This just kills me

J.Mark

I watched Mogo outdoors with Byron South coyote calling.He shot several beautiful Montana coyotes al drt with no apparent fur damage. What just kills me is he doesn’t say a word about what caliber or load he’s using, Nothing at all. Am I the only one with a major interest in fur friendly info? Ive watched a lot of coyotes killed on tv were you see plenty of fur fly. Sometimes if your looking close you can see plenty of evidence of fur destruction but never any talk about bullets.I can understand if your sponsor is the bullet manufacture they would not want any negative info shown which is why you rarely see the opposite side of the predator. If I saw listed on the cover that the video had extensive information on bullet performance I would buy everyone I saw. As it is I rarely buy a hunting video. I just can’t believe that bullet performance isn’t a common topic.I sure would like to know what Byron was shooting those coyotes with. It looked very fur friendly and they just flopped dead.Not one word,did I say that just kills me.I think their missing the boat to a lot of new sales.

To the best that I can recall, "Coming To The Call" doesn't have any ammo company sponsoring. So they aren't going to give away free advertising, would be my guess.

Byron used to shoot a lot of 60 gr. V-Max from his .223 AR-15. He may have changed but that is what he was using not too long ago.

The Byron South edition r15 VTR's are 223...so that would be my guess. Probably uses remington ammo "free to him". If he uses other ammo he probably cant't say on video due to contract verbage. On Randy Anderson/Verminator videos they use alot of 243,243AI,and 6mmAI with what they say is 75-85g V-max. As you would expect there is alot more "flying fur" in those videos.

jeff

Byron isn't using the Remington rifle anymore. Last I saw of him in a Mojo show he was using a LaRue PredatAR setup.

Hunter Gatherer, Did you read that I use tv shows to plan my hunting? I don’t think so.I have a very good knowledge of fur friendly bullets and ballistics. This experience has been earned by 40 years of predator hunting. I happen to be a gun nut with an insatiable appetite for other peoples hard earned knowledge. My go to gun for DRT no exits on coyotes and bobcats is the 17 rem. I think the 17 center fires are the best, but I still have a desire to learn from other peoples experiences, and maybe find a new reason to pull out one of my other varmint rifles.

I talked to Shawn Heyden who hunts with Randy Anderson on his vidios.He was using a 243 Ackley improved shooting Remington 80 gr. psp.He said he rarley had an exit.In the vidio were he shoots 5 coyotes on one stand,all shot and filmed by himself,thats what he used.All 5 of those coyotes had no fur damage.If youve never seen that hunt, its worth the price of the vidio.A quintuple,pretty rare.

Originally Posted By: J.MarkI talked to Shawn Heyden who hunts with Randy Anderson on his vidios.He was using a 243 Ackley improved shooting Remington 80 gr. psp.He said he rarley had an exit.In the vidio were he shoots 5 coyotes on one stand,all shot and filmed by himself,thats what he used.All 5 of those coyotes had no fur damage.If youve never seen that hunt, its worth the price of the vidio.A quintuple,pretty rare.

I have watched that DVD many a time. In fact I usually watch one of the Calling All Coyote DVD's every Tuesday night when the wife is off for her Women's Bible study
thumbup.gif

I have met Rand Anderson and talked with him. He is one heck of a nice guy willing to tell you all he knows if you got the time.

As Randy has said in several of his videos the .243 is his favorite weapon of choice for yotes.

I use a .243Win. ( Winchester Feather weight) and not because Randy Anderson does, My RRA PP in .223 Rem.is to dang heavy and so is my old Ruger Varminter in 22-250.

AS far as Bryan South goes , he is already gone south. I have two of his DVDs and am not a fan of his I will watch his DVDs when I am bored to death.
Bryan Himself is a great guy but his DVDs in my opinion sort of suck.

OLd Rick of the Vermanators are another of my favorite DVDs.

Last edited:
I watched Fur Takers a few times but not anymore. I can't recall the guys name but he uses an AR and is a lousy shot, shooting alot of animals running. Having several rounds available is no reason to just spray. I've killed tons of Coyotes, Fox but I don't take running shots unless the first hit was bad and that is rare. Taking an initial running shot lends to bad hits and wasted fur. I see alot of rear end hits, not good. You know this when the camera only shows the head of the critter. Alot of times the animals are cleaned up before filming. The Alaska wolf episode was also suspect to me. Just didn't look right.

We had a guide up here busted a few years back who was shooting cow moose and leaving them lay and bringing Braown ear hunters to the kill sites.

Make the first shot count, if they haul butt away, leave them for another day. We already get enough publicity. These shows are all about numbers, sad.

Originally Posted By: GCByron used to shoot a lot of 60 gr. V-Max from his .223 AR-15. He may have changed but that is what he was using not too long ago.

This is what I recall too. I bought some for this reason, but never got around to trying them before going 17cal. One good thing about the forums and even Facebook, most of those guys are on there somewhere. You can just ask them. Most are pretty cool and will tell you what they use. I recommend PM's when you do it. As mentioned, some have sponsorships that might conflict with what they tell you

i have shot around a 1000,with a 22-250 52.gr.hpbt.,they were okay but another 800 shot with 17.rem and 25.gr bergers were great.not much sewing thread needed

Dito on Byron South vidio. I bought one wont buy another.I have a stack of Randy Anderson vidios and he is just fun to watch.I rarley buy vidios anymore,bbut if I do its one of Randy's.Dito on the 17 to,Just a great fur gun with the right bullet,berger 25 gr. match being my choice.

Originally Posted By: J.MarkI talked to Shawn Heyden who hunts with Randy Anderson on his vidios.He was using a 243 Ackley improved shooting Remington 80 gr. psp.He said he rarley had an exit.In the vidio were he shoots 5 coyotes on one stand,all shot and filmed by himself,thats what he used.All 5 of those coyotes had no fur damage.If youve never seen that hunt, its worth the price of the vidio.A quintuple,pretty rare.

I've only watched 7 or 8 videos but Shawn's self filmed 5 coyotes is my favorite.

Back