These coyotes wont stay down!

Njboehm

Hey guys id like to hear your thoughts on something. The last few nights i've been getting into some coyotes with my new setup. Im shooting a 6ARC with a 16in barrel and im using 80 Gr ELD-VT. Every shot so far they instantly lock up, back legs drop and they tip over stiff but about half have gotten back up 10-30 seconds later... they dont go far but im having to put another round in them when i thought they were stone dead. Ive got some 58 gr VMAX coming tomorrow that im gonna give a try. Think its shot placement? Here are some screenshots right before the shot, ill see if i can figure out how to upload the videos.
IMG_2430.PNG
IMG_2429.PNG

You may be hitting just a bit too far back. The 2nd shot looked like the rifle might have shifted a bit right just as the shot broke.
COYOTES MAKING THE RIGHT SHOT

1710908696619.jpeg

Congrats on the coyotes .
Changing bullets on a sample of 2 coyotes ?
Looked like 2 dead ones with the first shot. I wouldn't have shot at either one a second time.

Congrats on the coyotes .
Changing bullets on a sample of 2 coyotes ?
Looked like 2 dead ones with the first shot. I wouldn't have shot at either one a second time.
Thanks! These are just the only two I’ve got videos of, it’s happened probably 5 times in the past couple weeks. But yes that’s what I’m saying, they look like dead coyotes but the first video I walk up to the coyote after another 10 minutes of calling and he’s got his head up just watching me walk up to him, had to finish him off which is never a good feeling… That’s what’s I’m finding weird, they don’t spin or run off they drop like they’re dead right there but then get back up.

I’ve had an 87grn v-max splash on the shoulder of coyotes before and watched them drop like a stone, then get up and run off with that leg windmilling. That could be what’s happening for you. It’s hard to tell but it looks like those are shoulder shots.

hitting them to far back, been there done it, seen it by buddies to many times... Its frustrating for sure, but comes down to shooting them further front..

I have been trying to aim center of shoulder, you hit them there they are usually DRT

I’ve had an 87grn v-max splash on the shoulder of coyotes before and watched them drop like a stone, then get up and run off with that leg windmilling. That could be what’s happening for you. It’s hard to tell but it looks like those are shoulder shots.

6mm .243 80 gr ELD-VT™​

Item #24372 | 100/Box
Bring trophies home and send varmints packing with the new ELD-VT™ bullet from Hornady. Incorporating years of ballistic research, ELD-VT™ pairs the aerodynamics of a low-drag match bullet with the light weight and high velocity of a varmint bullet. With its unmatched accuracy and explosive fragmentation, ELD-VT™ picks up trophies as fast as it drops varmints!
The Hornady ELD-VT™ bullet is here to redefine your varmint hunting and shooting pursuits, offering unmatched accuracy, rapid fragmentation, and the confidence to take on any challenge– from long-range varmint hunts to long-range competitions.

Find a Retailer

1410998785-1694032583-24372-6mm--243-80gr-ELD-VT---PNG-file.jpg

Maybe combination of both. What did the entrance look like; was there an exit? If no exit on the broadside shot, I'd try NBT's.

Yeah no exits, I think what tugboater said is what’s happening. They are hitting hard but not getting to the vitals because I’m hitting that shoulder bone. I just gotta move that shot back. Not blaming the bullet, they have been grouping great and the fur damage has been minimal. I would recommend them, I’m just curious how those 58 gr vmax will work. I’ll get some velocities between the two tonight and report back!

Yeah no exits, I think what tugboater said is what’s happening. They are hitting hard but not getting to the vitals because I’m hitting that shoulder bone. I just gotta move that shot back. Not blaming the bullet, they have been grouping great and the fur damage has been minimal. I would recommend them, I’m just curious how those 58 gr vmax will work. I’ll get some velocities between the two tonight and report back!
I could be traveling so fast that when it hits bone it just splashes.

I wish you good luck!

Personal opinion. This bullet "splash" theory is nonsense. A coyotes shoulder is just not that big or tough. At least if we are talking a broadside shot. Yes you can hit at funny angles and get some odd results, but on broadside shots you may not get an exit, but you're going to demolish that shoulder and turn all that bone into fragments and send even more bits and pieces into the vitals.

