The Whole Johnny Stewart Catalog

"Bob Billy"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

no,,,its bobby bill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif,but i have been called worse,much worse,,lol
now to serious stuff,,,i ordered a replacement batter last week for a js512,,the good people at js,hs or whoever runs it,,i was told by these people that i would have to order a battery from western recreation(which puzzled me)i call and ordered it at $40 plus $10 S&H so it isn't bad at all,,battery came today,,3 day delivery which was greatly appreciated,,i open the package and pulled out the battery and when i looked at it i was dumbfounded,,there is actually 2 batteries put together and the + and - terminals from each battery are in series,,the OLD battery had a nice thick rod soldered between the - and + posts,,,the NEW battery has the 2 terminals soldered to each other by soldering a VERY VERY THIN PIECE OF COPPER HAIR to connect the 2 posts from each battery,,,this copper HAIR is maybe .010 thick,,,i have a bad feeling that when its cold or the caller is dropped or any sudden movement the HAIR THIN WIRE will break or come loose and then there goes the rest of the day/night,,,and i know someone is going to say
"solder a piece on yourself",,i CAN do this,,,but for the money why in hell didn't they do it at the factory,,,i figure they may have saved a few and I'm talking,very few pennies by using the hair thin copper wire,,but in the long run they lost more then a few pennies because I WILL NOT BUY ANY MORE JS PRODUCTS in the future,and i instructed my kids to go elsewhere for their calling equipment,,it amazes me how the little things are just brushed off by these GD money hungry conglomerates as a MINOR PROBLEM!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Please don't be too hard on Johnny Stewart / Hunters Specialties, Bob.....

It sounds to me like the demand for the 512 batteries is down to the point that JS can't keep them in stock if they want to supply their customers with items of recent manufacture. So, instead they referred you to a specialty house/manufacturer or someone who actually does move enough of them to keep a fresh stock. I would be more inclined to applaud them for their concern for the customer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Unfortunately, in doing so, they also give up all control over what is sold to you.
(They also give up the opportunity to make a profit.)

I am sure you are quite correct when you say that the thin wire is more than adequate..... I mean, look at how thin the wires are thoughtout the call. This thing just doesn't draw enough amperage to require anything more.

On the other hand, to those of us more familiar with car batteries..... A heavier link would make us feel more secure - even if it isn't needed.

I have bought a lot of Johnny Stewart / Hunters Specialties products over the years.....
I keep coming back to them.....
They have never disappointed me in any way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I have confidence in the Johnny Stewart name. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Now..... About your "Bobby Bill" name tag..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i did to,,but that was totally rediculous,,ANYONE would know better then to use a copper thread,the thickness of a human hair to tie the neg and positive post together,and anyone that has no knowledge of electronics would see that there is a big difference between the old bar type,,which is .062 thick and the "hair" type that is .010 thick!!!it is crazy to think someone can depend on this "hair" thick wire to stay on if by some bad luck the caller falls,,and we all know this can and will happen,,so by using this "hair" on their battery my weekend hunt can end because they used a 1 penny part,,,as for them being behind on production of batterys and this "western recreation" company helping out on the production,i cannot believe that scenario,,,sounds to me that hunter specialties profit went way up when they "farmed" the production of their batteries out to a different company..it's no wonder this country is going to hell in a hand basket,,i have over 300 posts on this site and none of the post's show any anger at all towards anything,,,but this is just totally rediculous!!!!!
Bob

I can address your concerns OhioBob. I was the guy who made the decision to use the "hair" wire you refer to. It actually serves as a fuse that protects your caller from damage due to problems that can arise from time to time in the charging of your caller battery. The older thick wire is so strong it can allow your caller to recieve great damage if there is a short somewhere in the system.

We made this change after a few customers had callers fry due to electrical shorts. I made the decision to use the "fuse" rated wire which would also protect the battery from customers who would use non factory authorized chargers with excessive charge rates. The decision was made with the consumer's benefit in mind, not simply to save a penny.

Many times when the consumer discovered that the wire was burned they simply would use the 800 number we provided to give us the opportunity to walk them through discovering what caused it to burn in the first place. That process caused us even higher costs, but it is part of the quality service that put us on top of the game for 40 years.

If you want to buy an inexpensive fuse holder (2 amp fuse) between the two 6 volt batteries or between the battery and charging jack, you can have the protection you desire with added replacement convenience. That is an upgrade that HS made in the development of the 612 caller that replaced the 512.

