thoughts on the 22-284

There is a fair bit of info out there if you look. I was told a 22-308 was about the last wildcat a moderator here would ever build. That's fair for his uses.
For my uses I love my 22-243Win.

Sounds like you want one, just build it.

^^^^^^What Displayed Name said.

Get one and you'll soon be the PM resident expert on the 22-284.
wink.gif
And others will be able to learn from your experience.

This whole build makes absolutely no sense to me. 22-284, but want to shoot light bullets...and then limit them to 4200fps?

Building might be fun, but tubes, reamers, and dies cost, no matter what your skills.

Hey, you only have to please yourself....

My fathers got a .22-284, the barrel life is so stupidly short that he never shoots it and loads so that it shoots about the same velocity as his .22-250, he did take a few fox with it but other than that it is a safe queen.

Its an awesome conversation piece and when you tell people about some of the Muzzle velocities one can get its awesome seeing the looks on their faces, most dont believe you though.

My dads gun started out as a .284 as well, he just didnt have a use for it seeing that he already had another one set up for big game. so he had the smith turn it into the .22-284, to this day he still pulls it out of the safe on occasion and says he wishes he would have left it alone.

Don't get me wrong but to chronos above 5000 is awesome. You are getting up there with hyper velocity bullets. But then your going to need tungsten or iron core bullets to fire out of it and I DON'T think these expand very well except maybe againt a tank hull. Shooting at these speeds atually starts pulling metal off the riflings in the barrel,but to each his own. If your gonna do it, don't download it. I know you can get 6500fps on it. Go for broke!!
thumbup.gif
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: coyotejunkieHello all I'm new to the forum and this may of already been brought up but I was kicking around the idea of building one for hunting song dogs I have and really enjoy shooting my 284 win and thought a 22-284 might be fun

Closest I've come is a 22-243. I was wanting to build a 22-250 Ackley, but my smith didn't have the reamer, but had the latter. It ran the 55 Nosler's at 4100 or the 40 BT's at 4600 in a 26" Hart 14 twist. My mistake was building a 14 pound gun, so I sent it down the road.

I have since put together a 22-250 Ackley with a 23" Rock 8 twist that runs the 75 A-Max at 3500 in a 7 3/4 pound package. To me, this is about the best compromise of performance and barrel life in a better all around rig.

002fhq.jpg

Build it and just use it for hunting.
If your worried about barrel life ,have the barrel Melonited and triple the barrel life.

Hal

Originally Posted By: Displayed Name That's a sharp looking unit alf
thumbup.gif

Yes thats very nice! what powder are you using?
I just built one this summer and haven't really had time to work with it yet.

To the OP Although I do not have any experiance with a 22-284 I do have a 6-284 and a 6.5-284 I have half as many rounds down the 6-284 than the 6.5 and the throat looks much worse on the 6, I can't believe the 22-243 won't do everything you want but if you want speed go for it heck I built a 22-250AI and a 20-250 just so I could run the 75gr Amax against the 55gr Berger

Originally Posted By: Rich44Originally Posted By: Displayed Name That's a sharp looking unit alf
thumbup.gif

Yes thats very nice! what powder are you using?

Thanks.....

H-4350 is the powder of choice.

Back