Too many contests!!!

Originally Posted By: wyoyotebuster1 You have the 10% whether they are in contests are just hunting on a weekend. Like I said earlier I saw two trucks today and I still killed coyotes. My friend killed 6 yesterday and guess what he saw hunters too. Some of you are making it sound like before contests we had a utopia where no one drank and there were no unethical hunters, this is nonsense.
The Rock Springs contest now has strict no alcohol at either check in's and we've made it as uncomfortable as possible for people who are causing the problems. We have rules that demand that all laws are obeyed. I'll make the arguement that a group of guys hunting a contest are more ethical by percentage than the same size group that are not hunting a contest, as the non contest hunters don't have to worry about getting kicked out of the contest and don't get a 15 minute reminder before they go for the day.
Do I miss the good old days? [beeep] yes I do but I guess at the end of the day contests are here to stay and regardless of whether we like it or not the popularity of this sport is also here to stay. If you can't or don't want to adapt to the pressure take up bowling (I heard on espn that the popularity of bowling is plumetting) its alot warmer anyway.

yes yes, I love it!!!! contests just make us all look like a bunch of blood thirsty rednecks, its not anymore about fair chase or having fun, its just about killing animals, to me it flys in the face of ethical hunting, it flys in the face of who us as hunters are and that is people that have the up most respect for the animal they hunt.

if you think calling pressure isn't have a huge effect, you are not on the same planet, I don't give a crap about so called secret sounds or techniques, its all bull, the fact is this time of year dogs just WILL not come in. when every stand I am on has coyotes in the area and nothing I play or blow works it tell me one thing loud and clear they have been over called, I can't believe how aweful shooting some people are, a week or so ago I read a post where some guy called in 22 coyotes and only got 7 [beeep], I say, if your stand are done correctly and the coyotes are not hanging up at over 300 yards, if you are even a lousy shot kill rate should be 90%.

contests just bring out an ugly and shameful side to our sport its sad, I am thinking about checking to see the interest in trying to get contest hunting banned in wyoming, nevada and utah, I would also support requing a license to hunt as well, its getting ridiculous.

i agree steve but leave wyoming out of the buy a license thing. i hate it when out of state people try to change things here. we can make up our own minds on what we do you don't need to do it for us.
its not the contest that bothers me its the attatudes they promote

Last edited:
I tell ya what bothers me, is the fact that we all love to hunt but want to tell others how to do it! Mind your own business and do your own thing! Dont worry about others! Seems like we are our own worst enemy! JEEZ!

Originally Posted By: steve garrettI am thinking about checking to see the interest in trying to get contest hunting banned in wyoming, nevada and utah, I would also support requing a license to hunt as well, its getting ridiculous.

It is posts like this that are ridiculous. First it is helicopters and now contest hunts. What a bunch of selfish,whining, cry babies.

Randy

Quote:if your stand are done correctly and the coyotes are not hanging up at over 300 yards, if you are even a lousy shot kill rate should be 90%.

That is a load of crap. If you're just talking about straight marksmanship, and only counting the coyotes you shoot at, sure. I only take shots that I'm sure I can make, or am forced to take because there is no chance of the coyote going away without a guaranteed education. It is almost impossible for someone to kill 90% of the coyotes they call. Even if they don't count anything that hangs up out of range. More than 10% of the coyotes I've seen, or heard about from any honest hunter, will get away without ever presenting a shot. They'll come in from behind, or pop up and bolt before the hunter can get a shot. Maybe you can give a seminar on stand selection. I'd love to learn how to absolutely ensure that I can get a good shot on 90% of the animals that respond to my calling.

Personally I could care less about contest hunting. I'd like to take part in some contests just to hunt some different areas and to meet some of my fellow hunters but, I prefer the contests to stay well away from here.

Please focus your moral crusading efforts on your own state. As was already said, nobody wants an out of stater telling them how to live. It's one of the most arrogant things a person can do.

Some of this discussion brings up a few things that I have been thinking about. Lots of time to think when your average goes from 1 in 4 stands to 1 in 15 after the second round of contests. I've though about how hunting strategy would differ in a contest verses every day calling and how that is detrimental.

