Tip on sighting in thermal sight

Kirsch,

I have no doubt that the foil will work. It just happens that my best backstop causes me to shoot to the east and into the morning sun. An afternoon shoot would likely yield a better result. My hunk of lead was already fixed on my target backer so rather than reset up the tin foil target.

I just kept reheating the lead every two or three shots fired until I was through shooting.

Next time I will try the foil target later in the day when the sun is directly shining on it. It will all work out I am sure.

Best regards and thank you

Three 44s

If you chew snuff, an empty snuff box makes a good target. Crush some ice,{do not fill it completely up}set it up off the ground, with a box or something behind it in case you miss, as to see your poi. Works well in warm days you get several shots. No big chunks of ice. Bullet impact will blow up snuff can.

Well, if I am down to “minute of snuff can” I think it’s time to go hunting!

Thank you old cat! I think that is another great idea.

Best regards

Three 44s

A few nights ago I managed to hit a sly coyote that has been harassing my stock dogs night after night. It ran up a swale it had been using for concealment but stopped in plain sight at 200 yds.

Between the Thor Thermal and an AR15 things are quieter around my house now.

Odd though, the most bold of the pair was the female. I would have guessed that the male would be more brazen. So the male I suspect is just now getting more bold but not drastically. It has been a week since I iced it’s mate. This now mateless male is making mighty scarce and fleeting appearances so it will take some patience to drop this one.

Three44s

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Three 44sA few nights ago I managed to hit a sly coyote that has been harassing my stock dogs night after night. It ran up a swale it had been using for concealment but stopped in plain sight at 200 yds.

Between the Thor Thermal and an AR15 things are quieter around my house now.

Odd though, the most bold of the pair was the female. I would have guessed that the male would be more brazen. So the male I suspect is just now getting more bold but not drastically. It has been a week since I iced it’s mate. This now mateless male is making mighty scarce and fleeting appearances so it will take some patience to drop this one.

Three44s

Glad you scored, hope you get the male.

Thanks old cat,

Actually I got two more but they have switched to day runnin’ now.

My wife and I were eating a nice Sunday breakfast a couple of weeks ago and the ranch dogs went ape. Looking out the French door I see a sly foot facing them down at 25 yds from our house. I make a mad dash to a day rifle and at the crack of the shot my Ruger American compact puts him in the air and 15 feet of blood trail ending in a dirt nap. The ranch dogs become Paul bearers as they drag him this way and that. I go back to break fast.

It was not five minutes and those ranch dogs are raising cob again! I look out and there is number two at about 60 yds challenging the dogs. I fly back to the Ruger and repeat my slinking across the deck in crouch mode using the railing for concealment. This coyote was not as easy about sticking around and was drifting away. I tried some noises to get a freeze up and broad side but this one was not buying it. So I took what had .... At the crack number two went straight up, came down spun and bit it’s pain and landed in a heap.

Then I set about finishing breakfast once more.

Best regards

Three44s

Back