The importance of setup and quality gear

hunt0168

An acquaintance that hasn’t hunted predators in quite awhile asked if I would take him out calling and give him some tips as he was rarely successful when he night hunted. I agreed as long as he supplied the properties. He had 2 places in mind and I scoped them out with OnX and did a drive by during daylight hours. One property was really nice with a secluded field.

Problem 1…He could only hunt Friday night and the wind wasn’t ideal for this spot. I told him we should wait for better conditions. He said it had to be that night and he wanted to try regardless. I agreed to assess it and make the best of what we had to work with.

Problem 2… He only ever used red lights and his didn’t work anymore. I told him he could use my gun with thermal scope. I would just scan and call the shots. I had him come over and got him familiar with the optic. The rifle was perched atop my tripod which he liked but had never shot off of before. He’s a “hefty” guy so I gave him the option to sit and use my Swagger bipod which he really liked. He was using my folding stool during this familiarization session. He said he had his own chair, but it creaks. I said that’s no good. So we loaded his truck with the gear and my stool for him to use.

We got to the spot and got everything situated at the truck in total darkness. We walked in about 100 yards to the field and the wind was terrible. He said we could sit anywhere, to which I replied “It doesn’t work like that.” Our best option was to sit very close to where we were currently standing due to the wind hitting us in the back of our heads. There was a slight rise in the terrain which wouldn’t be a problem if he was on the tripod but sitting he would need to have a coyote get inside of 70 yards. We setup near an edge and I told him where to sit and how things would work. He’d sit, I would stand, scan and alert him of incoming. When he sat down I heard a popping sound! Yep… he had unbeknownst to me grabbed his chair. Okay, whatever? I had to keep the caller pretty tight to us because of the rise. I told him to favor the right side of the field because that was the downwind and most probable direction they’d come from.

I started my calling and we had a bunch of deer scatter. I went through a few different sounds and a coyote appeared right where I expected them to.. right side of field, downwind of the caller, 50 yards out. I whispered “coyote, right” and he got on the scope but wasn’t lined up so he shifted in the creaky seat and the coyote bolted back into cover. He did see it through the scope but no way he could get a shot.

I told him his seat caused the coyote to bolt and it’s possible that it winded us as well. I then explained the reasons I’m so anal about EVERYTHING and the reasons I didn’t want to do the setup in the first place. I think it was an eye opener for him and it may have helped him understand why his previous attempts at calling weren’t successful. He beat himself up enough that I didn’t have to.

The second property went better with a quieter seat but no coyotes showed up to the party. Just thought I’d share the experience.

Last edited:
I have had similar experiences when "attempting" to mentor novice hunters. It is hard for them to give up their pre-conceived ideas of what and how to do unfamiliar endeavors.

I don’t have a predator hunting experience, but I do have a turkey hunting experience to share.
Basically same scenario, ole boy knew he had turkeys so we’d hunt his land. I told him to just get us close (within a couple hundred yards) of where he thought the turkeys were roosted. We leave the truck and he turns on his headlamp to white light. I told him no lights if we were close or red light at worst. We said they’re across the clearcut near the creek.
Well we trample through that clearcut like a heard of buffaloes. When we finally reached the creek I asked how much farther he thought they were from our spot? His answer, right here. There’s my deer stand I’d see them from all the time.
I told him let’s go get breakfast and we’d try again later, lol. We got back to the truck and I purposely waited until daylight to listen…heard NOTHING!
He thought his “deer season” turkeys that came around his stand while he’s decked out in orange wouldn’t pay any attention to him. In his words they were practically tame.
A few hunts and him understanding Springtime turkeys will see you blink at 100yds and he finally bagged his first turkey. We had a couple encounters before that, but excessive movement on his part boogered any attempt at a shot.
Once it all came together I turned him loose and while he didn’t kill another bird that year, the following year he was successful doing it all by himself.
With that said, I’ve learned a lot of things by myself through research and trial and error.
Good on ya for showing someone the “right” way! I bet just seeing one lit that fire even more!

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. I won't tolerate even 1 piece of marginal equipment. Some guys get it and some never will. I've heard nightmare stories about buddies taking door slamming warerfoul guys out night hunting. Drives me nuts when people will tolerate junk equipment and will short cut a set up. To me thats the fun part is the precise setup details. Can't understand how people will just continue missing coyotes or blowing stands and not think twice about it. I guess it's not as painful for them. Idk.

