Thermal Units Competing with FLIR?

Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: doublecheeseNow Lets get back to the subject guys.

This thread has veered WAY off course. How about a regroup guys?

Those of us that are fortunate enough to own and evaluate some of this gear can be a big help to the ones that are looking to purchase. ALL of us were in that boat at one time or another so if we just keep it to the subject then it will be of some use.

Exactly, let's get back to our main subject guys. No need to break hearts here.

Anyway I tried to take some pictures of the viewfinder of the LS-XR but it is really a hassle to align the camera with the viewfinder. It looks it is impossible unless I get an adapter or something.

Currently I took my 8 year old daughter to tennis lesson and will shoot some videos with the LS-XR soon.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupGman, apparently (according to the newbies here) we are only supposed to discuss anything that is not made by FLIR, since they have been the premiere supplier of thermal hardware products to our military and civilian agencies for too long now and I own some of their products?

We should only discuss what is not made by FLIR and the possible new not made by FLIR thermal instruments that will be made sometime in the future?

I'll go back to reviewing my new LS-XR, M-18, and other FLIR gear in other threads since they are off limits here.

Hey, Sky Pup, ever heard of IBM?

Regarding your use of your gear, it's great that you have figured out a way to unite your vocation and avocation, and I can see that your requirement for your gear is well beyond the more typical hunter, whose pursuit is more hobby or pastime, for fun, like me or maybe dh223 or doublecheese or pretty much everyone else. I read between the lines and it seems you have figured out a way to make the purchase of your gear either a deductible expense or a capital expense for which you can deduct depreciation. Got me thinking, I have a viable avenue for similar tax treatment. What depreciation period do you use. I suspect I could justify 3yrs; with technology moving as fast as it is, perhaps even two years.

JPK

Originally Posted By: SkyPupGman, apparently (according to the newbies here) we are only supposed to discuss anything that is not made by FLIR, since they have been the premiere supplier of thermal hardware products to our military and civilian agencies for too long now and I own some of their products?

It's all good Skypup. FLIR is top notch equipment and you no doubt have the BIGGEST toy box full of high quality mil spec gear.

Thermal equipment is taking off now and the prices and competition warrant careful evaluation by future buyers. FLIR can be purchased without reservation regarding quality, warranty, and CS support. It will take time for the newer companies entering the thermal marketplace to establish their niche when it comes product quality and performance.

I own FLIR and now I own IR Defense. I am open to whatever product gives me the features I am looking for reliably. I think it's best to keep an open mind and if you want to take a chance on a new product then go for it. I have no horse in this race other than taking my time to try to post some type of comparison for the others here and help them think about how the unit will work for them in the field.

Last edited:
Yes, I've also heard of Kodak....

You'll have to talk to your tax accountant about the cost allocation of your capital equipment purchases, but straight line depreciation works the easiest.

I do not purchase a capital item, like a FLIR thermal or tractor unless I plan on keeping it a MINIMUM of ten years.

With other unknown brands being touted here in this thread, with no long term reliability performance data, you can probably depreciate them in 2-3 years.

But, Uncle Sam is watching you with a FLIR THERMAL EYE!!!!
smile.gif

Uh,oh Gman. You have referred to Sky Pups FLIR units as toys, OH NO!

He was very, very clear and very, very, adamant that they are not toys, but tools in his very strenuous land management practice on Nature Conservancy Trusts and easement lands, thousands of acres!!!

Moreover, they are tools he utilizes State Parks, Department of Natural Resources, State Fish and Wildlife Officers, Sheriff Departments, and other public entities on tens of thousands of acres of endangered land!

Sky Pup, a ten year schedule is WAY to long. A friggin truck with a 5yr, 100k mile warranty can be depreciated over a three year period.

JPK

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JPKUh,oh Gman. You have referred to Sky Pups FLIR units as toys, OH NO!

He was very, very clear and very, very, adamant that they are not toys, but tools in his very strenuous land management practice on Nature Conservancy Trusts and easement lands, thousands of acres!!!

Moreover, they are tools he utilizes State Parks, Department of Natural Resources, State Fish and Wildlife Officers, Sheriff Departments, and other public entities on tens of thousands of acres of endangered land!

JPK

True dat, in addition to newbie dh223s assumption that I must somehow be an "old man" and that somehow must be a real bad thing?

Also, did I mention a PERPETUAL CONSERVATION EASEMENT?

Now what are you using yours for?

Note the edit in my post.

It is true that Big Brother is watching, so please do not have fun when you are using your FLIR units in your land management practices, the f'in leftist will audit you!

Two uses through which I can see depreciation, or maybe outright deduction for some stuff. 1. Depredation control - predator and varmint hunting. 2. Finding crab and fishing net buoys in the dark and during inclement weather. RADAR doesn't cut it, spotlights have issues as well, especially in rough water or during precipitation.

Lots of fun, I'll provide the thermal heat source for the popcorn.....gotta love it!

Spock%20Win.jpg

And I am detecting large amounts of popcorn in this thread too, Spock!

Come on Guys and Gals and especially PM newbies, it's wack job Friday in the pile on FLIR/SKYPUP SHILL thread, bring it on!
tt1.gif

Somewhere, somehow, sometime, there has to be some form of alternative non-FLIR thermal performance in the future out there!

Originally Posted By: SkyPup
Somewhere, somehow, sometime, there has to be some form of alternative non-FLIR thermal performance in the future out there!

There is, you are just ignoring or crapping on every other alternative!

Originally Posted By: JPKOriginally Posted By: SkyPup

There is, you are just ignoring or crapping on every other alternative!

Cmon' guys !!!!

I can always turn on the TV and watch the "VIEW" and get a dose of this BS.

Last edited:
I know, I am thinking it must be due to Pre Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) over all the newbie wannbe thermal owners who are afraid of Global Warming.

This psychologically devastating disease has no cure except for the purchase of high tech thermal gear in order to document the increase in ambient temperatures across the globe.

With each 0.1*C change in temperature, a new thermal instrument manufacturer hopes to sell at least ten new thermal global warming instruments to the millennial generation.

It is all a scheme orchastrated and financed by Al Gore!
wub.gif

I prefer this take on the Al Gore matter, courtesy of PM member DoubleUp:

Glow Bull Warming:
He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision. Psalm 2:4

Any thermal will be better if you don't already own one. All of the new 640 thermals will induce an erection. Pick one that fits your budget and go have some fun!

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisWhere does one get that bucket of Popcorn?

send me your Flir unit and you will get the popcorn...
tt2.gif

Back