The Journey or the Destination?

Good things to think about.. Thank you for sharing that.

I didn't even think about the prison cell effect. Guess you have to be careful how spicy you make the meals. lol

The shower is all figured out and is really nice. 5 gallons per shower, and the large bottles are easy to transport and fill. The pump is a sprayer pump, so when it reaches pressure as a result of no water flow, it automatically shuts off. The heater automatically turns off the propane with the absence of water flow... so they work marvelously together. The shower has been graced with the nicest of comments by all whom have used it. After a long tough hunt, a freezing cold mountain stream can feel good... so this shower feels straight up heavenly.

A9YvYdE.jpg

Sadly I haven't figured out anything nearly as clever for solid waste management that doesn't use an abundance of water. The bags are pretty convenient, and easily disposed of. I'm not sure how to make it better other than coming up with something more comfortable to sit on than a bucket, and venting the unfriendly fumes.

These aren't horrible and you can use post hole digger (especially in sandy soil) to dump.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Thetford-...g&gclsrc=ds

The porta potti will fit in shower stall same as your current facility.

Sure glad you mentioned getting that butane tank outside. Could be disastrous if safety valve lifted indoors (a possibility if you brought in a cold/full tank and turned on heater), especially if source of ignition present.

Just color me plum scairt of butane; used to load/unload two 500,000 gallon butane barges at a time.
scared.gif

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hm1996These aren't horrible and you can use post hole digger (especially in sandy soil) to dump.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Thetford-...g&gclsrc=ds

The porta potti will fit in shower stall same as your current facility.

Sure glad you mentioned getting that butane tank outside. Could be disastrous if safety valve lifted indoors (a possibility if you brought in a cold/full tank and turned on heater), especially if source of ignition present.

Just color me plum scairt of butane; used to load/unload two 500,000 gallon butane barges at a time.
scared.gif

Regards,
hm Just a quick note; we aren't using butane... but rather propane.

Down here, we use LPG referred to as butane, up north it is called propane. I suspect that both are butane/propane mixes and the difference is the % of ea gas used, but cannot verify that. Butane boils at a higher temperature than propane:

Boiling Point butane = 30.2°F (-1°C)

Boiling Point propane-43.6°F (-42°C)

I do know I took a travel trailer to Ks. after filling the LPG tanks in S.Tx. @ around 60*. It was -3* in Wichita IIRC and my furnace wouldn't work because the S. Tx. "butane" remained in liquid state in the tanks. Once refilled tanks up north, no problem due to boiling point of the different gasses.

Quote:Butane vs Propane: Differences

Now that we have looked at the similarities, we will look at the differences in butane and propane. We will start off by looking at the properties of butane.

Although propane is more popular, butane continues to be used as a fuel source. It is used as a fuel in stoves, cigarette lighters and even in aerosol sprays as a propellant. Besides, butane is cheaper than propane, but comparatively, it is more difficult to use, so it is not very commonly available and not many gadgets, devices are designed to be used with butane as fuel source.

But you should know that butane is more efficient than propane when used as fuel. If same volume of butane and propane is burned at temperature above freezing, butane will end up providing 12% more energy than propane. Thus, butane can be the preferred choice when it is available in adequate amounts since it is energy-efficient and also has an advantage of cheaper price.

Unlike butane, propane is available more easily in small portable tanks and is used widely for heating houses. It is used as a fuel in gas barbeques, lanterns and camping stoves. Automobiles run on liquefied petroleum gas or LPG which is made by mixing propane with other fuels like butylene, propylene or butane.

When the fuel needs to be stored for a long time, propane is a better choice than butane. It stores well in variable weather conditions and even below freezing temperature will not affect the storage conditions of propane because of its propetries.