Last edited:
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. I won't tolerate even 1 piece of marginal equipment. Some guys get it and some never will. I've heard nightmare stories about buddies taking door slamming warerfoul guys out night hunting. Drives me nuts when people will tolerate junk equipment and will short cut a set up. To me thats the fun part is the precise setup details. Can't understand how people will just continue missing coyotes or blowing stands and not think twice about it. I guess it's not as painful for them. Idk.
There are certainly people that fit the description you are pointing out. But there are also people that need to have certain things pointed out to know what it is they’re doing wrong?

I have a lot of patience with most things. Ignorance included. What I don’t have patience for is people that ignore the obvious, take shortcuts and never learn from mistakes. Once you have had an experience once or twice you should learn and understand what lead up to that experience and the outcome. If you approach it again and try a different angle for a better outcome, you have at least made an attempt to better the experience and it may or may not have? But again, it should be a learning experience to ponder and make you less ignorant in the endeavor, whatever it may be?

Like anything in life, the people that constantly strive for improvement have the best chance of success.

I don’t know this guy well enough to know if he’ll ever excel at coyote hunting? My gut tells me no. But he did take a step to ask me for help. Now if I keep getting asked to take him out without him heading out himself… well that’s going to tell me everything I need to know! Time will tell.

New coyote hunters certainly educate a lot of coyotes.

I don't know how long their memory lasts after a near death experience, but all of my bird dogs would go the exact same bush, year after year, that they once found a pheasant in.

New coyote hunters certainly educate a lot of coyotes.

I don't know how long their memory lasts after a near death experience, but all of my bird dogs would go the exact same bush, year after year, that they once found a pheasant in.
I don’t know how long they remember bad encounters either, but I’ve got a story for you that might just pertain to this?

4 years ago I got permission to hunt a dairy farmers properties. He owns a lot and it’s broken up over several parcels. He said I could predator hunt but only after deer seasons ended because he allows his work hands to hunt deer. Fair enough.

First time I hunt it I got setup right at sunset. I let it get a little darker and was about to make my first calls when I hear voices and see red lights coming over the rise. Farmer’s neighbor and a buddy gonna call coyotes. I talked to him and neither of us were told that anybody else would be hunting predators. He said he calls it all the time and always gets responses but never gets shots. None of this surprised me after I heard them talking, red lights blazing across wide open field and “I call it all the time” comment.

Anyway, they left and I stayed. I gave things awhile to calm down and started calling. Immediately I have a coyote warning barking over the rise. It faded off barking. It circled into different timber block barking. Never stopped barking! This wasn’t a case of it winded or seen me. Just hearing a call triggered it.

I went back a few weeks later. Same area, different location. Throw out some calls and pretty soon warning barks back in the woods.

I got permission from another landowner on the other road to come in from a different angle. Yep… Warning barks.

To get to my point, I’ve hunted in and around that mouthy smartazz coyote for 4 years and every year it’s been the same coyote doing the same routine. Stays just out of sight, over a rise, behind a hedgerow, in a block of timber… Doesn’t matter if it’s mouth calls, e-calls, distress, vocals. 4 years! And I know it’s the same coyote. Same voice. Same cadence. Same routine. And I’ve often said If it ever does make a mistake and show itself, I don’t know if I would pull the trigger?! Lol…

I have killed a couple coyotes there, but I know they weren’t that one. How do I know you ask?… Because 2 times this season I have sat and listened to that mouthy SOB!

Also, you have to realize that some people take certain kinds of hunting more/less serious than others. Like me with squirrels, I just go walk through the woods and shoot em' if I see em'. If I kill some I do, if I don't, I don't. On the flip side of that, I know people who take squirrel hunting very seriously. I probably wouldn't pair good with one of them. LoL

I would have just left as soon as he insisted on going in with the wrong wind and before he even had a chance to pull out his noisy stool

I would have just left as soon as he insisted on going in with the wrong wind and before he even had a chance to pull out his noisy stool
If It was my spot and I was also going to be shooting, I would have left also. No question there! This was HIS hunt and I was there to give him some tips and no pointers.

I can tell you that in my occupation, when training new hires, it’s rare that someone fully understands why they need to do things a certain way to get good results. But as soon as they don’t do it the right way things become obvious. If mistakes do not become obvious, they don’t last long in my department. Sometimes it’s easier to explain what went wrong than it is to explain why things went right. Pain, whether physical or mental, is a great teacher!

Last edited:
So what is your definition of marginal, adequate and quality equipment?
I love that you ask these kind of questions Erich!

It’s a bit subjective and circumstantial of course, as my definition or preference may be different from the next guy, but I’ll try.

