The Whining Coyote:Wolf Hunt

Originally Posted By: pRoDiEuSAwesome story and congrats on the wolves. I have heard hearing a wolf howl will send chills down your spine. I'm going wolf hunting next month and I hope I get an awesome story like this one haha.

When you said you did some howls, were you using a coyote howler? If not what howler were you using? I have read that wolves absolutely hate coyotes me using a coyote howl will a lot of times bring a whole pack in because they want to kill the coyote.

I've had wolves respond to a coyote howler, it was a horn howler Mr. Horting sent me.

The ones that responded to me began like an old wind up fire alarm, it was incredible to hear, bone chilling for sure.

Congrats to the OP

WOW.... it was a good thing you could shoot well off-handed. Good shooting.

It ticks me off when I hear about them killing elk... or anything really. I watch that video where one wolf would hold onto the nose of a pregnant cow elk, while the others pulled the unborn calf out, while she was still alive... and then left her there to die a slow death. That video made me want to kill everyone of them.

I'd be like that rancher.... SHOOT'EM ALL

Hey OW I want to know how in the your going to top that one. That just seems like the icing on the cake right there. Congrats on a fine hunt and good story to boot!

There goes my hero! Cheers!
If you had to do anything over, what would it be? Different caliber, scope, bullet type, etc.? Your story has me pumped up! I think Im starting to hear the drums beat off in the distance!
wink.gif

Lol it is sure going to be tough to top that one,but there is a big alpha grey in that pack,and I think that one would top the two,as I've wanted a good colored grey all along! So still have some work too put in.
As for changing anything, the only thing that bugged me is,I was right in the middle of swapping a barrel and a new scope out in my Grendel,and wish I had it!
If you look at my gun,its half cerakote and half black! I used my Grendel lower,and my 6X45 upper.Sure wish I would of been sending a 100Gr NBT at them instead!
Oh well,the 6x45 did a good job,and sure glad I had an autoloader,It happened so fast! No way I would have got both of them with a bolt gun.
IMO the Grendel is the ultimate wolf gun.

Last edited:
Great job! Hunting them is a blast isn't it?
That color seems to be getting quite popular, here is a pic I took over the weekend.......

That really is an awesome story and an awesome hunt. Congratulations to you OverWatcher. As excited as I get when I put a yote on the ground, or pull a double or triple on red foxes, I couldn't imagine the sense of accomplishment on a wolf. Especially two! Thanks for sharing your story.

Excellent work there! Great pictures and good story, I would love to hunt those big dudes sometime.

We have wolves here in Arizona( White Mountains) they are protected but I know a lot of ranchers that wish they weren't! Nice pics!

Back