We made a number of decisions for our 512 caller that caused our cost to be significantly higher, such as a taper charger versus a constant rate charger. That cost us about a $1.20 more but it kept the battery from being over charged. When we determined that the charging jack originally used by our supplier was cheaply constructed we bought American made jacks from US electronics suppliers at $1.60 and shipped them to Taiwan until our caller supplier could find comparable quality at about $1.00 to replace the original $.30 jacks he chose to use.

Further evidence of our desire to provide our customers with quality products and service is the fact that we totally disassembled the callers that were shipped to us from Taiwan and had 10 employees that would put them through a 16 step quality control check to catch defects from the factory. This was at tremendous cost to us without a corresponding increase in the retail price. For about 30 years we essentially broke even on players so we could sell records and tapes which were our profit makers. The sounds were what kept us afloat because we wanted to be able to provide the market place with an affordable cassette player, the average Joe could afford, designed for the rugged use they were subjected to in this outdoor activity.

I can appreciate your perception of us having taken a short cut, because I find stuff like that on products I buy. You weren't privy to the facts but the perception was understandable. I hope you will not feel as badly about us now.

Last edited:
WOW!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I guess this is a good place to post this question since GS is watching this thread.
I have a fairly large collection of Johnny Stewart cassette tapes. I have a very good tape deck to transfer these sounds to my computer for editing so I can use them in my “soon to be” new Bandit. I believe the maximum frequency for tape is 16 kHz. If I order the JS sounds on CD, will there be a greater frequency range on the high end? Will I notice, or more importantly will the wildlife notice the difference in quality? I just don’t want to buy something twice if I can work with what I have.
Thanks for any information you can share,

GS i read your reply,,,my point is that by having the "hair" wire can easily be bumped or jarred and become dislodged,,which in turn can "ruin" someones plans for a weekend or to their season,,so why not something a little stronger,,and maybe include a little note with the new battery explaining this? i do love your products,but when i saw the "hair" wire,,my first concern was ,if this wire breaks my planned hunt is ruined,,and if the wire fails i will have to solder a thicker wire between the 2 posts so i don't have another wire problem,,i can do this,,but i shouldn't have to,,maybe i was a little to "excited" in my above post,,,but i'm tired of hearing about all the company's are losing money because the citizens of this country are buying from oversea's,and then they put out a bad product that nickle and dimes the consumer so much that they buy another product,,American cars/trucks are a good example,,i have a 1970 Chevy 4X4,,it is a tank,but it has lasted 36 years,,i bought a brand new Chevy 4X4 in 1990,,1 year later everything started breaking,,it was still covered by warranty,,but all the days they had the "new" truck was a great inconvenience,,and it ruined a hunt one weekend,,so i am very upset when i see changes that "benefit" the consumer
turn around and bite both party's in the @ss,,and that wasn't the only incident,,but i don't have the time to type them,,,so if i came off very aggressive I'm sorry,,i have johnny Stewart products,and they are great,,the original battery lasted for 12-13 years,which didn't surprise me because of the quality,and as far as i'm concerned JS crow tapes are the best their is,so you can imagine my surprise when i seen the "hair" wire,,so i hope it holds when its bumped or dropped by accident,,,but i thank you sir for replying,,i still think you should put a little note with the replacment battery explaining this difference in batt post connection
sorry and thank you very much for the much needed explanation,,i do apologize for being aggresive in my above post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif
Bob

No harm done and no offense taken. My first thought when I read your thread was that I did not remember ever having had much problem with the "bump" concern you expresssed. The battery when properly installed with the double sided 3M tape we supplied with the Panasonic Batteries, should not be able to move much at all. There should have been almost zero movement of the battery to begin with.

If my memory serves me correctly that wire should have been installed with a slight curve to it rather than being straight from terminal to terminal. This would allow for slight movement without breakage. That may not be the case now since that assembly is out of my control. The Western Recreation guys are good guys and would probably welcome your input on this potential problem. Give them a call.

As for putting a note in with the battery, that could be easily done by adding it to the printed installation instructions that should have come with the battery. I will give this URL to the production people at HS and suggest they look at the possible need for that. It simply was not an issue in the past but that does not mean it is not one now due to the possible changes in assembly. Thanks for the heads up.

BoudreauLa, I do not believe that you hurt yourself much at all by loading your cassette sounds into the computer if you also clean them up with some of the freeware that is available on the market. Many are doing that and having good success with their calling.

The CD sound will be cleaner and sharper but the cassette would be be effective also.

