the utah legislature finally did it, please read

steve garrett

past at the last minute is a predator control bill in the legislature, it provides for a $50 bounty on coyotes as well as imposes a $5 increase in our big game permit fees to go to coyote control. $250,000 is supposed to be used for arial gunning. this is about the dummest idea I have seen yet out of our legislature. some of you may say hey it would be nice to get $50 bucks for a coyote. well there are a ton of other guys saying the same thing. this is going to bring about a whole host of issues that none of us serious callers will like.

utah DOES NOT have a coyote problem infact in all my travels in idaho, nevada, wyoming and colorado I would say generally we have the least dense coyote populations. this is a waste of our tax $$$$. I would bet money that 2/3rd of coyotes turned in will not even be from utah. so is there anything left to do, one last thing and even I think its a long shot. its on the governors desk waiting to be signed. here is a link to contact them to oppose it.

http://governor.utah.gov/goca/form_governor.html

For our county you need to be a county resident. I don't like this one bit.

The airgunners are dang good at what they do, don't believe me visit an area where they have been.

I have already heard rumors of guys stock piling coyotes in their freezers to collect on the bounty. And said coyotes are not from our state. The fish and game have already screwed up the deer herd in Utah so why not screw up the coyote population.

The gunning has already began! I say them flying over fishlake Friday couldn't figure out what the chopper was doing until it got to the south end of the lake and herd the shots start. It looked like fun to me. It will diffenatly make allot less to call.

All I can say is watch out for the weekend warriors, trying to make some money and messing it up for the rest if us that really do care and make an honest attempt at harvesting coyotes through patience and skill.

It'll be just like when California start giving $0.10 for cans. They were going to Las Vegas NV and bringing back the cans and selling them. The program was 3.4 million in the hole the second year. I'm save a few coyotes and sell them in UT when I travel there for work. I know several people who could "help me out" if needed. $50 is $50

Originally Posted By: MotoHunterIt'll be just like when California start giving $0.10 for cans. They were going to Las Vegas NV and bringing back the cans and selling them. The program was 3.4 million in the hole the second year. I'm save a few coyotes and sell them in UT when I travel there for work. I know several people who could "help me out" if needed. $50 is $50

That's how I made my fortune. I'd go to Las Vegas, buy a can of pop, dump out the contents and then turn in the can in California. Bought me a mansion withthe profits.

Originally Posted By: pk1Originally Posted By: MotoHunterIt'll be just like when California start giving $0.10 for cans. They were going to Las Vegas NV and bringing back the cans and selling them. The program was 3.4 million in the hole the second year. I'm save a few coyotes and sell them in UT when I travel there for work. I know several people who could "help me out" if needed. $50 is $50

That's how I made my fortune. I'd go to Las Vegas, buy a can of pop, dump out the contents and then turn in the can in California. Bought me a mansion withthe profits.

you would be surprised at the semi truck loads of cans they brought back! 3.4 million, 10 cents at a time is more then one empty soda can

I read Utah SB 87 and I dont see anything about a bounty.
I see they are going to add $5 cost to the big game license for predator control.

So who's property will the chopper be shooting coyotes off of? do they just hunt where they please or do they have their own land to fly over and hunt?..Will be trespassing if they shoot them on someone else's property.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that in Utah the coyote populuation is regulated by the different county governments, not by the state wildlife agency. All wildlife, including coyotes, should be under the jurisdiction of the state wildlife agency. Wildlife is state property and when private landowners are allowed to receive money for wildlife on their property, sportsmen lose.

Originally Posted By: FursniperIt is my understanding that in Utah the coyote populuation is regulated by the different county governments, not by the state wildlife agency. All wildlife, including coyotes, should be under the jurisdiction of the state wildlife agency. Wildlife is state property and when private landowners are allowed to receive money for wildlife on their property, sportsmen lose.

it would be a mistake to take a non protected species and protect it that is a motive the antis haveing been trying to do for years in new mexico and other states coyotes should remain unprotected and under no ones authority picture this when thy do become protected many guys could be prosecuted for thigs such as wanton waste there could also become seasons and bag limits do you realy want that? as far as private landowners and the bounty system that is there buisness one thing people over look about private landwners is many of them who graze on public lands arent doing so for free they have to provide improvements to the land before doing so such as water on there deeded land many over look the fact that many big game as well as predator species depend on that water as well as the feed theyre are getting. before you decide to go agaisnt private property rights you may consider what the landowners are doing for that wildlife if they wanted to they could lock the gate shut off the water and let no one in and before folks start to say they dont let many folks in lets consider a few things people trah private land leave there trash shotgun shells leave gates open camp on waterers destroy roads and dump that may be a big issue why private land owners arent willing to let many folks in or charge them a fee after all why shouldnt they be able to receive tags for big game species and let there family hunt or charge others to hunt? if predator hunters are concerned about getting charged to shoot coyotes i wouldnt if that happens dont pay theres alot of public land

i dont know if i support the bounty system not because i beleive its wrong but it needs to be more secure but putting protection on coyotes or any other nuisance animals would be a decision with alot of unintended consequences

Last edited:
Back