When I am hunting for myself (as in no $ or pride at stake), I take my time and choose stands carefully even if that means that I get less stands in for the day. I pass on sets that look great just because the wind isn't right even if there is a good chance that it would work out anyway. I do this to minimize the chances of educating coyotes in an area that I hunt often. I could always come back another day when the wind was right. Contest calling usually means pounding out stands, running back to the truck after each set; its a numbers game.

I pass on low percentage shots. If one hangs up I wait until he leaves and sneak back to the truck so I can try him again another day. If one is circling down wind at 500 yards I just let him wind me and leave as this is less education than putting a few bullets in the air to reinforce the lesson. Now if $ is on the line why not take the low percentage shots? I mean if its a 33% chance and you do it three times that practically guarantees another dog in the truck. Maybe you get lucky and hit it the first time. One more dog could be enough to put you 'in the money', right?

Then there is the length of time spent on stand. We all know that is frequently shorter for contest hunting; rightfully so as the 'sweet spot' is usually 3 to 8 minutes. How many coyotes watch from a distance as you walk back to the truck?

I'm not saying its bad, or that it should be banned, it's just the nature of the game. If the 'game' is played practically every weekend coyotes are going to be call shy over very large areas by December.

Oh and having some crusader Utard trying to ban anything in Wyoming would be enough to get me worked up and against it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: R.Shaw

It is posts like this that are ridiculous. First it is helicopters and now contest hunts. What a bunch of selfish,whining, cry babies.

Randy

+1

Wow, as a complete outsider to calling contest reading this is an absolute deja vu! If you've ever seen the redfish tournaments on espn its the same song different dance.
Recreational anglers & guides as well are up in arms over the attitudes the guys bring to the sport of redfishing. We out there doing the same thing but the whole ''we're out here in a contest or this is for money'', well guess what I don't give a ****!
What ever the event be, putting man vs man to compete in the outdoors is just a bad idea. It may only be one bad apple in the group but from my observation its usually several apples in the bunch. The chest beating, wanna be nascar sponsored up rig like they're some body. What gives, having to make it a competition is just some guy or group looking for attention.
I feel for you guys putting up with this. I'm lucky that I get to call on private property. I know exactly what your experiencing. Sorry for the soap box but that's just my .02.

I have been reading this fourm for about a year and have not posted to much. I like to sit back and learn. This is crazy today. I love hunting, you can find poss-neg for every type of hunt. I you love it you keep going even in bad years. If you don't you stop. Contest or not we can only control what we do. I find if I let myself get worked up over what everyone else is doing I waist alot of time. I'm going hunting now good luck everyone and Merry Christmas!

In my opinion if you want to know what is making our sport more difficult it is the quality of the electronic calls out there. I have always used hand calls and this weekend used a FoxPro for the first time, wow, it almost seems unfair. To be able to use a call that sounds that good and get the attention away from the caller. With calls of this quality there is no real learning curve as far as sounds. Yea you still need to learn how to set up to be successful, but you are going to call critters. In the past most people got frustrated and quit long before they became successful, with the equipment out there today this is no longer the case.

drscott

Wow this is crazy.First off most contests are held after eveything else closses.Wich means coyotes have been shot at from every direction.If you can go out and be successful jan,feb after all the pups are shot, then you will see how good you really are.Second of all it sounds like one or two bad seeds ruin it for everyone else not everyone acts that way.Third of all ive met some of my best friends at these events.Most of these calling events are to bring people together for a good time and help pay for the weekend.You are not going to quit your day job by winning these.If contest are really that big of a pain for you hunt durring the week.This is like saying there are to many deer hunters and i cant shoot a big buck no more.If you dont like contest dont enter them.They are all advertised so you know what weekends they are.

