This is a big deal, folks.

we hardly ever wear camo. i think people worry too much about stuff like this and being scent free ect. ect......

i think when people blame not seeing coyotes because of things like this is just an excuse to themselves for not being able to kill coyotes. 99% of the time people dont kill coyotes because they either arent in an area with coyotes, or they are overcalled, or they are just not very good at calling them.

myself, i use sportwash cuz i dont like smelling like fresh lavender.lol.

i have literally killed coyotes while hunting buck naked! dont believe me, just ask around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jglynn
i have literally killed coyotes while hunting buck naked!

TMI
blush.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jglynn
99% of the time people dont kill coyotes because they either arent in an area with coyotes

99% is probably an underestimate. I'd say 99.99% is more like it.

Most camo on the market is designed to sell to humans that like the looks of it. Really most camo doesn't really work to disguise you, as it looks like a dark blend from even a short distance away. And I've only found a couple of vague patterns that work here out west in the winter. I usually wear olive green or brown Carhart pants and a digital tan camo parka and dry grass colored buff over my face. Real Tree, or Mossy Oak doesn't match anything in Newer Mexico, not even the oak trees here.

I've questioned something along these lines recently. Noticed a couple years back that when some of my game cams caught my picture at night, certain clothes would be pure white. Other clothes would show up normal. Also noticed that on my son's video monitor with IR camera and LED's (pure "black"), many of his clothes would show up pure white also, even stuff that was dark blue, striped, have embroidered patterns, etc etc.

BUT...

Consider this. Block the photoemitters (lamps) of a game cam or a video monitor and it doesn't pick anything up. All makes sense, right? Seeing something in color is a 3 step process: 1) photoemission from a source, 2) reflection of a given wavelength (color) off of an object, and 3) that light has to be strong enough to reach the photoreceiver, the eye. On earth, outdoors in the woods at least, the photoemitter is the sun and stars, with the sun dominating (and the moon simply being light reflected from the sun). When the sun goes down, the visible light spectrum wanes, and at the same time, the IR and UV spectra will also fade (collapsing line of sight for light and reducing refractive light). So step 1 is fading/going away. That means step 2 will be impeded since there won't be much light to be reflected, and step 3 will be further impeded since there's less light to reach the eye.

Also consider that the eye is made up of rods and cones. Cones receive color, rods differentiate shades of gray. When light is low, cones switch off and rods take over. For example: in the dark, you can see the outline of a truck, but you can't tell if it's green, black, brown, red, etc. It's just dark. Same thing will happen to animals.

So like Venatic pointed out about blacklights, just like the IR cameras failing to pick up IR signature when an IR source isn't present, I'm not prone to believe that there's any reason to believe UV sensitive cameras, i.e. cat and dog eyes, won't pick up any UV signature if there isn't a UV spectrum present. Directly parallel, we see intra IR-UV light, if there isn't a light source, we can't see anything. I've played a bit with this and dark colored "near IR" color clothing and cattle, horses, goats, mules around the farm (which supposedly have IR vision beyond that of humans). In the dark or near dark, I can't tell any significant difference in them picking me up any different in clothing with high IR signature than any other clothes.

So I'm sure it doesn't hurt in the least, but I'm doubtful enough in the theory that I won't go very far out of my way to use detergent without brighteners. They're out there, but if I can't find the one I want (forget what we use, just know what the bottle looks like), I don't sweat using something else.

I have the stringy ghille type jacket from allpredators.com that I have never worn because of the ultra violet light it throws off under a black light. After this thread I wore the thing yesterday, sitting in a bag chair on the edge of a food plot, almost in plain view. In the gray dawn light I missed a coyote at 40 yards, standing broadside, with a shotgun...so kill me, but he never saw me. A bobcat came out about 3 minutes later and he stayed within 25 yards of me for 30 minutes and never freaked. He saw me squirm around, change sounds, etc, but he never left the caller until I just got up to move somewhere else. This jacket absolutely glows under black light but it did not scare the critters.
Now for a shotgun sight or back to the rifle.

One of the predator hunting magazines did a three magazine artical on this a few years ago, but i can't remember who it was. Someone will probably remember and say who.

Sportwash here as well, don't know if it really works though since i haven't seen a blacklight for 30+ years.

I am pretty sure that brighteners in detergents have not always been in there.. Even if we glow, sitting still and no movement is essential. The animal will determine what he will do with the information he is recieving at the time.

Every little thing we do will matter. Terrains where coyotes live are different as day and night. Sitting in shadows and glowing will cause any animal to notice you. Move and they turn inside out. Not glowing, I can tell you for a fact, you can get away with some movement such as shifting your line of aim etc (at least here)..

I hunt thicker areas where there is shadow even during the high noon sunshine due to canopy cover. For you desert guys, canopy is from trees lol.. In this type of terrain, there is more movement from leaves, limbs and such blowing around, birds fluttering etc.. = movement..

I use the same camo that I used for deer hunting and since it was uv treated and sport washed, it seemed to work.. I bougtht new camo and since it didn't glow from the store I didn't uv treat it. Hmm it still wrked. I do however use a non uv dye detergent. Always hagve as I am allergic to the uv brightener dyes. Took the doctor along time to figure that one out...

Scent cover or eliminator?? Why not? what would alarm you more, a skunk scent that seemed like he was there yesterday or the same scent that makes you gag and puke? Just sayin'

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyI've called in and killed coyotes with a shotgun just after work on the ride home while wearing khakis and white polo shirt ....and smelling like lavender.

Chupa

So much for the mythical "educated coyote"...

Originally Posted By: KizmoOriginally Posted By: ChupathingyI've called in and killed coyotes with a shotgun just after work on the ride home while wearing khakis and white polo shirt ....and smelling like lavender.

Chupa

So much for the mythical "educated coyote"...

Much of this stuff that coyote hunters, especially so new coyote hunters, obsess over isn't really that big of a deal.

I've shot turkeys and deer, and a coyote wearing nothing more than a green button um shirt and a blue genes.... play the wind and stay still, its amazing what you can get away with... Though I've never hunted smelling like Lavender.... I'm not as cool as Chupa
frown.gif

Look at my profile picture... Thats what I was wearing when I shot that coyote...

Back