Thermion XP50 vs XL50 comparison? Looking for input.

case-nh

Anyone been able to compare the 2? Either had the XP and went to the XL or been able to look through both. Looking for input.

The Thermion XL50 LRF is definitely a better image than the Thermion XP50 LRF. Below is a video comparing the Thermion XL50 LRF to the NVision Halo XRF. The only negative in my opinion of the XL50 is the low base magnification. It’s much better suited for hog hunting than coyote hunting.

IMO Pulsar made the same mistake Iray did with their 1280, they made the base mag way to low fir coyote hunters in the new XL.

Between those two I'd definitely go XP

IMO Pulsar made the same mistake Iray did with their 1280, they made the base mag way to low fir coyote hunters in the new XL.

Between those two I'd definitely go XP
Kino,
For those of us less educated on thermals, would you explain why the base mag is important and why a higher number is better?
Thank you
Soup

Kino,
For those of us less educated on thermals, would you explain why the base mag is important and why a higher number is better?
Thank you
Soup

So with thermals, they don't have conventional optical zoom like a day scope, they use digital zoom. The more you zoom, the more pixelated the image gets, getting worse and worse. That happens pretty dang fast, on a 640 resolution it degrades drastically after 2x, on a 384 it's drastically every time you push the zoom button. The reason higher resolution looks better is because it has many times more pixels to zoom in on, easiest way to think of it is the higher resolution means higher detail.

When it comes to base mag, most thermals made range between 2x and 4.5x (a few are a littlemore or less), that's the bulk of the market. There is a pretty drastic difference between say a 2x versus 3.5x base mag. 2x and under has a wider FOV but 16x on the top end. If you have a 3x scope you have usually 24x on the top end but still have a smaller FOV.

Most coyote hunters that hunt the typical open terrain needs the magnification to make longer shots and to see coyotes at greater distance. The 3x - 4.5x is the best choice. For hog or coyote hunters that shoot at close distance because of tight terrain need a giant FOV and that's where the 2x base mag shines.

One thing to remember is marketing shenanigans. Anytime a new "best" thermal hits the market, you'll see videos from it almost exclusively at base mag, shooting animals at close range. That's marketing bullshit because EVERY single thermal degrades with zoom. 18k Iray, 12k Eotech, 10k Nvision, 10k Trijicon, 8k Pulsar, ALL OF THEM look like shit at maximum magnification. The flip side is in good thermal conditions, they all look pretty decent at base mag so point being, don't go by video footage alone to make a purchasing decision.

It is easier for me to make longer shots with my Halo xrf. than with my 4x base mag Iray. Reason being better image & finer cross hair. Halo is the best I have ever shot thru. Just my opinion & it is not going to change. Thanks Kino for the explanation.

So with thermals, they don't have conventional optical zoom like a day scope, they use digital zoom. The more you zoom, the more pixelated the image gets, getting worse and worse. That happens pretty dang fast, on a 640 resolution it degrades drastically after 2x, on a 384 it's drastically every time you push the zoom button. The reason higher resolution looks better is because it has many times more pixels to zoom in on, easiest way to think of it is the higher resolution means higher detail.

When it comes to base mag, most thermals made range between 2x and 4.5x (a few are a littlemore or less), that's the bulk of the market. There is a pretty drastic difference between say a 2x versus 3.5x base mag. 2x and under has a wider FOV but 16x on the top end. If you have a 3x scope you have usually 24x on the top end but still have a smaller FOV.

Most coyote hunters that hunt the typical open terrain needs the magnification to make longer shots and to see coyotes at greater distance. The 3x - 4.5x is the best choice. For hog or coyote hunters that shoot at close distance because of tight terrain need a giant FOV and that's where the 2x base mag shines.

One thing to remember is marketing shenanigans. Anytime a new "best" thermal hits the market, you'll see videos from it almost exclusively at base mag, shooting animals at close range. That's marketing bullshit because EVERY single thermal degrades with zoom. 18k Iray, 12k Eotech, 10k Nvision, 10k Trijicon, 8k Pulsar, ALL OF THEM look like shit at maximum magnification. The flip side is in good thermal conditions, they all look pretty decent at base mag so point being, don't go by video footage alone to make a purchasing decision.
Kino,
Once again I thank you for sharing knowledge and doing it in layman's terms!!
Soup

With technology consistently changing, it won't be long that majority of thermals will have a two lens system
(like the AGM Clarion) that you will be able to change base mag from 2x to 4x before using digital zoom.

Last edited:
I actually would argue the opposite. I prefer the big fov given I shoot with pip at max magnification. With the big fov I can keep track of multiple coyotes to time doubles etc. Imo I think that is the whole advantage of the better cores. You can have a lower the base mag and not loose 2/3 of the view while still having enough clarity to shoot with a zoomed in pip.

I like 3x base magnification with pip for coyote hunting and I don’t feel like it’s too much base magnification when shooting pigs a little closer. And when the pigs start running I feel like I can get better shot placement with a larger image on base magnification. Sometimes the 2x or less seems too small for my liking but everyone has their own preferences. Below is a comparison between my buddy’s Pulsar XP50 Pro LRF and my XG50 LRF.
88C7689C-0365-4436-AF4D-9BD9B62D64E3.jpeg

92DE0565-AA45-47C9-A062-9160FE581193.jpeg

I'm right there with you .223. That's been my opinion since the original Trails. And Illini fan, your friend should have had his PIP at 16x for comparison and not 8X. When you compare how much FOV you lose between the 2 I think it's quite dramatic when you lose everything to the left of that bush and almost everything to the right of that skinny bright white tree trunk in the back. I think if you measure it's over 1/3 of the FOV lost. Thanks for the comparison pics though.

One thing that's important to note is to my knowledge, Pulsar was the only thermal manufacturer that allowed you to adjust PIP magnification, everyone else was fixed at twice the base mag. I don't know if that's still the same but being able to adjust it is an amazing and useful option that should be on all scopes.

I forget about that sometimes and exactly right. When you step up your PIP magnification you step up your base mag. also losing FOV as you go. Not sure also if any other manufacturer has been able to accomplish this or implement it but for me it's very important in tracking and finding multiples before and after the shot.

With the Pulsars you can also use the left dial to adjust in 0.1 magnification increments immediately after you activate the magnification button on the back. I don’t use that feature but you could set your pip or base, but not both, to 10.3 for example, or whatever you want instead of the automatic increments you get when you cycle through magnifications. It’s kinda neat if needed or desired. I think I saw someone do that on a YouTube video and I didn’t realize that was possible.

Recently I have been using that feature to get my PIP to 15 or 16x instead of 12x and believe that I will keep doing it. I tried to go all the way to 24x but did not like that, as "close comers" filled the pip screen.
Kino was the one who told me that I could change the PIP mag while still having the base at 3-this to me is a GREAT feature.

I have the Pulsar Thermion 2 XG50 LRF scope and im really liking it!

The 3x is what i wanted for coyotes!

2x is not enough for me. I used a 4x Base Iray for a few years that worked well.

Alot of coyotes i shoot in the 250-290 yard range and need the little higher base mag my opinion.

I have my new scope on my Rem 700 22-204 and so far the ballistic calculator has been spot on with my rifle dope or click chart should i say.

Pulsar makes some of the Best Products for us Night Hunters!

Im really happy with my choices of Pulsar Telos XP50 Scanner and Pulsar Thermion 2 XG50 LRF scope to chase after these Virginia Mountain Coyotes!

Next 3 pics are from my scope one night!

Last edited:
Back