Tipped SMK's...!?

I would try to move to a slower powder. Varget, ar comp, rl15 or similar might give you better results. I think 8208 is on the fast side for 69gr'ers

Odd, 8208 is great for the 69 or 77 gain bullets in 223. I push the 77 Noslers with 23.6gr of 8208, and that's a pretty hot load.

Perhaps your rifle is over gassed? It must really be slinging them out for them to get dented that bad.

My go to load for the 75 AMAX in my WOA 26" is 23.5 gr. of IMR 8208 XBR. sscoyote can attest to the accuracy and lethality of that load combination. I'm curious about the 77 TSMaK, as both of my AR15 rifles absolutely LOVE the Black Hills 77 SMaK 5.56 fodder. I've modded a 20 round Magpul magazine by filing down the front and rear, to get a longer OAL. I'll post pics later.

Thanks all.
Red, you have a good point about over-gassed.
Gas port at rifle length, 20" barrel.
Do have an adjustable gas block that is worth swapping out.
I want to stay with 8208 if possible, already use it on 243 and 308.
May look for a less hot primer than WSR.
Also, I tend to clean & over lube the BCG rather than under lube it, fwiw..
Thanks again & will carry the (hot) STMK 69s on my next yote trip.
Worst case (pun intended), the AR chews up brass too fast.

On a related topic, my CZ527 didn't like the same STMK loads, sprayed them +3 inches,
probably inadequate twist rate 1:9, vs AR at 1:8..

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlThanks all.
Red, you have a good point about over-gassed.
Gas port at rifle length, 20" barrel.
Do have an adjustable gas block that is worth swapping out.
I want to stay with 8208 if possible, already use it on 243 and 308.
May look for a less hot primer than WSR.
Also, I tend to clean & over lube the BCG rather than under lube it, fwiw..
Thanks again & will carry the (hot) STMK 69s on my next yote trip.
Worst case (pun intended), the AR chews up brass too fast.

On a related topic, my CZ527 didn't like the same STMK loads, sprayed them +3 inches,
probably inadequate twist rate 1:9, vs AR at 1:8..

You might consider a SpringCo green buffer spring. It can tame some of the carrier velocity at the end of the stroke.

I prefer it for the added feeding reliability but it does need a little more gas than a standard rifle spring.

I like 8208 or Benchmark (essentially the same powder) for these types of loads and am using 24.5 of the Benchmark under the 69gr TMK. This is hotter than .223 Rem and a full power (1200 ft/lbs in a 16 inch barrel) 5.56 type load.

I got 500 of the 77gr headed my way.

I shot the 175 gr Tipped to 1000 today. Bolt gun running 2680 from 20 inch barrel it took 10.1 mils elevation. Seems they shoot well from my two rifles.
Here is my first group while checking the load at 100 about a week ago. 5 shots

8BAFD6E7-0C4E-4079-9D14-50FB0F1FB55D.jpg

Verifying all was well before some LR Shooting today. 3 shots
d002d8fb0706884998a961eb1cb18431.jpg

keep any and all info coming on these 69tmks. ive got a 20" lothar barrel on its way and im bankin on this being its bullet. we need a coyote damage report for short and long range shots!

Am I first??
grin.gif

69gr TMK at 300yds.

You can see the entrance next to the tail. She was quartering away and I should have put 1 MOA of wind on the shot.

No exit and DRT.

I suspect a broadside rib shot is going to exit but it sure did dump her for such a poor shot.
blush.gif

Congrats, first to post.. somebody said $500 for the 1st ! Nice pic too, tks.
it was a good shot, only the yote didn't like it..

Curious minds want to know (copy) your load.. was it 8208 / 24.5gr ? (or Benchmark?)

(And thanks for advice on case dings, making some progress on that.)

re: "500$ for the 1st TSMK'd 600 yd. dog." .. so yours should be worth at least $250 !!

Just got out to the range today to try em out. They real well, so I'm going to load more up tonight and try to go hunting tomorrow.

Did you mean 23.5gr of 8208? I was getting some noticeable pressure signs before I got to 24.5. Seemed like my best load is around 23.8gr. Just initial loadings though.

Last edited:
I had loaded some( 2.300 OAL for ASC mags) at 24.5 gr of Benchmark, which is basically the same powder as 8208.

That load is to hot and gave 2900 fps in 16 inches.

Loaded some more at 24 gr and will try and get them chronoed today.

This bullet shows a little more pressure than the Berger 70 VLD.

Edited to add more info.

I am shooting full 5.56 NATO level loads in my AR. Chamber is designed for such loads.

More chrono data below.

Last edited:
2900 out of a 16" barrel is pretty hot John

i was banking on getting 2850 out of my 20" barrel
im going to work up a load with varget in between 24.5-25.5

i have 8208 as well.... is 8208/benchmark known for more speed with 69s?

Last edited:
I couldn't even break 2800 fps out of a 20" with 75 hornady's the TSMK is a longer bullet I would think it would be even harder to get that speed much less out of a 16" barrel

Back