Thanks! These are just the only two I’ve got videos of, it’s happened probably 5 times in the past couple weeks. But yes that’s what I’m saying, they look like dead coyotes but the first video I walk up to the coyote after another 10 minutes of calling and he’s got his head up just watching me walk up to him, had to finish him off which is never a good feeling… That’s what’s I’m finding weird, they don’t spin or run off they drop like they’re dead right there but then get back up.
Thanks for the extra info, I understand now.

Good luck !

Personal opinion. This bullet "splash" theory is nonsense. A coyotes shoulder is just not that big or tough. At least if we are talking a broadside shot. Yes you can hit at funny angles and get some odd results, but on broadside shots you may not get an exit, but you're going to demolish that shoulder and turn all that bone into fragments and send even more bits and pieces into the vitals.
Depends on the bullet weight and caliber I guess. I've seen 17 and 223 bullets splash on a broadside shoulder bone hit. The coyotes had to be tracked down and shot again. Have not had this happen with 243 size bullets ,however.

Cal Taylor—l have shot no ways near the coyotes as you but agree 100%.
Case in point-several yrs ago l shoot one of my early kills at 70-80yds with 22.250 50g vmax broadside. It is on the crest of a roll in the ground and runs out of sight. This is at night with lights. I find it in tall weeds about 30yds away with a 12 inch gash running from behind the shoulder to its hip.
Only way for that “splash” to get there was for it to be turning to run as l hit the trigger—at least in my pea brain.
All ribs were blown apart and the gash continued through the flank muscle.

Hmm. Bullet construction is a big factor from rabbits to moose.
Splash is REAL!! When Barnes came out with .22 cal Varmint grenades, I bought some and loaded them for my .222 and .22_250. Unreal horrible results on called in standing straight on frontal and broadside shots. And I mean like HORRIBLE!.
Can't think of any guides that recommend a V_Max for grizz,moose,elk,deer?

Can't really see what the OP posted very well but I've shot 100s with a puny .17 cal.and don't recall a single one that has folded (dead) and got up later and wandered off?

Hmm. Bullet construction is a big factor from rabbits to moose.
Splash is REAL!! When Barnes came out with .22 cal Varmint grenades, I bought some and loaded them for my .222 and .22_250. Unreal horrible results on called in standing straight on frontal and broadside shots. And I mean like HORRIBLE!.
Can't think of any guides that recommend a V_Max for grizz,moose,elk,deer?

Can't really see what the OP posted very well but I've shot 100s with a puny .17 cal.and don't recall a single one that has folded (dead) and got up later and wandered off?

I've only ever had that happen with a deer. I shot a nice 8pt at around 100 yards with a 243 federal trophy copper. the buck fell and laid there for about 30 seconds so I laid the rifle down. Next thing I know the buck rolled over and took off. Never seen it again. No blood, just a bone fragment.

I'm not saying that a .204 with a 32 grain VMax will penetrate a moose shoulder, but a coyote is less than 5 inches through the shoulders. That's both shoulders side to side. The near shoulder is under less than an inch of hide and muscle. I can't fathom and have never seen a bullet-cartridge combination that wouldn't completely destroy that shoulder and turn it to shrapnel if hit squarely. But if you add in some odd angles and bad hits, you'll have some coyotes do strange things. We've all seen it.

That's why I'm a firm believer in use enough gun and no such thing as overkill...

Hunting coyotes rarely gives you perfect scenarios. If you use a big enough rifle and the right bullet for the job, 99% of the time you don't have any issues, even with a less than ideal placed shot.

That's why the 243/6 creed/240 wby/25-06 with middle to heavy weight plastic tipped bullets are my favorite dog calibers and rounds. Even with a bad hit, which happens eventually if you shoot enough dogs, they aren't usually making it to far. I don't know how many dogs I've gut shot or Texas heart shot with the above combos and they've rarely ever made it past 50-75 yards, and most times they still drop dead. Unlike with say a 223, they'll make it to the next county over...been there done that.

Back