GS,

Thanks for the information. I believe I will buy at least one CD just for a side by side comparison. I do not have the Yellowhammer Woodpecker but it comes on a CD with some other sounds I have, so that will be a good to start.
Thanks again,

GS
i am humbled by your post,now that i thought about it i guess i was venting ALL my past manufacturing problems on HS and for that i do aplogize,,the wire does have more than enough slack in it to absorb a bump/fall,,,it guess it was just a big shock to see something that is .052-.055 in difference of thickness ,,,maybe its the machinist in me coming out AND the maintenance man in me coming out all together,,AND i will take the required 10 DAY cooling off period before i vent like that again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif,,i hope the vent(gun) control people dont see this or they will make it mandatory before any posts will be allowed,,lol,,again i am sorry and YOU ARE A DIPLOMAT,,where were you when i was fightin rag heads and lawyers,,lol,,G.W. should give you a job!!!! again i apoligize /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Bob

now that i am done looking like a hot head,,i hope my wife doesnt see this because getting an apology out of me is rare
GS I have a question,,the best sound i have ever found for crows is the Johnny Stewart,, death cry of a crow,,i have an old tape,it is CT 201,,all i see anymore is death cry of a crow CT 201A,,what is the difference between the 2 and do you sell a CD of nothing but crow sounds and if so will the CT201 be on it or will the CT 201A be on it? and if i get the CD and load it on my computer,can i load it straight to a caller,or is the CD a loop and i have to loop it on a computer program before loading it on to a caller?
and i notice most JS tapes now days has a yellow label,,and the older ones have a white label,is this because HS changed color when the purchased the rights?
Thank you
Bob

Bobby Bill....
It takes a VERY big man to apologize!
You're alright in my book! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

me!

Thank you Me
but im never wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif,,,nah,,i raise my kids the same way,,i tell them if they are wrong admit it and apologize for the error,,and i cant tell them one thing and me do another thing,,but when im STUPIDLY wrong i feel bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif and i my best friend was about the only one that could get me to calm down when i got worked up,,he died 11 years ago at 32,,and no one could get me to calm down and think,,BUT GS DID,,thats why he should be a diplomat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif,and GS if you are ever in Ohio let me know and i could show you around the area,,im in the boonies of Ohio but there is a lot of stuff within 10-15 miles of me,,GS maybe you can make a tape telling me to calm down and breath /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and give it to my family but GS you are all right in my book /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Bob Billy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I agree with Me but I was not looking for an apology. I have been in the manufacturing\retail business too long and understand the passion that can accompany the layout of money. You can stop that now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The old white labeled cassettes had two different sounds on them. I seperated the two sounds into two different cassettes to help the consumer avoid having to rewind the cassette to continue using their favorite sound. I actually went to yellow labels one year before selling the company because so many others had copied our "Look". We had a real effective "make-over" that year that paid off well for us.

The 201 Death Cry tape had a younger and and older crow distress and I always have felt that the younger distress was the better of the two. The 201B got the axe this year due to lagging sales. It is still a heck of a good crow call though. They are contemplating putting some that were cut, back into the line. Thanks for your loyalty to our products. I am glad they have served you well.

You are OK in my book Bob. The reason it takes me so long to respond to posts when I actually sit down to type many times is because I have to revise several times asking myself if my answer is positive or negative. My first impulse many times is to get in someones face when they say anything that gets me worked up but....I do not want to be remembered as someone who had a great product but was an A hole in the human relations department. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GS
so all you did was seperate the old crow and young crow and put them on their own seperate tape? and if so which is the cancelled one,,and now that the young/old crow combo has came to my attention,,would a young crow cry tip them off in march,,before the "NEW" young are born for this year,,or does it take a year or so for a crow to mature enough to be considered an old crow?and which would make the crows respond quicker/longer the old crow?
and when i buy a JS crow CD how many different sounds/calls are on there,and which death cry will be on there?,,sounds like i need to guard the original death cry tape at all costs,,i do know when i started calling crows quite a few years ago they took a little time to come in with the fight calls,,and then a scout bird would come in,but the first time i used the death cry tape they came in fast,hard and by threes,,so that is why i love that call so much
Thank you
Bob

The 201A is not a new born but young but being mature. The old crow is a somewhat raspier crow. I believe the CD Death Cry is the smoother "younger one".

The CD has 4 sounds.

The "old crow" is really only 1 1/2 years old. It's just one that Gerald had molested many, many times before in attempts to get just the right sound for his dad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif... After so much screaming, it's voice just became raspy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif You know - kinda like Janis Joplin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am absolutely loving the turns in this thread!
I love it when people communicate and learn!
Thanks, you guys! I'm learning a LOT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

me!

Back