Ok guys I absolutely love hunting competitions. I also love hunting not in competitions. I hunt almost the exact same way. I was not born with much paitence, lol. So whether I am in a contest or just out on the weekend, I generally don't stay more than 10 minutes. If hunters aren't following their ethics during these contests as they hunt the rest of the time, then maybe they should take a harder look at their ethics. Hunting ethics should be the same no matter what. I do hustle a lot during the contests and maybe it's because I have a competitive streak in me. But to me it is fun. I love meeting the people and hunters that attend these contests. It allows me to see guys that I haven't seen all year, except when we all get together for these contests, and meet new guys.
I fully agree that there are getting to be a bunch of contests and it is putting a lot of people out there in the field, but in the same note there are getting to be a bunch of coyote hunters out there period. There does seem to be getting a bunch of educated coyotes out there these days.... but maybe it will make us better hunters. And I truely believe if you call in the coyote you need to kill it(I'm not near as good at this as I would like to be lol) and make sure your marksmanship is good enough to provide a humane and quick kill. It seems that at times we will take shots at a coyote that we wouldn't take at a deer or elk. why?
Everyone should do what makes them happy whether it's recreactional hunting, hunting and trapping for furs, or contests. Just show the coyote the respect and kill them quickly and humanely.
sorry about the long read and my ranting, just my .02.

Steve, I find it funny that you have a anti Obama signature but you sound just like him when you post. "I don't like this so I think we should make a law against it"
I know a lady in Wyoming that will try to help you ban contests her name is Andera Laccoa and she is the director of the Fund for animals. Then you can give the HSUS a call I'm sure they'll jump to help you to. Good luck with that and after your successful you can start on bear baiting, and trapping. Afterall Utah, Wyoming and Idaho still allow leg hold trapping and I think if your a trapper or a bear baiter it makes you look like a "Blood Thirsty Redneck"
As far as your ability not to call in coyotes I'll tell you that a good friend of mine killed 3 coyotes last weekend on public lands in Utah. He actually called in 4 but missed one so I'm sure hes not as good as you because thats only a 75% average. My point is people are still killing coyotes in Utah. Another friend of mine killed 6 in Wyo on saturday and I picked up 2 on a Sunday morning hunt. I called them in so I don't know what to think because I'm pretty sure there was a coyote hunt last weekend and according to you there just plain uncallable due to the pressure. Steve I understand that pressure makes this sport less enjoyable but its here to stay to you have to either adapt or take up golf. Golf can be more of an elitist sport anyway it might be right up your alley.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wyoyotebuster1Steve, I find it funny that you have a anti Obama signature but you sound just like him when you post. "I don't like this so I think we should make a law against it"
I know a lady in Wyoming that will try to help you ban contests her name is Andera Laccoa and she is the director of the Fund for animals. Then you can give the HSUS a call I'm sure they'll jump to help you to. Good luck with that and after your successful you can start on bear baiting, and trapping. Afterall Utah, Wyoming and Idaho still allow leg hold trapping and I think if your a trapper or a bear baiter it makes you look like a "Blood Thirsty Redneck"
As far as your ability not to call in coyotes I'll tell you that a good friend of mine killed 3 coyotes last weekend on public lands in Utah. He actually called in 4 but missed one so I'm sure hes not as good as you because thats only a 75% average. My point is people are still killing coyotes in Utah. Another friend of mine killed 6 in Wyo on saturday and I picked up 2 on a Sunday morning hunt. I called them in so I don't know what to think because I'm pretty sure there was a coyote hunt last weekend and according to you there just plain uncallable due to the pressure. Steve I understand that pressure makes this sport less enjoyable but its here to stay to you have to either adapt or take up golf. Golf can be more of an elitist sport anyway it might be right up your alley.

I guess we will just agree to disagree, however keep in mind it appears that my opinions are in the majority here. people are saying the same thing I am about the contest, maybe with not such harsh terms such as banning them, but the opinion is still the same.

another poster brought up the fact that contest hunters hunt differently, this is obvious. run and gun, sit on a stand for no more than 10 mins and basically cram every stand they can in, this just F's up an area, where is the recreational fun anymore, why should killing the animals be just about money. were is the sportsmanship anymore?? its gone.

no other animal has fascinated me as much as the good ole coyote, no other animal has made me pour money from my wallet for gear, diesel, and time away from my family than the coyote, honestly I could say pee on hunting big game animals and leave them for coyote food, when I big game hunt, I am always wondering where are the coyotes. coyotes are magical to me, they have somehow managed to get in front of me at times as if they teleported. I have a love an respect for the animal, as such they should be hunted by using the highest ethics and sportsmanship, contest hunting does not fit into this anywhere.

