Things you see and make you wonder.....

Me, too, Willy.....in salt water.
scared.gif
Luckily there were two ramps at that marina or I'd probably still be waiting to pull out.
smile.gif

ETA: My FIL bought an 18' molded mahogany Kris Kraft boat which had a full blown 1953 Merc. V8 engine from a mechanic friend. The friend and his wife used to fish together and pulled the boat with a passenger car. Their system of pulling boat out was her driving car and him driving boat up on trailer, then, as the bow eased into the winch post he would gun it, helping push as she drove on out because the wet ramp was slick & she could not get sufficient traction to handle the heavy rig.

Well, he reversed the throttle on his boat one day and the next trip out, just as he got near the winch post, he "throttled back" to ease in, but having forgoten that he had revised throttle actually went to full throttle. Poked a 1' hole in the bow and decided to give up fishing.

Regards,
hm

Here in Oklahoma its not unusual to see a $500 truck pulling a $30,000 fishing boat. Years ago, when I fished,there was one place I fished that had an extremely steep and long ramp. A guy in one of these rigs I described was trying to pull his boat out of the water and I guess his clutch went out. Truck, trailer and boat all ended up in the water. It was only funny to all of us watching. I'm sure the boat and truck owner failed to see the humor in it. At least that day.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: msincThe gun range is almost as much fun and entertainment as a public boat ramp.

Oh, there is really nothing that compares to the entertainment of watching events unfold at a busy boat ramp, especially, if it's on a busy holiday weekend.
thumbup.gif

I was at a boat ramp in CA one time where people had lawn chairs set up like grand stands and would hold up cards numbered 1-10 after each launch. They were having a big time.

Originally Posted By: msincThe gun range is almost as much fun and entertainment as a public boat ramp.

This on Memorial Day weekend with first time boat owners. Get a 12 pack and take in the entertainment. People backing up their trailers and cars on the dock, couples fighting, you name it. Two stories i'll never forget...

A couple and their dog get back dog is tied to the nearest tree to do it's thing. MEanwhile he's hanging onto the boat at the dock as his wife is backing the trailer down, (doing as well as you would expect). I'm sure she backing the trailer down because he was a few pops in (it was quite obvious). Of course he's yelling at her cuz she can't back the trailer up, she's yelling back...10 min later they get the boat hooked up and take off. I see them return about 45 min later....to get their pup they forgot they tied to the tree....

Different day...at this launch, the parking lot is over 1/4 from the launch, so there is a shuttle that takes you back and forth when you park. Two guys launch the boat, moor it and the one gut gets their gear ready while his buddy parks the truck. A few minutes later, I look over and the guy is bailing water as fast as he can with a tiny bucket. Keep in mind, his buddy with the truck hasn't even been shuttled back yet. By the time the shuttle arrives with the guy, get's shuttled back to the truck, comes back with the trailer, there is about 6" of transom left above the water....I'm sure those guys won't forget to put the plug in again.

Back