bag , bolt open never loaded until target is seen .When its time to shoot everyone knows i'm loading . Never load with anyone in front .Can I ask what is unsafe about that? Been working for me for years . To me the important part is knowing your equipment and practice very safe handling . Now a carry gun I can see a little difference but again my carry gun is 1 1/4 lbs .

If you think you need a light triiger to shoot accurately look at bullseye shoters. A .45 is reqired to support 3.5lb.
If its a hardball match it its 4.0 lb.

A light trigger is just a crutch for poor trigger control.

Back