I enjoy hunting contests and I enjoy the challenge of taking coyotes after a contest has been in my area. So it gets a little tougher? Suck it up. Contests are not going anywhere. Anything that becomes popular will see competition and anything that has competition will have its detractors saying it "takes away from the spirt" or whatever of said sport. Like usual if you dont like it dont do it. I will see you guys in Rawlings, St. Francis, Belen, and anywhere I can find a gathering of like minded coyote hunting bretheren furthering my favorite sport in friendly competition

OK. Finally finished reading. I have read some very good points be everyone. Some of the flatlander coments I just have to ignore. They aren't the ones having contests in their backyard every weekend. For those of you who like/support the contests, I understand. I have won a few myself several years ago. My point, I am not against the contests. I just think we as sportsmen are supporting too many. I am not telling anyone not to enter. That is a decision we all have to make. I started this post just to hear opinions. I in no way, shape or form agree with the obama dude. After hunting these dogs for so long, I just question the ethics of some and wonder what direction our sport is headed.
I know that on any given weekend, there are more predator hunters out in the field. I understand there are more people getting into the sport. That is just a fact of life. For you contest folks, you can't tell me that we get the cream of the crop hunters in these things. I have heard some stories as I read earlier here as well, that pretty much reminds me why I can't compete!

Maybe I will start a contest to fill in the weekends that the davidsons and Rowdy dont have one. You all can talk ehtics and sport all you want. Mr. Dan Thompson has the ultimate of CALLING CONTESTS. You have to use mouth calls. So many times I hear I called in 6 coyotes in one day. I feel like saying no you didnt. You sat down pushed a button a few times on the call you paid anywhere from 4-700 dollars for and your call called in 6 coyotes. When I call in a coyote I know my technique had more to do with it than how much I paid for an Ecall. And yes some of the calls I made myself. Everyone wants to talk about the way they were raised. Well the way I was raised was the only good coyote is a dead one. One older fellow would tell me to gut shoot them so they can run off and suffer like his sheep and cows did when the great mystical coyote are eating on them while they were alive and left to die a slow death. This ought to really get everyone going, my favorite time to hunt coyotes is right after the pups are born. I will locate the den kill the adults then bash all of the pups on the head. I dont drink, I do four wheel because at times it is the only way to go, I do miss I AM NOT THAT GOOD,I do try and hunt competitions. None of it is for the money, it is to kill coyotes. I take one month off of killing coyotes that is big game season. I know that alot of good come out of the contests. Not only are there alot of dead coyotes but there is times money is donated to different things going on in the area. The way I count it is about 50-50 about the contests. And one going which ever way the majority is. He is the same person not to long ago had who knows how many posts about the world contest giving everybody a countdown like we dont know how to read a calender. Now that person is saying there are too many contests. Like being said dont enter them and if you are not form here and dont like what we are doing stay in your own state.

Dustballs, I like the main message behind your rant. I agree with you on so many levels. I was raised the same way. My grandfather was a large sheep rancher. But I have one question for you. Are you a RS native? Wait, a couple questions. If you are a RS native, have you noticed the decine in our hunting experience/opportunity. My biggest problem with the whole situation is I have three young boys. I am trying very hard to get them involved and into the sport but the quality is just no here anymore. And for the record, I do not use nor will I ever use an E-Call. Have plenty of home made and calls myself. Thanks for your time.

No I am not a RS native and dont live there. I am a Wyoming native with family in the RS area. I have noticed a decline. Now I am going to go out on a limb here and tell you about the guy I talked to when I was returning from the Flaming Gorge who had just landed his ultra light. He told me him and his brothers best year flying was like 975 coyotes out of the RS area. But lets all join the parade and blame it on contests. I too have two boys one is 7 and one is 2. They love to call coyotes. Want to talk about a chalenge calling all these educated coyotes with two little boys.

Regardless of the ramifications of coyote contests on hunting success. The perception of it to the 80% of the public that doesn't hunt but vote is adamantly against it. Their perception of a blood sport for competition is disgusting. It's not catching fish gentlemen it's killing animals. Even coyotes deserve respect. We are our own worst enemy at times. Have you fellas ever wondered why contests for the biggest bucks were made illegal. To much bad behavior. Head to head competition does bring out the worst in our kind.

Back