The Supremes

I agree 100% kymailman98.
They (gays and their sympathizers) continue to shove their deviate life style in our faces nonstop. They go out of their way (flaming!) to make sure we see and have to endure them.. Nearly every [beeep] TV program has to have one or two, their gay parades, marriage, the government telling us how we HAVE to deal with them. They themselves have caused the majority of the resentment felt toward them. It's none of my business what they do behind the privacy of their closed doors, but I'm sick of their non stop barrage. I don't get how they are only 3% of our population, yet they seem to have endless influence on our so called leaders.

lemme just toss something out to chew on:

Let's say this was guns. say the people voted for a state amendment to ban guns, a federal district court heard a suit over it and said the same thing:

"Nope, violates the federal constitution" and then it was sent to the USSC, who decided to let that ruling stand and not hear it.

Would you guys be so honked off that "we the people" were ignored?

Originally Posted By: tnshootistSupreme court ruled that the people of TN have no say in how we run our state.Our constitution and amendments mean nothing.Gay people have more rights than the whole rest of the state.The amendment voted on and passed by the people of the state means nothing.If all the other stuff going on now makes good cover for the all powerful government to promote gay agenda,the most important issue at hand.

Man, there's some misinformed people out there that talk about the constitution and amendments, even though they obviously don't know squat about either one. Read and learn.

First, the Supreme Court didn't rule on anything to do with Tennessee. Look it up. All the Supreme Court's rulings are online. Show me the one where they ruled against Tennessee's ban on gay marriage.

If you took the time to actually educate yourself a little about something you should have learned in school before the age of 12, you will, in fact, discover that the Supreme Court refused to hear cases related to gay marriage bans in 5 states. None of which were TN, by the way.

Everybody with me so far? Good. Read on and learn.

This refusal to take up the cases is NOT the same as ruling on them. In these cases, the Supreme Court's refusal to hear the case, essentially leaves the verdict of the lower Circuit Court of Appeals ruling intact. So in the case of the 5 state-level bans that had already been ruled unconstitutional by the circuit court of appeals, the Supreme Courts refusal to hear the cases means the rulings stand. For now.

Many people of limited intelligence are confused by this, because refusing to hear a case seems (to them at least) to have the same effect as "ruling in favor". But it does not.

The Supreme Court ONLY rules on the constitutionality of laws. There are still over 25 challenges to various gay marriage bans working their way through the various Appeals courts. These challenges currently are spread across over 12 different areas of the Constitution. To date, the only appeals that have found their way to the Supreme Court are challenging the ban on gay marriage based on the 14th Amendment's "equal protection clause". By refusing to hear the cases, the Court is essentially saying, "nothing there", the lower court is right, equal protection extends to marriage and the Constitution of the United States does not say anything about equal protection under the law except if you want to marry someone that's the same sex as you.

So that leaves appeals in play based on about 11 other Constitutional angles that the Supreme Court could still hear and rule upon. Including Tennessee's ban.

See? You were completely wrong, but you learned something didn't you?

Grouse

Quote:Or,live my lifestyle and keep it to my self.

Now there's a novel idea. Wouldn't it be nice if the fa "alternative lifestyle" folks follow suit & return to their closets.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseOriginally Posted By: tnshootistSupreme court ruled that the people of TN have no say in how we run our state.Our constitution and amendments mean nothing.Gay people have more rights than the whole rest of the state.The amendment voted on and passed by the people of the state means nothing.If all the other stuff going on now makes good cover for the all powerful government to promote gay agenda,the most important issue at hand.

Man, there's some misinformed people out there that talk about the constitution and amendments, even though they obviously don't know squat about either one. Read and learn.

First, the Supreme Court didn't rule on anything to do with Tennessee. Look it up. All the Supreme Court's rulings are online. Show me the one where they ruled against Tennessee's ban on gay marriage.

If you took the time to actually educate yourself a little about something you should have learned in school before the age of 12, you will, in fact, discover that the Supreme Court refused to hear cases related to gay marriage bans in 5 states. None of which were TN, by the way.

Everybody with me so far? Good. Read on and learn.