When people need to go camping, hiking or mountain climbing, especially in cold weather, propane is preferred over butane as a fuel for cooking. Since propane gas is odorless, leaks are harder to detect. For this reason, ethanethiol is mixed with propane so that leaks can be easily detected.

http://www.enkivillage.com/butane-vs-propane.html

Probably a lot more information than you wanted to know, but both are similar in that they boil at low temperatures and can increase pressure as the tank warms up. If the tank temp. increases sufficiently the relief valve can open and discharge flammable gas (which, by the way is heavier than air and can accumulate as explosive mixture in low places.)

Learned that the hard way trying to light a furnace that the main supply valve, unbeknown to me, had leaked through enough to form the explosive mix in the furnace. The resulting explosion was sufficient to blow the furnace vent cap about 30' in the air and resulted in 2nd degree burns on my hand. Needless to say, I have a great respect for butane or propane.

Regards,
hm

Very nice writeup. I think anyone who's hunted for any length of time can appreciate your words. I've had plenty of hunts where we drove hundreds of miles, made countless stands...and didn't see a thing. In my younger years if I went 20 dry stands in a row I'd be pissed, it made me mad and I started hunting harder. As I've aged I don't seem to care as much. Now I appreciate the terrain, the quiet, the anticipation - much more than I used to.

So true tawnoper..

It is the Journey for me.

Ironically this year has been my favorite Elk hunt ever.. I didn't even have a tag. I was asked to come help a friend of mine who had an Any Elk muzzle loader tag and also had a junior (cow) tag for his 13yr old son's first elk.

Best hunt I have been on in year. I wasn't worried about the weather, the place, where we were, or anything. I was just there to help.
The young man filled his tag the first day and with several of us there to help, it took about an hour to recover, dress, skin and debone the whole thing. In the meantime someone else was cooking dinner, and there were 3 teenagers there that were getting to see how it's done and learning.
They even learned how to chop firewood.
wink.gif

After that Junior hunt was over, he took the Elk to the processor, the rest of us packed up the camp and moved to the other location. Set up camp and was waiting for them when we got there.

Several days later he filled his tag as well.

Great hunt, young men learning how to act like men. spending time in the field, and hanging out. We could have used that shower though..

Originally Posted By: tawnoperIn my younger years if I went 20 dry stands in a row I'd be pissed, it made me mad and I started hunting harder. As I've aged I don't seem to care as much. Now I appreciate the terrain, the quiet, the anticipation - much more than I used to. I think I'm in the middle of that transition myself. I still find myself getting frustrated. Not nearly so much as I had in years past. Believe it or not, my most recent trip has illuminated something for me. Bringing my DSLR has helped me endure blank sets better than I could have imagined. There is so much beauty there for those that stop to look.

I'm saddened by the fact that this website restricts image sizes down to such a tiny scale. Looks to be about 600 pixels. Would be great if that size was bumped up to 1024 or something reasonable.

Originally Posted By: orkanI'm saddened by the fact that this website restricts image sizes down to such a tiny scale. Looks to be about 600 pixels. Would be great if that size was bumped up to 1024 or something reasonable.

Amen. The image size restrictions here are about 15 years behind the curve. I know sometimes I don't bother to post pictures here that I do on other sites.

It's almost all journey for me anymore. Except I still really don't want to get skunked. But once I have one coyote in the truck I don't much care whether I get any more.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAI know sometimes I don't bother to post pictures here that I do on other sites I'm guilty of that as well. Thousands of dollars in camera, lenses, and software... only to have it smushed down to an image only marginally larger than a thumbnail. Seems such a waste. It made perfect sense when most people's computers were only displaying 800x600 resolution. However now, the very minimum is 1280x960.

I'll start a thread Dave. Lets see if we can get this changed.

here it is: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...mp;#Post3002851

thanks for taking the time to do the write up and picture sharing. And as others have mentioned, I once took it personal when I got a goose egg after a long day of calling often trying to figure out what I did wrong, but I've come to realize that no matter how good you are or how long you've been at it, sometimes the coyotes just don't respond. And it's alright, because a goose egg day out in god's great creation is better than a day at the office.

Back