Marginal would lend itself to using what you have available to you. Using a firearm that may be more suited to squirrel hunting for example. It will get it done under certain conditions with limitations. Marginal equipment could be used to get started, but with the understanding that it’s not ideal and may cost you some animals. Okay for solo hunting, but don’t expect more serious and experienced hunters to let you tag along.

Adequate equipment would be more along the lines of using a rifle more suited for deer. Not ideal again, but it would certainly get the job done. Or a seat that may be better suited for the beach. Big and cumbersome but as long as it’s quiet when you move, it can certainly work.

Quality equipment would simply be items chosen specifically for a certain task. Items proven to be beneficial to the task. Rifles, optics, calls, footwear etc that reduce the variables and favor the hunter and not the quarry.

Just my opinions. Your mileage may vary?

My hat is off to you folks that take people out coyote hunting. I know personally that I don’t have the patience, I’ve done it before and will most likely never do it again. Unless one of my girls wants to tag along then I’m game! My expectations will be low but that’s ok.

I think for me it’s just something I enjoy doing alone, I started out teaching myself and figuring it out, while failing a lot before I shot my first coyote. I have no problem giving someone tips, but hunting with them…. So like I said, well done to you all that are trying to help folks.

Thanks, a lot of times people equate quality with expensive. I wouldn't want to scare off a new by from the sport because they don't have top of the line gear.

@ Tugboater…I just think back to the guy that was good enough to take me out and get me started. He was a fox caller. Didn’t have patience for coyotes and 27 years ago we didn’t have as many coyotes as we do today. He took me out twice and I shot a Grey Fox on trip 1 and a Red Fox on trip 2. He would only hunt on snowy ground with enough moonlight to see without lights. He didn’t like lights, and at the time I couldn’t blame him. It was before light technology didn’t require some wired up heavy battery. He was pretty successful for the amount of time he hunted. He just passed away a few days ago. I feel that we should pay those acts of mentorship forward.

I have mentored youth and women’s turkey hunts and goose hunts several times. I find it incredibly rewarding.

I’ve always been a solo act with my predator hunting. There’s been a couple times where my brother would give it a try but it’s just not his thing. He recently gave it another try with me and got his first Grey Fox. He’s still not overly excited about it. Most people think I’m insane for sitting in the dark and cold, while calling things with teeth! Lol. It truly is my favorite form of hunting.

Last edited:
My best hunting experiences with other people were when I was a kid, if that tells you anything. I swore off of hunting with others probably 25-30 years ago with a book load of bad stories, until last year. A newbie neighbor wanted my help coyote hunting, long story short didn't end well he had NO trigger discipline. Before we left the house we talked this out, "If" the coyote was coming from the left, the shooter on the left got 1st shot, coyote coming from the right shooter on right side gets 1st shot. I was on the left and coyote was coming from the left and he took 1st shot. That right there ended it, never hunt with him again we have rifles in our hands these aren't squirt guns. Now, kids might be a different story, they're young enough to listen to you, absorb, and follow instructions and actually learn something. Regarding quality equipment I say get the best you can afford, buy once and cry once.

My best hunting experiences with other people were when I was a kid, if that tells you anything. I swore off of hunting with others probably 25-30 years ago with a book load of bad stories, until last year. A newbie neighbor wanted my help coyote hunting, long story short didn't end well he had NO trigger discipline. Before we left the house we talked this out, "If" the coyote was coming from the left, the shooter on the left got 1st shot, coyote coming from the right shooter on right side gets 1st shot. I was on the left and coyote was coming from the left and he took 1st shot. That right there ended it, never hunt with him again we have rifles in our hands these aren't squirt guns. Now, kids might be a different story, they're young enough to listen to you, absorb, and follow instructions and actually learn something. Regarding quality equipment I say get the best you can afford, buy once and cry once.
I am a real stickler about who I hunt with and that is very few people. I do have a handful of like minded friends and family that I have zero issues with. Every once in awhile someone new gets in on a group hunt for geese or whatever and I swear I spend every minute watching that person. I’m pretty vocal (but fair) when I see something that shouldn’t be! I see and say something more than once, somebody is leaving the hunt! It’s usually not me!

As for quality gear, yeah, get the best you can. To me it’s less that quality means high priced. You just really need quality performing gear that you aren’t fighting to make work. If I need to think about how to move in a seat or a tree stand so it doesn’t make a noise, I don’t want it in the field no matter how expensive or inexpensive it is. If I have to be hyper critical thinking about my equipment so it doesn’t screw me up at the moment of truth, I have made a poor choice in my equipment. I try to keep controllable variables in my favor, not the animal I’m pursuing.

Back