Tikka vs Winchester M70

Originally Posted By: DAB action was rough as a cob

I dont know how many Tikkas ive owned at this point or threads ive read about Tikkas......what I do know, this is the first time ive heard anyone say that about a Tikka action.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: warpig602Originally Posted By: DAB action was rough as a cob

I dont know how many Tikkas ive owned at this point or threads ive read about Tikkas......what I do know, this is the first time ive heard anyone say that about a Tikka action.

YEP. I suppose there's a first time for everything, but I've never handled a Tikka that felt anything but fabulous.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: FurhunterJohn Wayne didn't tell Ben Johnson to break out the Tikka's in the movie Chisum did he?

James Pepper: What are you going to do?

John Simpson Chisum: What I had done twenty-five years ago. Pat, get the men out of South Camp. Trace, you round up everybody that can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters!

Just think what they could have done if they had Chevy pickups instead of horses.
wink.gif

While I am admittedly a "traditionalist" with some things, guns ain't one of them. Either it shoots good or it don't. And unless it's some sort of star-wars-looking POS I am really not enamored with looks when it's a hunting gun. The Tikkas I have owned will out shoot most Winchesters I have had. And that's a fact. They aren't as traditional looking, and they ain't as purty, but I've never heard an animal complain about the looks of the gun that you just shot them with .......

If they had used Chevys instead of horses that movie would have never seen the silver screen. It would have gone bankrupt halfway through production,the gov't would have stepped in and replaced John Wayne with Bozo the clown and the winchesters with Tikkas.

Depends if you want a detachable mag or a floorplate. Crf or push feed. Tikka will likely be more accurate but the fn wins are just as smooth as a tikka.

I prefer the Winchester Model 70's....they are the poster child for what a bolt action rifle should be. They are also something you can sit back and admire, a solid blued/wood gun that can shoot as well. CRF is something that I look for in bolt guns as well, with a model 70 you can feather the bolt and plop the brass right beside you on the bench or with a brisk authoritative stroke you can send the brass into the next time zone....dead reliable guns.

I personally think the originals are some of the greatest bolt guns ever made. A classic featherweight makes for a great hunting rifle that is lightweight and accurate.

Tikka just seems cheap to me I bought two of them from a buddy when he got divorced and sold them back to him when it was all said and done. But they would shoot extremely well. I own several model 70's one with old claw style extractor and one push feed they are super nice but the tikka out shot them both. I own a kimber model 84m and in my opinion that is the nicest smoothest production action money can buy and it would out shoot the two tikkas that I played with anyday of the week.

I certainly dont think my kimber 84m was anywhere near the smoothness of my Sako and certainly would not out shoot it. maybe match.
But it is well known that My Sauer rifle is renowned as the smoothest production rifle ever made, and they shoot extremely well.

OK, I have both. I have a Tikka M695, Laminate SS, in 25-06 Rem, a Tikka T-3, Synthetic blued, 223 Rem(1:12), and a Winchester M70 Weather Extreme(syn SS), in 300 WSM. The M70 is made by FN, in SC.

Yes Tikkas have smooth actions, and yes both of mine are nicely accurate for production rifles. The triggers are adjustable, and break clean, with very little travel. The M695 is basically a Sako, with a different name stamped in the barrel, and IIRC one lug less on the bolt head. Both of the Tikkas can turn sub-MOA groups, with handloads developed for them, and the trigger guy is on his game.

This new M70 has impressed me. The action is nice and smooth, the CRF is nice, the giant claw extractor is nice, the new trigger adjusts nicely, and the trigger breaks very cleanly, with very little perceivable travel. Now for the good news. This 300 WSM made me extremely happy, when the first new 130 gr. TTSX loads, being developed for an upcoming antelope/deer hunt, turned 3 sub-MOA groups, and one 1 MOA group. I was working on a 150 gr. TTSX load, for northern whitetails/bear, and was getting 1 MOA average groups, but still held out hope for a sub-MOA load. I switched to 130 gr. TTSX bullets, for WY, and got excited on the first development groups.
thumbup1.gif

So here is my take on the OP's question. If you want a classic American rifle, that has made a come back to the pre-64 M70 like rifle, from the budget push feed M70s, and you can stomach the price, then this is a great rifle. If you want an easily less expensive rifle, that will like be the equal of, or better than, the new M70, accuracy wise, then Tikka is your choice.

Squeeze

Since the OP specifically indicated big game I prefer the Winchester with CRF action. I own three mod 70s and there is just something about that action that makes for a great big game rifle. They always function which is the key. And any gun that will consistently shoot MOA will kill any deer/elk/antelope you would want to take. I have a 25-06 and a 7mm mag with the classic action and I couldn't be happier. I have heard great things about the Tikkas but never owned one. I think Jack O'Conner had it right from the start and he wasn't concerned with .5" groups any time he wrote of his sheep hunts. Granted we have come a long way in the shooting sports industry since he was alive so if you don't want to settle for less accuracy than that's fine. Buy the gun that fits you best and that is the gun that you will shoot the best.

I've owned 3 model 70's, an 80s vintage in 7mm REM, a Stealth in .308 from 2005 and last a Stainless Featherweight in .243 Win. The 80's vintage needed stockwork and shot great, the Stealth shoots like nothing I've seen and the Featherweight is good too.

Never owned a Tikka but wouldn't mind one. But the Winchesters are my choice. Never had a problem with any Winchester.

Maybe some day I will own a Tikka as long as a Winchester or Remington isn't available.

If you want a rifle that shoots good and you can be proud of, buy the Winchester. For me a tikka isn't much better than a savage and I would be embarrassed to own one.

Originally Posted By: jlh321Originally Posted By: bushyembarrassed to own a tikka?

ok bud.
Yes, Tikka is the cheap version of a Sako.

Seems more like a cheap description.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I certainly dont think my kimber 84m was anywhere near the smoothness of my Sako and certainly would not out shoot it. maybe match.
But it is well known that My Sauer rifle is renowned as the smoothest production rifle ever made, and they shoot extremely well.

Is this one of the new Sauer rifles?

Quote:Is this one of the new Sauer rifles?

No I have not tried any of the newest models yet. Mine is a Sig Sauer of which I bought two different calibers.

Originally Posted By: jlh321Originally Posted By: bushyembarrassed to own a tikka?

ok bud.
Yes, Tikka is the cheap version of a Sako.

I own a couple Finnlights and a few T3 Lites....the Sako's are not worth triple the money. Are they nicer, sure, but not 1k nicer. A cheaper version of a Ferrari, is still a Ferrari.

Having owned a T3 Lite and currently own a FN made M70 Extreme Weather I can say for certain I like the Winchester better. The T3 is accurate and probably will shoot a tighter group but to me the M70 feels and looks like a better built rifle.

Originally Posted By: VAhuntrHaving owned a T3 Lite and currently own a FN made M70 Extreme Weather I can say for certain I like the Winchester better. The T3 is accurate and probably will shoot a tighter group but to me the M70 feels and looks like a better built rifle.

I sure am glad USRAC has decided to have FN make a M70, bringing back the giant claw extractor, controlled round feed, and adding a decent trigger, and three position safety. The Extreme Weather model adds a pretty decent stock, and a stainless fluted barrel. About the only thing I don't like is the price, but if one wants a M70, reminiscent of the old M70s, albeit a touch of modernization, get out the check book.

I agree this M70 may not out shoot my Tikkas, but I sure look good shooting larger groups.
lol.gif

Squeeze

Back