This refusal to take up the cases is NOT the same as ruling on them. In these cases, the Supreme Court's refusal to hear the case, essentially leaves the verdict of the lower Circuit Court of Appeals ruling intact. So in the case of the 5 state-level bans that had already been ruled unconstitutional by the circuit court of appeals, the Supreme Courts refusal to hear the cases means the rulings stand. For now.

Many people of limited intelligence are confused by this, because refusing to hear a case seems (to them at least) to have the same effect as "ruling in favor". But it does not.

The Supreme Court ONLY rules on the constitutionality of laws. There are still over 25 challenges to various gay marriage bans working their way through the various Appeals courts. These challenges currently are spread across over 12 different areas of the Constitution. To date, the only appeals that have found their way to the Supreme Court are challenging the ban on gay marriage based on the 14th Amendment's "equal protection clause". By refusing to hear the cases, the Court is essentially saying, "nothing there", the lower court is right, equal protection extends to marriage and the Constitution of the United States does not say anything about equal protection under the law except if you want to marry someone that's the same sex as you.

So that leaves appeals in play based on about 11 other Constitutional angles that the Supreme Court could still hear and rule upon. Including Tennessee's ban.

See? You were completely wrong, but you learned something didn't you?

Grouse

Huh?

Grouse you remind me of a teacher I had in school many years ago. He was a smart azz to. The fed court ruled TN must recognize gay marriage some months ago. When you come to Dollywood give me a shout,we can have a cup and I will show you some sights.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistGrouse you remind me of a teacher I had in school many years ago. He was a smart azz to. The fed court ruled TN must recognize gay marriage some months ago. When you come to Dollywood give me a shout,we can have a cup and I will show you some sights.

Correct. The 6th District Court of Appeals has a pending case, but the Supreme Court has neither ruled nor been asked to rule on Tennessee's law. Appeals cases move at a glacial pace, so don't expect the Supreme Court to address TN specifically anytime soon. If at all.

Most of the heavy Constitutional geeks are saying the most likely path with any court is a challenge based on the assertion that governance of marriage is not specifically called out as a Federal power in the Constitution, so therefore it belongs to the states. So it'll be interesting to see how that one plays given...

However, then we're caught it a Catch 22 because the 14th Amendment says equal protection and when ANY level of government is providing benefits to one person, it cannot deny the same benefits to all. Voting, driving, marriage, whatever. So the states could have the right to regulate marriage, but not to deny it because of the governmental, societal, and legal benefits that marriage carries.

The founders of this country gifted us a tremendous paradox that both benefits us and vexes us at the same time. If you study the history, you will see that in many cases these men knew what they didn't know and they built that in. But, of course, that leaves us with huge questions that they provided no specific answers for.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishand yet somehow the 14th doesn't apply to CCW's

What case are you referring to?

Or are you misunderstanding "protection" to mean "personal protection"?

The equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment refers to equal protection under the law. Essentially, it was in reaction to the English tendency to grant rights and legal protections only to the upper classes while denying everyone else the same right.

The "protection" the 14th refers to is not a right to protection from physical harm, it's protection from the government playing favorites.

BTW, before we go too far with this Supreme Court bashing fad, some might want to do a little research on gun owners recent track record with the Court. If you want to bash some courts, I would focus instead on state courts in IL, CA, and other states that are allowing police and local levels of government to ignore the Constitution and to continue de facto enforcement of gun laws that have been struck down.

Grouse

equal protection applies to things we enjoy under our state govts, such as driving & marriage licenses. If they're issued by any state they must be recognized in all other states.

Somehow our CCW's enjoy unique exclusion from this reality.

and the USSC has never made a decision on that yet, it's just how it is & why we have an effort being made in congress to pass a law specifically requiring that they be recognized.

I am probably wrong again,but I thought I heard that NC is allowing gay marriage now.The supreme court was no help so a federal judge struck down the states rights, I mean law.

Kansas supreme court just blocked the issuance of same sex marriage licenses. We may end up losing to the deviates but we're gonna put up one heIIuva fight first.

thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

Regards,
hm

Back